Light showing when Engine fan turns on
  • Register
  • Help

Light showing when Engine fan turns on

Would it be possible to install a light that would turn on when the engine fan engaged?

Advertisement

Could it just be installed on the thermo switch wiring some how?

Could you attach it to the side of the switch that goes to the clutch as a live and then ground the other wire?

Would be nice to know when the fan comes on whilst driving the car.

Could it be done as to not intefere with the thermo switch ie making sure that the fan still works. Does the switch just opperate on normal 12v?
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

tap into the wire that switches the fan on.

ie out of the relay to switches the fan on.
    It will either have the ground make/disconnect (inwhich case your light bulb would be wired with permananet 12V and grnd connected to fan switch wire)
    or
    It will have 12V make/disconnect (where your bulb will be grounded and 12V from the fan would switch it on/off)
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Shobbs, why? - chris

ps. its not hard at all, tekkie's nearly spot on.
    ... ptui!

tekkie, sounds like a plan.

I think I follow. To be implemented asap.

CHRI'S16,

Because I worry too much. No, really just a nice thing to have. Would also terrorise passengers. A bit red warning light in the middle of the dash.

Also having a few little heating issues, I like to be informed. I don't have the money for guages, so lights it shall be

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

1000+ Posts
    shobbz,

I'm curious as to why you need a light? In our 504, the moment the fan cuts in YOU KNOW ABOUT IT because it's so damn noisy! head_ban

Depends on engine revs I suppose......

Derek.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    noisy and the power drop is something you can't miss
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I did this on my 504SW about 15yrs ago and it's quite easy. One terminal on the fan switch on radiater is from battery via Ign switch & then fuse box then into loom. The other wire just go's direct to the magnetic coupling on the fan via a little brush under the water pump. Just put a piggy back spade lug on this terminal and run a wire into the under dash area. The Instrument panel just needs a couple of screws/bolts udone to get it out. I just found an unused light hole already in the Instrument panel and fitted a light globe and socket that fitted from a wreck (old Toyota).
    Run your wire from fan switch to one side and earth the other side.
    Regards Lyn Clifford.

I did a similar thing about 9 years ago with the home built water/metho injection system on my Cortina. I had a blue light come on when the water injection pump kicked in.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Will see about implementing the light in the near future

Now all i need to do is to put halogens in the dash, then maybe i will be able to see what speed i am doing at night

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Shobbz:
    Will see about implementing the light in the near future

Now all i need to do is to put halogens in the dash, then maybe i will be able to see what speed i am doing at night

shobbz
    OWWWWW, I had this flash image of you installing driving lights in your car, aka rice neons on your dash.
    eek!

1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

nJm
    You're lucky the 504 doesn't have that many lights. I replaced every single internal light in my 505. I think it was about 23 light bulbs! I also did little things like cover the black plastic 'reflector'/surrounds with white-out (not visable once everything is back together) so the lights shone brighter.

I certainly know when my cooling fan comes on (my engine sounds like a 1981 Toyota Celica) and the whole car vibrates. And yes, the noticable power drop! If it comes on I usually turn on the a/c as well.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm
    OWWWWW, I had this flash image of you installing driving lights in your car, aka rice neons on your dash.
    eek!

Hahahaha. I saw a Toyota Corolla which had neon tubes running up the A pillars on the inside. It was night so you could see the driver being lit up in a silly looking purple glow.

<small>[ 24 September 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

hahaha a ricer dash. Sad, but even I can't go that low. I would go mags long before I riced up my car. And before that getting it out of the driveway

I am going to do some investigation soon about putting some different bulbs in. I really want red ones, looks good and easy in the eye's also.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

nJm
    Doesn't it just use normal globes with coloured lenses infront (as per the 505?). I'm quite happy with the orange light. More interesting than green anyway.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!
    A very simple way to have a fan display light in a 504 is to instal an override switch for the fan. If you use a rear demister rocker switch, the indicator light will come on if you operate the fan manually or if it comes on automatically.
    Simply connect the switch in parallel with the radiator switch.

Bob, that's not a bad idea.

Nhot sure why i would want to operate the fan manually, but why not, The rear demister doesn't work anyway

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Shobbz,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am fairly certain that the rear demister, brake lights and radiator fan clutch, all operate off the same fuse. It's quite possible that a blown fuse is the cause of your cooling problems. Have you investigated this?

Doug.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

THe fuses are all good. I blew one a few weeks ago after a very profession job wiring the trailer.

The fan clutch works, as do the brake lights. Its just odd couple of months ago I tried the demister = no work. Worked for as long as I can remember.

I haven't looked at the contacts at the actual demister, but i doubt that they have corroded or somethign similar.

Another fun thing to do on the weekend

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Shobbz:

Shobbz,

Has your dash still got the green lenses infront of the bulbs. If you remove the green lenses the lights are a considerably brighter white/orange colour, although in my opinion it doesn't look as nice as green.

You may also have too much resistance in the reostat, so it might pay to disconnect it and bypass it.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    nJm:
    Doesn't it just use normal globes with coloured lenses infront (as per the 505?). I'm quite happy with the orange light. More interesting than green anyway.
    could always go a violet colour like the early jags lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Taking out the green tinted stuff might be a good idea. I can asjust the clock while I am there.

dave, getting rid of the reostat sounds like a great idea. I have no idea why one would want to dim the dash anyway.

I have never been in any car, new or old where i didn't like the brightest setting.

New golfs maybe, but still glowing red is still cool

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thread Information