Peugeot 405 Questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Peugeot 405 Questions

I have been offered a 1993 Peugeot 405GR at a "good price", but haven't yet seen the car (only a photo). The odometer reads 61,000 but there seems to be some confusion as to whether these numbers are miles or kilometers. The person selling it (on behalf of the owner) thinks they are kilometers but I thought european cars like this were always in miles.
    Can anyway tell me if they have a Peugeot with the odometer in kilometers?

Advertisement

Also- is is possible to fit after market air conditioning?

Thanks

Rotarua.....not a State of Australia from memory
    The reason I am mentioning this is that the cars you get in Kiwiland are sometimes different to the ones we get out here. There are models we'd love to have that you get 'n we don't, however, I would imagine there's no reason why the Pugs in NZ shouldn't be calibrated in klms if you guys are as I think you are, in metrics.
    The exception to this rule of course is if someone has imported the car from the UK in which case it probably will be in miles.
    As a comparison, we have Citroens and all have metric speedos with one exception; the one that was privately imported so I can see no reason why a Pug should be any different; same girl, different skirt.

Alan S cheers!
    Regardless, 61K is bugger all to these cars regardless of whether it's miles or kilometres.
    Be sure it comes with a service history as that mileage is extremely low if genuine, and could catch you out with jobs like cambelt changes which are critical both in mileage AND age (ie) 80K klms or 4 years, whichever comes first.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    I would think it would be 61,000 miles which is about 100,000km's.

I'm in Auckland and my old 309 and friend's 405 were both in miles.

100,000km for a 1993 is low but not unbelievably low. The car will go on for a lot more than 100,000k.

As long as the car is in reasonable condition I wouldn't worry about those k's.

farmerdave
    My 1995 405 is in KM. I presume it depends on if the car was "NZ new" or imported....

It depends on the age of the car as well as if it's NZ new.
    We had a 1990 NZ-new 405 which recorded in miles (139000 when we sold it in April and still going strong) but newer Peugeots are definitely in kms.

At 61000, whether miles or kms, it should still have plenty of life left.

If it's a used import, depends where it came from as to whether it's miles or kms.

Tadpole
    Thanks very much for all your replies

I have seen (and bought!) the car- the speedo was in kms so the mileage is 61,000 kms.
    The mileage appears to be genuine- it is a one owner car that wasn't used much and it drives like a new car. Very nice car in beautiful condition.

I've had Fiats up until now- had great runs out of them- trouble free motoring up until I sold them at around 150,000 miles so fingers crossed I get the same sort of service out of the Peugeot 405.

Fellow Frogger!
    As a 405 owner in the Great White North (Canada), welcome to the club. That's a practically new car. Take care of it and you should easily see the better side of 300,000 km.

Things to watch for:
    - check oil and coolant levels regularly. Sometimes these cars consume upwards of 0.25 L/1000 km of oil. Nothing to get excited about, but make sure you keep the level up.
    - use synthetic oils if you can handle the price, and change it very regularly.
    - the rear trailing arm bearings (needle) let go after a while due to water ingress. When this happens, the rear crossmember can be fatally damaged. Massive rear wheel geometry problems will result. The best defense against this is to check the trailing arm bearings for play right now. If they're OK, tap a grease nipple into each arm (halfway between the bearings is a good location - make sure you drill through the white plastic when making the hole) and pump 1.5+ standard grease gun tube cartridges into each side. This will keep everything well lubed and likely stave off bearing failure forever, provided it's topped up every year.
    - a nylon link where the clutch cable attaches to the pedal tends to break at anywhere between 10-12 years of age and sometimes earlier than 100,000 km (it depends on the amount the clutch is used). Buy a spare one and have it in the glovebox for the inevitable roadside repair. Worked for me, 2 weeks ago!
    - change the transaxle oil every 100,000 km. Peugeot would have you believe that they're sealed for life, which is absolute rubbish. Many a 405 transaxle has failed due the oil level never being checked...
    - if yours has A/C with the automatic temperature regulation, be advised that the stepper motor that operates the heater flap and/or the ECU that controls it WILL fail at about 150,000-200,000 km. It's a pain to repair and I've never bothered. Mine is by-passed now.

My 405 has 299,910 km as I write this. On the weekend we'll have its 300,000 km party. The engine is unopened, the transaxle ditto, the clutch is all original. The brakes have been changed a few times (discs and 4 calipers too) and I've chewed up about 4 sets of tires.

It could use a LF driveshaft at the moment, and new front shocks and steering swivels/bushings. Nothing too demanding...oh and another set of tires too.

On to 400,000!

<small>[ 24 September 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: M. Tippett ]</small>
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

They have always used kms in France, and if the car was sold new in a km country thay will always be in ks. My 403 is in miles, as it was sold here when we used miles. I think my 404 is in kms, but I am not sure as I have only driven it once when I brought in home on a temporary permit.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!
    Not true Pugnut403.

Because many Peugeot's we get in New Zealand are made in England, many are in miles, sold new.

Is the 405 kevint has purchased automatic? In NZ I believe our automatic 405's were sourced from France. The manuals are often from the English plant.

My 504 Ti was bought in new from France, and is in km's.

My 309 SR which was made in England, came in new with miles.

Thread Information