Remote Key Fob
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Remote Key Fob

Default Remote Key Fob

Guys & Gals,

Advertisement

My S16 came with a Code Alarm remote which arms/disarms the alarm system.
    The key, is a Peugeot item, and has to be used to lock/unlock the car manually.

I was under the impression that these cars came with remote central locking? If this is the case then presumeably i have 2 options;

a) Buy a replacement remote key fob from Peugeot and throw the Code Alarm one in the bin..
    b) Take the existing unit to someone like Strathfields/Tonkins etc and have them code the remote to open the doors too. (not sure if this is possible tho, it has 2 buttons, one maked ARM the other DISARM/TRUNK.)

any ideas?
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

My S16 came with two keys. One had the remote locking buttons, and the other was a manual key only. Sounds like you've only got the manual key. I was told (might not be true) that replacement keys ordered through Peugeot have to come from France, so might be simpler to get the alarm re-jiggied (pardon the tech speak) to open the doors also. So long as you have a manual key for emergencies you should be fine.

However - to complicate matters - the S16 actually had a two stage locking system, the key has two buttons, one to lock the doors and another to activate the deadlocks (which prevent the doors being opened in the event of a break-in). Sounds like youve not been using the deadlocks. If you re-jiggy the alarm to lock the doors I doubt it would lock the deadlocks too. So I guess the most secure system would be to get a new remote key from Peugeot, so you can use the deadlocks, and just keep using the alarm remote to activate the alarm. *confused look*

Damo

Thanks Damo...

I think id prefer to source a new key then, funds permitting. Retain the 'original' spec and good for resale. Our other car , Magna, has remote c/l and i guess im used to being lazy..

I dont use the alarm anyway, bloody annoying things...
    Now to see how much Peugeot want for them.. anyone want to guess

I hate to think what it will cost. My spare key had a little tag attached with a serial number, which I believe was the key code for ordering a new key from pug. I guess you're not that lucky to have the original key number? I don't know what the deal is re ordering a new key without the original number?? I'm sure a dealer can give fill you in with all the bad news.

I'll take a stab and bid $120 for a new key.

i ordered a new barrel and this came with the key stem(?) but not the actual remote
    this was about $120, plus fitting, gst etc ran it up to $200 odd dollars

they do have to come from france, and theres a few weeks of wait

eeekk!

I've sent a email to a dealer here in Adelaide, so we'll see...

Any other places to source them? Dosen't have to be Adelaide i guess, only a small item. Anyone know of any place cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    eeekk!

I've sent a email to a dealer here in Adelaide, so we'll see...

Any other places to source them? Dosen't have to be Adelaide i guess, only a small item. Anyone know of any place cheaper?

$100 from Regan Motors Melb for a new remote central locking fob.

You'll need to quote your Vin # & pay up front as they are useless to anyone else.

Then you need to get the blank cut (from the other key), about another $8.

Jeff
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger!

Why not just get one or pair of ebay?

The infra red remote keys can be reprogrammed to work on another Pug.

You would just need a new key part cut from a Pug dealer.

If you want a new key, The infra red code number is on a white sticker inside the infra red box in the roof.

Its about 2 weeks to get a key from France to the UK, Just get a second hand pair of keys & reprogramme them or get the infra red control box & keys from a scrapyard.
    Last edited by LeePower; 24th August 2004 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks for all the the replies guys

$100 dosent sound too bad.. We'll see what Taylors come up with.

pgti6, are you saying they send you the remote key as a blank, its then up to you to get it cut from the existing key? Can any keycutter cut em?

Lee, prefer to have a new one as the rest of the car is in pretty good nick (resale), thanks for the ideas tho , good to know.

The IR sensor your talking about,, i assume its that thing behind the sunroof/map light controls? with some small slots in the plastic case?

Cheers guys

Well... Taylors came back with a price of $220 plus $8 blank key!! Regan can offer the same for $110 plus $8 blank key.

They are both Peugeot dealers , some presumeably one must be gold plated.

Have given them a chance to match the price otherwise i think i know where ill be going...

Cheers.
    Dan

Final follow-up:

There is a special key for the S16, as it has a deadlocking funtion.

Unfortunately they cost $195 compared to $110 for the normal 306's.

oh well, spose i should be thankfull for the extra security.

Can anyone with an original S16 key with access to a digicam post a pic of there remote key???

over & out.
    Last edited by DanS16; 24th August 2004 at 05:34 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

The infra red remote key on the S16 is the same as the low spec 406 remote key.

If you get hold of 1 or 2 working second hand keys and programme them to the car, you can make them look like new because you can get a new plastic case for the remote from a Peugeot dealer cheaply and they can also cut you a new metal key blade from the key number.

The infra red keys are not very secure anyway and very easy to by pass, Your much better off with an RF anti grab / anti scan key with a rolling code.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Guys & Gals,

My S16 came with a Code Alarm remote which arms/disarms the alarm system.
    The key, is a Peugeot item, and has to be used to lock/unlock the car manually.

I was under the impression that these cars came with remote central locking? If this is the case then presumeably i have 2 options;

a) Buy a replacement remote key fob from Peugeot and throw the Code Alarm one in the bin..
    b) Take the existing unit to someone like Strathfields/Tonkins etc and have them code the remote to open the doors too. (not sure if this is possible tho, it has 2 buttons, one maked ARM the other DISARM/TRUNK.)

any ideas?
    I had the same problem when I bought my S16 - I only got the spare keys because the owner mislaid the remote jobby. I knew a new key was around $200 but that's a lot of $$$ when all you get with it is remote central locking. So instead I spent the $200 on a 3 point remote immobiliser that had a central locking function, plus rolling code, black wires, flashing blinkers, all the fruit. So now it's just one button and both the doors and hatch lock/unlock, plus you get the immobiliser anti-theft security and in my case an insurance discount. There were some VDO ones on eBay recently that looked OK.

As for the deadlocking, when you put your key in the door lock and turn anti-clockwise to lock it, hold it for maybe 3 seconds and you'll hear a little servo motor type sound. That's the deadlocking function. I hardly ever use it 'cause I don't leave valuables in the car.
    1995 306 S16

Yeah, im leaning that way too now. Took it down to a car audio place at Wayville and they can programme the existing Code Alarm remote to unlock/lock the doors.. - $40

Also means im making using of a $500 alarm i spose.

Just can't justify $200 on a key, especially when slotted rotors and new pads would be more fun
    Thanks for all the replies.

yeah its expencive, i never got the key fob for my 405, i priced one up, i had to replace the receiver unit as its coded into it, which was about 3-400 bucks all up i think...

just need the key and the receiver really... wrekcer?
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Fellow Frogger!

The infra red remote keys on Peugeots & Citroens can be re programmed to work on another car.

If you pick a pair of remote keys up cheaply on ebay they can be programmed to work your own car.

This is a simple task to do yourself or for a Peugeot / Citroen dealer to do.

Thread Information