Oil pressure gauge reliability
  • Register
  • Help

Default Oil pressure gauge reliability

Hi,
    I'm having problems with the oil pressure gauge in my 205. While the oil is cold (ie. before the oil temp gauge reaches the 1st bar, during the first 5-10 mins of driving) the pressure is great, up around the 4th bar. But as soon as the oil temp rises above the 1st bar, the pressure gauge starts fanging around everywhere, from right down at the 1st bar up unti lthe 3rd. If i put the clutch in and let the engine idle, the pressure returns to normal idle pressure. I know its hard to know without seeing what's happening, but is it likely that the gauge itself is faulty, or more likely that my oil pressure is really dropping and rising like that? Engine is in great nic, 170k k's, oil level fine, no warning lights come on at any stage.... any ideas? Maybe i just need an oil change?
    Spanx guys.

Advertisement
    White S3 205 GTi

Tadpole

where should the pressure be when idling,i have a 205 which may have oil pressure problems!!!

Clandestino, are you using a good multigrade oil that done less than six months or 10klms? sounds like the viscosity is changing as it heats up.
    Interesting to see what happens after an oil change.
    Good oil level can be misleading if car does lots of short trips as the crankcase can fill up with dilution

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

At idle, I think the needle should be around the 2nd bar on the gauge; that's where mine stays anyway. Then during normal driving, its just a little lower than the 4th bar.... well it was, anyway... now its possessed or something....
    White S3 205 GTi

Oil is around 8K & 3-4 months old.Not sure exactly what the grade is as it was put in at the last service by the pug guys. Your explanations sounds good though, Decca, I'l do an oil change on the wkend and see what happens. as long as i'm not damaging the engine in the mean time...
    White S3 205 GTi

I would reckon that you guys would be running similar gauges to similar models in Cits. If this is the case, I'd suggest you look at the wiring to the senders units as on the BXs in particular, the insulation is usually burnt to a crisp & the wire itself is usually half rotten due to heat and being light grade.
    If you want some peace of mind, grab a cheap gauge and a fitting, whack it in & see what it reads; I'll betcha it's acceptable and the problem is in the nightmare Froggy wiring.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hey Cland (tom)

Remember my oil preasure was really low when it needed changing. I change mine every 5000kms just to be sure. After the oil change it was back to normal. Which in general driving should be up around the 4th bar and at idle about bar 1-2 i think. See how you go dude.
    PS do you have a tool to take the oil plug out from the sump. If you ive got one at home somewhere.

Cam
    (By the way you car is going to blow up soon)
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Cam: didn't your gearbox recently blow up?! hehehehehe

Ok so I changed the oil (but not the filter as its having a service in a week) and the fluctuation in oil pressure is still occurring, possible even worse than before. Only when oil is warm and not while idling. Drops right down to 1st bar (ie. no pressure) sometimes, but the warning light never comes on. Anyone know if the gauges are sometimes faulty? car is running fine, no overheating or anything.
    White S3 205 GTi

sorry to revive an old topic, but ive got the same problem, and been meaning to ask you guys for a while:

When the engine is really hot (esp on hot days) and i allow the engine to idle below 1000rpm, the oil pressure drops very low, and occasionally the warning light flashes on. *scared*

If i crank up the idle to 1600rpm or so, its fine, and when driving the pressure is fine regardless of temp.

Oil is fresh pennz 10w40 semi synthetic, and engine had a full rebuild 80k's ago ago.

I tended to believe the guage was correct, as the warning light had come on occasionally too, which afaik is a seperate sensor and wiring.

The engine has done 240k's, and i assume the oil pump wasnt replaced in the rebuild. Is it likely its dieing off? any other ideas?

cheers,
    morgan
    Jazz Blue S1 mod 205 GTi

I don't know about the 205 but if this was a 504 I would bet on the oil pressure relief valve sticking slightly open and causing loss of pressure at idle and erratic pressure readings. The relief valve is probably on the pump and needs the spring and plunger removed and the body cleaned out and or honed. Bits of carbon and grit out of the oil get in there as its before the filter, this also means (of cause) getting at the pump.

LynCliff

Quote Originally Posted by Clandestino
    Hi,
    I'm having problems with the oil pressure gauge in my 205. While the oil is cold (ie. before the oil temp gauge reaches the 1st bar, during the first 5-10 mins of driving) the pressure is great, up around the 4th bar. But as soon as the oil temp rises above the 1st bar, the pressure gauge starts fanging around everywhere, from right down at the 1st bar up unti lthe 3rd. If i put the clutch in and let the engine idle, the pressure returns to normal idle pressure. I know its hard to know without seeing what's happening, but is it likely that the gauge itself is faulty, or more likely that my oil pressure is really dropping and rising like that? Engine is in great nic, 170k k's, oil level fine, no warning lights come on at any stage.... any ideas? Maybe i just need an oil change?
    Spanx guys.
    ok ,sounds like a wiring problem if it goes up and down all the time.
    what a lot of people forget is that oil will get thinner at higher temps so your oil pressure will look like its dropping.when you first start your car after running for a couple of minutes the oil prussure needle should be about 12 oclock.mine is like this and soon as its at 12 0clock you should be right to go.
    in traffic when idleing it could drop as low as 1st mark but when you rev it up and under normal driving conditions it should be around the 12 o clock mark.[give or take a couple of needle thickness]
    they tend to loose pressure when they get old and high milage or when a oil seal goes somewhere.
    get it checked by someone familiar with the 205 .-BAZZ
    could be a short in the wiring by the sounds of the jumping all around symptom-BAZZ

Default Oil press. gauge reliability..

Have you ever wondered why most manufacturers no longer fit oil pressure and coolant temp gauges? So that people like you can sleep at night and secondly not annoy the crap out of the manufacturers tech departments with your queries!
    The earlier suggestion of fitting an auxilliary oil gauge, preferably the capilliary type, may put your mind to rest.
    Peugeot removed the temp gauge from the later,'70 on 404's in my opinion for the above reason.

so is 250k's an expectable life for an oil pump? Should it be checked or replaced? I thought they were (with proper service) relatively indestructable?!?

cheers
    Jazz Blue S1 mod 205 GTi

Thread Information