Central locking blues, 505 GTI wagon
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Central locking blues, 505 GTI wagon

Can anyone help with a starting point on my '89 GTI wagon's central locking? Unlocking the driver's door with the key unlocks all doors, but locking it won't lock any of the others. Has anyone else come across a similar fault?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

nJm

Yes, happens a bit in my '83 GR sedan. As far as I know it is the actual mechanisms in the individual doors. It is fairly easy to just get a new central locking kit from JB Hifi or similar.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole

Default Central locking GTI Wagon.

No, failure was of all other 4 locks (3door, 1 tailgate) at the same time. Thought it may have been the sender in the driver's door not sending a signal to the central unit, but when I unlock the driver's door I hear a relay-like clicking behind the dash. Leads me to believe it is the main CL unit not sending a signal to the other doors.
    Does anyone know if the unit repairable, and if not, is the Series 2 central locking unit behind the dash the same as a Series 1?
    Also, how do you replace the bulb in the clock in these cars? In my old STI it was a piece of cake, but the Series 2's one seems a bit harder. I have removed a cover to the left of the clock, but it's still not obvious how to remove the clock and I'm a bit worried about breaking some fragile French plastic stuff. Noticed yesterday a front parking light not working (due to a decaying plastic bulb-holder) A bit of a worry really, given the marque's reputation for longevity. This car is only 15 years old (a pup in Pug years)
    Any help appreciated.
    Dave.

To change the clock bulb you have to remove the whole plastic console .
    It is easy, two screws one is behind the plastic cover you removed next to the clock ,the other one is behind the ashtray
    If you undo these two screws and pull the console out from the left hand side first it will expose the back of the clock so you can change the bulb
    regards jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Fellow Frogger!

A good article on clock bulb changing

http://www.pcug.org.au/~mcnamee/pac/...5gticlocks.htm

Tadpole

Default Central locking blues

Thanks for the advice on the clock bulb.
    The central locking seemed to fix itself after a few days. Suspect the electrics should have "Lucas" on them. Back in love with the car....

Dave

Thread Information