Door not opening - revisited
  • Register
  • Help

Door not opening - revisited

My 505s drivers door cannot be opened from the inside or outside.
    Only access is from the passenger door.
    The pull up door button resists being held up.
    Using the key from the outside brings the button up but there is resistance and it drops down again when key turning pressure is removed.

From the inside holding the button up while attempting to open with the internal handle brings no result.
    I've followed Ray's tips in "504 and 505 doors not opening" but only have a half empty can of WD40 to show for my efforts.

There is a good battery in use.
    The internal and external handes do not feel to be broken. I've had the die cast metal section break on a rear door handle and it is obvious when it is done in.

Advertisement

Could this have something to do with a bad solenoid or a bad central control unit/switch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter.

<small>[ 22 September 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: PUG_504_505 ]</small>

nJm
    Could the linkage that connects the knob to the solenoid be disconected? I've had a few problems with bits falling off inside doors on my car. I was lucky enough to have it brake when the door was open.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I suppose its a possibility but its seems that perhaps something has seized up rather than something falling off or coming loose.
    Also the using the key on the passenger does not trigger any central locking response, it only has a manual door opening/locking effect.

The difficulty of course is not being able to access the offending door cavity. cry

Peter,

One of our GTI's does the same thing from time to time...the way to fix it is as follows...

1. remove the door trip *yeah I know it's easy when the door is open but can be done with it closed*
    2. Grab the bellows on the top of the accuator and run it up and down a couple of times with your hand..after which the locking should start working again
    3. Refit the trim and enjoy!

As I say one of ours is the same nothing falls off just soo much resistance on the key and lock button...but that method fixes it easy! it's happend to our GTI maybe 3 times in the last year!

Hope this is some help!

Cheers

Ben

PS yes it is possible to get the trim off with the door shut...yank the bottom of it off and then slide it up......easy really !
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

It's the solenoid. Mine was doing exactly the same thing a few months ago - replacing the solenoid solved the problem.

nJm
    Has anyone replaced all the central locking kit with an aftermarket one? I'm sick of one of my rear doors only locking/unlocking when it feels like, and would appreciate remote control as well.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nick, i answered a similar question to Parry for his 405. If your willing to do yourself, its relatively easy, costs under $200 and includes a remote/alarm/1 point imobiliser.... intersted? - chris

ps im not selling but, IF, IF you decide on aftermarket ill tell you were to buy and how to fit.
    ... ptui!

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    nick,

for the central locking bit (if I remember correctly) someone from the PCCV has installed the kits available from Jaycar/DickSmith/Strathfield Car Radio.
    For the remote (rather than repeating it all) have a look here

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000709" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000709</a>

con.....

<small>[ 24 September 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>

Thread Information