a 404 moment.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: a 404 moment.

Default a 404 moment.

the 205 gti is in getting cambelt ,shims,valve clearances ect and ive been given a 1968 404 to drive around for a couple o days by justin the mechanic.
    what can i say 4 on the tree ,floating suspension,drum brakes that you have to give 5 mins notice to if you wanna stop anytime soon,but there was this smell,the same smell that was in the 504 i had ,horse hair ticking and vinyl combined with musty old smell type of thing.
    absoloutly wonderfull type of 'do you remember when' type of smell.[what a load of sentimental rubbish ha,ha]
    the cars a clasic i must say great intereor look,had to do a bit of quick maths when i stared down at the m.p.h speedo.
    you know sometimes you dont know what youve got till its gone [funny i think thats a song]
    i have always loved the look of the 404 and dont get me wrong i think they are great cars however that said ,cant wait to get the 205 gti back
    see ya -BAZZ

Advertisement

Default 404 moments

The 404 is an acquired taste (I'd still prefer my old 203) but the sweetest moment comes when you meet another 404 travelling the other way.

The 404 is definitely more then acquired taste, personally they are a foul taste in my mouth. We had a metallic blue 404 that would not start baring being cranked over by hand. Maybe my opinion on them is tainted, because of this but personally i can't think of a nice thing to say about 404's
    Last edited by orestes; 25th August 2004 at 08:00 PM.

There's a good little write up in the latest WHEELS mag (page 32) about 'the underrated ones' The 404 described as "one of the world's best cars of the time - regardless of price".

Also a good write up on the 205 on page 147. God or Dog?? GOD!

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

a car that you need to own, drive and work on to really appreciate the cars before and after it

yes i have had 404's but i prefer the 403 before it and the 504 after it i'm afraid

the 404 had the power the 403 needed and the 504 had the suspension the 404 needed

in their day they were a great car but what were they compared to you have to ask yourself and that can be said for any era
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

So Justin finally has a loan car?!?! For the past year and a bit whenever my 505 is there he has never had a car to lend me. I know to start asking again
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    the 205 gti is in getting cambelt ,shims,valve clearances ect and ive been given a 1968 404 to drive around for a couple o days by justin the mechanic.
    what can i say 4 on the tree ,floating suspension,drum brakes that you have to give 5 mins notice to if you wanna stop anytime soon,but there was this smell,the same smell that was in the 504 i had ,horse hair ticking and vinyl combined with musty old smell type of thing.
    absoloutly wonderfull type of 'do you remember when' type of smell.[what a load of sentimental rubbish ha,ha]
    the cars a clasic i must say great intereor look,had to do a bit of quick maths when i stared down at the m.p.h speedo.
    you know sometimes you dont know what youve got till its gone [funny i think thats a song]
    i have always loved the look of the 404 and dont get me wrong i think they are great cars however that said ,cant wait to get the 205 gti back
    see ya -BAZZ

My drum brake 404 has better brakes than my 205 GTI, just can't get a good pedal after everything has been changed, except for the front calipers!
    I acknowledge that a 404 out of adjustment, and with stuffed linings can be pretty bad, however.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Yes my 404 had hard linings when we got it. Horrible,noisy and they didnt stop. A change to the correct grade of linings and no problem. People put "Modern" linings intended for power brakes in these old unassisted cars and wonder why they dont work. The correct linings and they can be pretty good (Except old Holdens and old Yank stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    So Justin finally has a loan car?!?! For the past year and a bit whenever my 505 is there he has never had a car to lend me. I know to start asking again
    yeah well when i say a loaner car ,i mean there is loaners and there is loaners.i was going to get all this work done somewhere else and think the 'the other guy was going to give me a loaner'line, which was true ,worked
    .its a very very worn down 404 that he loaned me.
    i made it clear to him that ive got kids to get to and from school ,so it was very necesary i had a car.
    now the kids have fallen in love with this clanky old 404 and want me to buy one.[shheeesh]
    anyway please dont say to him 'well ya gave one to bazz'cause this is the first time ive had work done by justin and didnt realise i had let a cat out of the bag .regarding loaners.
    a lot of people would knock back a car in this condition but everthing works just not at modern car standards.
    i looked around at all the cars in his lot and thought 'one of these has to go'and got the 404.
    next time you need a loaner ,point at the old light brown 404 with black n white plates at the back of the yard and politely ask'does that 404 go mate,ya reckon i could have that while ya got my car'and you never know ya luck.it worked for me-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    My drum brake 404 has better brakes than my 205 GTI, just can't get a good pedal after everything has been changed, except for the front calipers!
    I acknowledge that a 404 out of adjustment, and with stuffed linings can be pretty bad, however.
    Graham
    hey dont get me wrong i love the old thing,i did like the susspension in my 504 a lot better though but as you refered to in your reply this car is well out of adjustmentand could do with tlc.
    the floaty susspension is good for hard bumps and such but needs to stop rocking front to back bazz

I reckon a good ANYTHING is probably better than a stuffed 404 but I reckon a top 404 is better than ANYTHING!!

My 404 has discs so good you only have to think about pressing them and you are stopped. My 403 has more character but I prefer the 404 to drive. Likewise 504s are nicer to drive but don't have the character of the 404. I reckon a 2 litre TI 5 speed 404 would be the bee's knees.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I'm in the process of re-building a 1970 404 sedan ( ONLY 60,000 miles from new) for the 2006 Ampol Rerun. It has been repainted and will be fitted with a fully balanced Ti motor with modified SLi head, BA7/5 gearbox, bigger brakes and 4 stud wheels like on the yellow wagon.

Thread Information