S16 Mods
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: S16 Mods

Default S16 Mods

Hi guys,

As I`m on the look out now for an S16, I am just curious to know how to these cars respond to an aftermarket exhaust, pod filter and possibly a chip.
    Any comments in regards to the S16 would be appreciated.

Damien

Advertisement

The basic mods many people do to S16's, like exhaust, filter, cold air etc, make only minimal improvements to the performance of the car as Peugeot spend considerable time in getting them right in the first place. These mods really only make the car sound better and flow in the top end of the rev range a little better, but nothing that would really show up in real world tests.

Bang for you buck wise, it's best to spend the money on ensuring the key suspension and brake components are up to scratch. I found the two biggest differences came from replacing the suspension bushes and struts all with original items, key in makign the car feel and ride like new again. All to often people ask these questions and are fogetting to ensure they are starting from a good base to begin with.

Tyres are the other thing they respond well to.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah will agree with Brad on that remember these cars are approchong the 10 yr old mark, and items like bushes,ball joints, struts etc.. will be fairly worn.

Good luck with your search

Quote Originally Posted by MR_205Mi16
    Hi guys,

As I`m on the look out now for an S16, I am just curious to know how to these cars respond to an aftermarket exhaust, pod filter and possibly a chip.
    Any comments in regards to the S16 would be appreciated.

Damien
    ...as the boys have stated above. But stay right away from any so called "chip". The perfromance gain will be the weight reduction from your wallet.
    ...do a search on here for a thread Brad (Phasis) put up a while ago, to do with the variable intake actuators.
    Also consider removing the spare, just drive a SAFE but steady length of road, then drop the spare and repeat the drive... enjoy the difference.
    ... ptui!

I concur with everything Brad said. Just sold my S16 - the only mods were a Janspeed rear muffler and a 'Green' brand cotton air filter. The car breather a bit easier, mostly noticable at the top of the rev range, and it sounded great, but there was very little difference in terms of out right performance.

make sure you get one with full service history. IMHO if it doesn't have every service in the book, don't touch it.

Good luck with the purchase.

Tadpole

Hi.

My 95 S16 (90K) seems pretty tight in the suspension department, but I'm no expert. Is there an objective test I can do? Which parts need replacement and How much are the replacement parts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

There are three bushes on the front which can be replaced. Two cup type on the front of the A arm and a single large one for the rear. Mine cost $60 per side for the parts, and about 2 hours labour to fit. Don't try to do it yourself unless you have an hydralic press as they are on VERY tight.

Brad,

Did you end up getting new shocks or get the reconditioned? Any cost benifit from recons?
    Also how much were the BBA slotted discs and EBC pad less including labour?

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread..
    DAn

Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Brad,

Did you end up getting new shocks or get the reconditioned? Any cost benifit from recons?
    Also how much were the BBA slotted discs and EBC pad less including labour?

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread..
    DAn

I got new shocks, $170 for the right and $200 for the left. No idea why the difference in price. Made the ride a little more controlled, but most difference was felt in the turn response at high speeds.

With the brakes, I did all the labour myself. Take a look at this thread for all the info you need on the upgrade options. 306 Brake Upgrade Thread

Thanks , will do.
    I was quoted $300ea!! for the front struts so might do some chasing around. Feel pretty good at the moment anyways...

Brakes however seem to have very little feel and seem marginal, not sure if its the fluid of maybe the pads are glazed. Uprade is definitly 1st on the agenda...
    Cheers.
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Thread Information