retarded
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: retarded

Default retarded

I finally got my mi16 back yesterday after some major heart surgery.

Got new engine mounts, new cv boots new power steering boots new gear linkages etc etc etc. all the little jobs that have needed doing since i bought it a year ago.

I also had the valve timing checked, as there was a suspicion that when my old mechanic changed the timing belt last year (not being a pug mechanic) that he may have tightened the tensioners wrong....

well. he did!

my inlet cam was retarded by 9 degrees and exhaust by about 2!! poor thing, no wonder she was a bit slow!

needless to say, the car feels absolutely amazing now. No more slop in the gearbox (the bell-housing linkage was allowing about an inch and a half movement in the 3rd-4th line) no more slop between gears as the engine shifts around, and a bunch more nice smooth controllable power!

I really liked my car before, but now... well, lets just say my girlfriend sometimes wonders who im talking to. her or the car!

Advertisement

heres my baby...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retarded-puggit2.jpg  
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Sounds great!

Who did the work?

Nice one,
    Which mechanic did you take it to? I need to take my Mi16 to get a few minor issues sorted...
    I had a similar problem regarding the timing , my mechanic left the knock sensor unplugged after installing a re-furb engine, causing the engine timing to retard. I told him the car felt alot slower, he said it's all in my head. The problem wen't unsolved for two years untill PeterT spotted it. Once plugged back in the car ran & perfomed alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Who did the work?
    everypugs best friend - Paul Vassalo!

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    So... you've got the vernier pulleys on it??
    nope, no verniers. Thats how far the timing was out just due to poor belt instalation! im looking at going down the peter t cam road soonish... if i do that ill definately get verniers put on.

As for the colour... you like it?? its the hardest car to keep clean! even in this sydney weather of dryness (or non-weather), everytime i wash it it seems to rain just for 5 minutes, so i get those lovely brown splotches all over it!

That photo was taken at 6 in the morning last sunday after washing it saturday arvo and then leaving it in a parking station all night... only way to keep it clean!!

Quote Originally Posted by jason20
    I had a similar problem regarding the timing , my mechanic left the knock sensor unplugged after installing a re-furb engine, causing the engine timing to retard. I told him the car felt alot slower, he said it's all in my head. The problem wen't unsolved for two years untill PeterT spotted it. Once plugged back in the car ran & perfomed alot better.
    yeah.. i thought it was all in my head too. i had the original belt replaced when i bought the car just over a year ago, and i always did wonder if it was right. dont get me wrong, my old mechanic was a good bloke and mechanic (he saved my old mazda from death many times!), and tried to do the right thing, but he just didnt know the ins and outs of the car. I think that makes all the difference when youre dealing with such a car.

i think the biggest difference is in how tight the car now feels though, i think you remarked on the same thing when you got your engine mount done.. huge difference!

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Quote Originally Posted by enthused!
    everypugs best friend - Paul Vassalo!
    Aah good stuff!

You might have seen my silver BX there awaiting Pauls magic. It's blown a head gasket, so am comtemplating a bit of a rebuild.....and maybe Peter's cam. Still a bit unsure though. I may as well if everything is in bits and pieces but am just a bit tentative of long-term reliability and also the problem with selling a 'modified' car.

i think the biggest difference is in how tight the car now feels though, i think you remarked on the same thing when you got your engine mount done.. huge difference!
    True, new mounts made the car feel alot smoother..

I'll give Paul a call this week.

Oh NO!

Thats a real pity man, I had a look at your car while i was over there, stunning example of a bx!

Id be interested to know what you think if you get the cam done. I dont think selling it would be a problem, no one has to know that youve got a modded cam in there...

I wouldn't mention it unless it was noticed... i.e. the person might have driven a stock one before,

them: "hmm, this doesn't feel stock, whats done to it"
    me: "It's tha fully shick pod filter bro, sheez a beast mate"

But I mentioned mine had a cam job when i had an add posted on here. Selling one of these is never easy, stock or modified, it all depends how far your willing to drop your pants whether you'll sell or not. Ask 'Madbiker'

as i understand it, the old mechanic lined it all up ok ands everything - even used a high-tech texta to mark the pulleys and the belt - special 'quipment that!

where he went wrong was in the tightening of the tensioners - theyre supposed to be tightened anti-clockwise, not clockwise... if u didnt know better, id say it would be an easy mistake to make.

so jason20... have you given up on selling yours? you seen the light and decided to keep it??

Cal

Nice car, nice photo.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Wouldn't say I've given up, I didn't really try hard to sell it in the first place..
    Kinda changed my mind. Although it's a frustrating pain in the ass alot of the time because it's built like a wet bog roll (falls apart in your hands), it's not easy to part with. I love driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Nice car, nice photo.
    Cal.
    cheers!

cant half guess what my computers' desktop looks like huh?

i understand J, it would be hard to say goodbye...

Thread Information