fuel surge
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: fuel surge

Fellow Frogger!

Default fuel surge

just wondering if anyone gets fuel surge in their 405? i was at a club motorkhana yesterday and i think i was experiencing fuel surge as the bar was very hesitant to do anything when coming out of the corners for a little bit, then it would rev properly and shoot off. i had about a quarter of a tank in it, but i've competed with this much in before and had no problems. this was a dirt circuit though.

by the way, the pug held its head up high, placing 20th out of a feild of 52, top of it's class, and was only beaten by specials and rally cars. only about 5 seconds off the fastest time for each test, and thats with fuel surge, retarded timing (in the interest of fuel eficiency), and fairly bald road tyres!
    viva la 405.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

My friends 405 GR suffered this. Come round a corner, nothing...then it would pick up again.

Fellow Frogger!

where and how would you mount a surge tank?
    also would you have to buy one or could you make it yourself. i'm always up for a challenge, hell i own a land rover.

or perhaps i could just run with a full tank of fuel, but do i really want that extra 50 or 60 kilos?

That's right. I have a surge tank on my car. I used to get fuel surge but not any more. If you fit a surge tank you will have to run a second fuel pump and of course there are more hoses.

PeterT has a cheaper alternative to this.

I did many motorkhanas in my Series 1 and 2 405 SRIs and found that I ran with just over half a tank at the start of the day, to finish with just under half a tank with no problems on bitumen, where much greater constant Gs are pulled. I won my class, and championships on handicap regularly in stock cars. This did upset those that spent a fortune on mods. The Pugs regularly beat supposedly more competitive shorter wheelbase vehicles. Another 20Kg (25L) of fuel is hardly likely to worry a 1150 Kg car. Pull your spare out, it nearly weighs that, and turn your mirrors in so you can run closer to flags. Biggest fault is running out of power steer halfway through a long test like crossover.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

can't say i've experienced the loss of power steering. my biggest problem is keeping the inside front wheel on the ground to get some traction. i can't afford a quaife lsd, so i think i'll try runnign without a sway bar on the front, or is this the worst idea you've ever heard?

Thread Information