7/11 Premium Unleaded
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default 7/11 Premium Unleaded

I put almost a full tank of 7/11 premium in the Pug on the weekend because it was 10c cheaper than the Shell over the road.

Advertisement

Now, I have to admit the performance has not been particularly great with this, but I have done 300km on only half a tank which is quite frankly the best economy I have ever gotten out of the gti6.

Has anyone else found this??
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

the best fuel consumption i ever had was 850kms of 1 tank using caltex

those 850 kms were driving to melbourne tho

city wise i normally get around 700 using whatever 98ron i can find.

p.s. i am aware that caltex is only 96 ron

you get how many kms out of a tank in a gti-6?

i think i typically get 450kms for around 50lts which is around 11lt/100km, pretty standard fuel economy i thought

Fellow Frogger!

best i've ever gotten was coming back from melbourne one night. made it from dandenong to my place about 30 minutes north of newcastle on one tank. this was in the 405 which has a much larger tank though. still it was about 1400km from memory . it wouldn't start the next morning though... not enough fuel, had to go for a run to the servo with a gerry can for 5 litres to get me to the other servo to fill up.

Icon5

What is the octane of 7/11 premium?
    I've never used it.

84 505 GTi - Sold to a friend... written off 3 months later

Quote Originally Posted by petermc505
    What is the octane of 7/11 premium?
    I've never used it.

I have no idea, but I have seen a Shell tanker truck pulling out of my local 7/11.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by pase
    you get how many kms out of a tank in a gti-6?

i think i typically get 450kms for around 50lts which is around 11lt/100km, pretty standard fuel economy i thought
    I'm pretty sure the tank is 60 lts for the gti6. The best that I've gotten is around 800-850 steady highway cruising @110 kph. Around the city (Adelaide city remember!) I usually get around 650 kms if I manage to not fang too much, but even fanging including weekend mountain drives of 100 kms, I usually get about 550-600 kms from a tank. I've found my fuel economy has improved noticably now that I don't drive around in too high a gear i.e at 60-70 kph I stay in 4th gear whereas I used to put it in 5th. I pretty much always use Mobil synergy 8000 (a 98 RON) fuel.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I always thought that the higher the gear the less revs you are pulling and hence the less fuel you are using. Obviously this is not the case??

I was fanging around town and only got maybe 450km out of my tank for a while there.

7-11 uses caltex fuel yeah?

just as a matter of interest, What do you guys normally fill your '6's upto?

I always chuck in 3/4 of a tank, but this is couse i am scared about leaking fuel as my sender unit was loose a while ago.

Default 7/11 premium

I find Shell ultramax gives good ecconomy.
    Anyone with experience of petrol vs diesel consumption under normal driving?

i generally go for Synergy 8000 Mobil stuff, that is good, Optimax has too many additives to keep the 98ron consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I always thought that the higher the gear the less revs you are pulling and hence the less fuel you are using. Obviously this is not the case??

I was fanging around town and only got maybe 450km out of my tank for a while there.
    Not necessarily. It depends on how much throttle is used to maintain the speed. Think about if you were doing 50 kph in 6th gear. You could easily do that, and the revs would be very low, but you would be using considerable throttle and therefore using more fuel and straining the engine more than necessary. The same if you're for example doing 50 kph in 1st gear, the revs would be high and you would also use a lot of throttle and hence fuel. Therefore, a balance between the two extreme gears would be best, i.e 50 kph in 3rd gear. I've trialled this a while back and consistently found that driving to maintain the lowest throttle inputs gave the best fuel economy regardless of gear/revs.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Not necessarily. It depends on how much throttle is used to maintain the speed. Think about if you were doing 50 kph in 6th gear. You could easily do that, and the revs would be very low, but you would be using considerable throttle and therefore using more fuel and straining the engine more than necessary. The same if you're for example doing 50 kph in 1st gear, the revs would be high and you would also use a lot of throttle and hence fuel. Therefore, a balance between the two extreme gears would be best, i.e 50 kph in 3rd gear. I've trialled this a while back and consistently found that driving to maintain the lowest throttle inputs gave the best fuel economy regardless of gear/revs.

Thanks for that. I'll have to give it a go!!

rek

Here's an interesting (albeit long and technical) discussion about road car fuel economy from AtlasF1:

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=70044
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    Here's an interesting (albeit long and technical) discussion about road car fuel economy from AtlasF1:

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread...threadid=70044
    That is a very interesting thread, but there is a lot of confusion in it. Especially interesting is the discussion between J. Edlund and McGuire. I personally agree with McGuire's theory for real world fuel economy. What J. Edlund is saying follows true for very small displacement engines during fuel economy competition runs where they use the smallest engine possible that produces the required power (and where the power output of the engine is such that the point of peak efficiency of the engine i.e @ [email protected]ue rpm, is matched to the required speed of the competition). But applying this theory to fuel economy of most cars is not applicable unless you're trying to achieve the best fuel economy at 200 kph or whatever the top speed of your car would be.

Anyway, just goes to show a bunch of engineers can complicate anything! Trial it yourselves over several months, over both highway and city, keeping good records and trying to be as consistent as possible and you'll know what method works best.

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Well the 7/11 around the corner from my place has caltex stickers

friend at work tried safeway premium petrol, she says her Barina SRi actually goes better than Synergy 8000 !!!! (plus the 4 cents off coupon i give her all the time...damn Shell card I use never accepts cole discounts/flybuys...)

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

I think Safeway uses BP as do alot of other independent outlets.

As for 7/11, it was definitley a Shell tanker truck I saw pulling out of my local one. Unless it was filling up....

Thread Information