SMOKIN' ..... but not in a good way
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 SMOKIN' ..... but not in a good way

hi there i'm a newbe from Sunny (constantly pissing it down) old England

i'm a ford owner i know, i'm sorry
    but the missus has just been given (by me) a '92 405 1.9 Auto with 101,000 miles on the clock. i've been looking it over for MOT,
    the cat needs welding as the cover is loose (i'd rather get a strait through pipe )
    there's a hissing coming from the under the back of the car when engine on (not zorst blowing) is this normal
    and i have a feeling the stem seals are kernakered as she smoke over 4000rpm, only when i was tinkering on the drive as the auto changes before any smoke apears and i've not seen any under load, i've heard you can change the seals with the head on much like my sierra CVH, is this true? if so would i need a compresion tool?

Advertisement

also any tips on changing tranny fluid as the 'Hynes manual' aka 'book of lies' states i have to use the dip stick tube to refill it
    i checked it and it's at the min and brown ... but the box is still smooth

sorry for such a long crappy post and thank you if you even bother to read this far without falling asleep, coz i know i'd have trouble reading the first sentence without getting bored

i forgot to mention it's a XU with a wetliner block
    Mosuke

There's a Japanese site that refers to a BX which is basically the same as your 405 that deals with valve stem seals with the head in place; the pics tell the story.

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/moribayashi/bxvstem.html

Personally, I would be dubious about the seals being the problem as these usually show when the car is left parked overnight and restarted in the morning. The other test is to drive the car and point it down a hill, back off and let it coast down and after a while, hit the accellerator and look out the back; valve stems will usually send out a dose of thich blue smoke at that stage. Above 4K sounds more like rings I'm afraid.
    I've just "treated" a BX 1.9 with 100K klms on it that was guzzling oil by putting a spoonful of brake fluid down each plug hole, leaving for 24 hours and taking it for a run. According to friends in Europe & the UK, this can sometimes do the trick if the rings are jammed due to lack of use which was the case with this car; it seems to have improved it.
    As far as the ATF goes, it should be a bright red and filling via the dipstick tube on autos isn't all that unusual. Just check that you are testing the level correctly; unlike an engine or a manual gearbox, an auto is checked with the engine running and in Neutral and after a run, so the idea is usually to change the oil get an idea of how much comes out, refill with that amount, take it for a run and then with the engine running & in Neutral check the level. Top up if necessary. You can't even rely on a set amount with them as the torque converter can hold a portion of the fluid even on a full drain out.
    A word of advice, keep that fluid red even if it means annual fluid changes as ATF is only cheap, doesn't take all that much & is a damn sight cheaper than an auto recon job.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S

I've just "treated" a BX 1.9 with 100K klms on it that was guzzling oil by putting a spoonful of brake fluid down each plug hole, leaving for 24 hours and taking it for a run. According to friends in Europe & the UK, this can sometimes do the trick if the rings are jammed due to lack of use which was the case with this car; it seems to have improved it.ob.

Alan S
    Hi Alan
    This sounds like an interesting tip, but why brake fluid??
    So many projects - so little time.

It dissolves the carbon off the piston faces, combustion chambers, valves and creeps down & washes it out of ring grooves.
    The car has never run smoother or been more responsive. One guy in the UK with a BX with equal mileage did it on a car he had that was smoking a workshop out within minutes and then took the car for a long run. Enroute, according to him, there was a splutter and a cough, followed by a backfire and he "turned day into night" with the cloud of smoke that came out.
    A couple of days later the car went for a MOT and passed with emissions comparable to a new car apparently.
    I had cause to take the plugs out prior to restarting and found that a wipe with a piece of cloth brought them up like new.
    I was told it's an old trick in Europe that is often used to do a decoke without removing the head.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The hissing noise under the back of the car is the fuel pump. If the smoke is white, it is likely to be auto trans fluid being sucked up through a damaged diaphragm on the gearbox modulator valve that has a vacuum line attached to it.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    Ď02 and Ď03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

If the smoke is white, it is likely to be auto trans fluid being sucked up through a damaged diaphragm on the gearbox modulator valve that has a vacuum line attached to it.
    it's white smoke how would i fix it?

i have a bottle of trusty 4 dot in my boot

As far as the ATF goes, it should be a bright red and filling via the dipstick tube on autos isn't all that unusual. Just check that you are testing the level correctly
    a friend has an auto and i've checked it a million times so thats no prob, but i've never drained and filled one and using the dipstick tube is a gay idea thats gonna take ages (thanx peugeot ) but if i must

thanx for the cool link

oh yeah before i forget, thanx for the warm welcome gents, i've found some uk sites can be a bit stuck up if your a newbe (talking down to me like i don't know how to change a batt, which really P$%£ me off cause i've rebuilt top ends and done engine transplants)
    Mosuke

UFO

IIRC there is a black cap about the size of a coke bottle cap on the top of the auto tranny. You can remove this (a bit tight) and top up through there but you will still need a funnel etc.

This was the case on my BX and is on the XM which both have the ZF auto tran.

"Keep the tranny fluid red fred!"
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

ta muchly i'll have a look!
    you can imagine the look on my face when i saw brown liquid on the end of the dipstick though
    as specially as the change is pritty smooth and the coworker i got the car from has it serviced every 6months, although he told her 2 weeks ago that the hand brake was fraid and the rear callipers were sticking and weren't working at all etc.. and offered her £50 (just better than scrap)
    and i've since topped up the oil and given the car a good look over (nothing else) and my missus has taken it for an MOT so i can get a good idea what to work on, and it passed is now road legal and only had 1 advisery of the passenger rear caliper being 'a bit sticky'
    so full service tomorrow i think
    Mosuke

new tranny and engine oil in and she's smooth as you like and pulls like a train... oh and did i mention she's not smokin!!!
    thanx for your help guys, its really apriciated
    Mosuke

Thread Information