Is there a "series 1.5" 405 Mi16?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Is there a "series 1.5" 405 Mi16?

Hi guys,

I'll admit I don't know the nuances of the Mi16. The one I've just bought was delivered in 1992, and has different badges on the boot from what I remember a series 1 has. The Mi16 badge on mine is the one which is in italics without a black rectangle backing.

It also has 15x6 alloys (and the series one interior and the high boot lip and black insert). The previous owner said that the badges etc. were like a running change before the series 2 was released.

I phoned Eurocars and they looked it up on their parts list, and confirmed the badges changed.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

Stuey,

I think you may be diving into somewhat uncharted waters with this.
    I know with the BX16V that there was a series one (that they got overseas) which was 160 BHP no cat, pram handle spoiler and early GT bumpers.
    Then the series 2 as we saw here which was 148BHP, cat and ironing board spoiler with the later models having a tin bonnet instead of plastic.
    Then there was the the 2 litre series two that had the cast iron block instead of the alloy, optional cat and tin bonnet.
    In the middle of all this they were making Mi16s, so I'll leave it to you to try to figure out where the Pug fitted into this scenario as both were basically poured out of the one tap.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

All Australian MI16s did have cats, 1988 models were a 1.9 litre with 14 inch wheels and BE1/5 (ring lift type reverse), in Sep 89 I think you still had a 1.9litre but the BE 3/5 gear box was used and the wheels were upgraded to 15 inch and the lower edge of the boot was now sheetmetal rather than the grey plastic panel. At some point in the future the move to 2 litre was made now this must have been 1990 ish someone else can pick up here.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Yes there was. It was released with 15 x 6 alloys, BE3 gearbox and 1.9L XU9J4Z engine. It had several expensive options removed to get it under the luxury car tax which was around at that time. Missing was ABS and it had wind up windows in the back. The luxury pack was still an option. I personally think it's the most desireable of all the Mi16's.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Thanks guys;

Peter, were the badges different on the boot from the earlier Series 1? You're right (of course) - it has wind up windows in the rear, and no ABS (which for a DIY-er like me, is great, IMO).

Also, it has "Peugeot 405" on the left of the boot, and "Mi16" on the right, which I was sure is wrong, but the ex-owner swears it was like this from new but I'm not sure if he understood what I meant over the phone. I think he was just referring to the "Mi16" script.

However, he advised that the only blemish on the car was a tiny scratch 'on the back'... and the dealer mentioned that they'd sprayed a tiny scratch 'on the back somewhere' (I didn't listen too much) - so I figured that, maybe, the dealer had removed the 405 part of the badge and replaced it on the wrong side (!!!). Although how this'd happen is anyone's guess!

Yep, this car has a cat, but the 1.9 motor. It actually has a Commodore cat along with the stainless system.

Hmm. Weird, some sort of hybrid. I do like the 15" wheels, though...

Stuey

The badges are correct. They've never changed position. I had the same model. White with velour. Mine was 7/91. Jason20 now owns it. Boot was the same as the earlier model. Full sheetmetal came with the 2L engine and later body. Commodore V6 cat is possibly a bit smaller than std. The Commodore Grp A. convertor was the same cross sectional area.
    Last edited by PeterT; 18th August 2004 at 11:02 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

So, I take it you guys didn't get any full 160hp Mi16's in Australia....?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The badges are correct. They've never changed position. I had the same model. White with velour. Mine was 7/91. Jason20 now owns it. Boot was the same as the earlier model. Full sheetmetal came with the 2L engine and later body. Commodore V6 cat is possibly a bit smaller than std. The Commodore Grp A. convertor was the same cross sectional area.
    Sorry Peter, but I'm a bit anal about things...

Do you mean that the badges are correct on mine, in that the script "Peugeot 405" is on the left, and "Mi16" is on the right, on its own? I just can't find any photos.

Thanks,

Stuey

Fellow Frogger!

The Peugeot badge should be on the left side

The 405 & MI16 badges should be on the right side

Thats how they where fitted when they left the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Sorry Peter, but I'm a bit anal about things...

Do you mean that the badges are correct on mine, in that the script "Peugeot 405" is on the left, and "Mi16" is on the right, on its own? I just can't find any photos.

Thanks,

Stuey
    Hi Stuey,

When I got my Mi, my badges had also been re-arranged. Since then I have removed them and put things back the way thy should be. However, I was a little scared that there had been some rear damage to the car (which turned out to be ok). You may want to check to see if its been hit from behind though.

good luck,
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

My Mi16 was a 1990 model built late 1989. It had 15 inch wheels, later type gearbox, ABS, no leather or sunroof. Badging: Peugeot on the left, 405 Mi16 on the right. (But I removed them all.)

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I have the same badge setup I have the 'Peugeot 405' together and the Mi16 on the other side of the boot, I thought it was wrong but have been assured it's correct ?

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I never knew that there was an official s1.5 but have always referred to late s1 cars with some s2 features as s1.5. A mate has a lux pack in sorrento green (which I think is s2 paint), 15in wheels, and s2 gearbox. Everything else is s1. This is the car that inspired me to buy one. I remember seeing another that had the 15s, the s2 gearbox, s1 interior, 1.9, but had the s2 tail lights and boot lid. The only problem with it was that it was ming blue which I wasn't really into.
    I reckon it's a bonus if you can get hold of one of these s1.5s.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    I have the same badge setup I have the 'Peugeot 405' together and the Mi16 on the other side of the boot, I thought it was wrong but have been assured it's correct ?

Cheers

Ben
    Well I immediately looked at the back with a frown and the dealer noticed. I just thought "something's not right here". Then I realised that the Mi16 script was totally different, and assumed this was the strange thing I'd picked up. But I looked at some magazine pics, and they had the 405 together with the Mi badge, but the Mi badge was the older one with the smaller script on a black backing rectangle.

The ex-owner volunteered that the car had never had even a minor dent before I even mentioned the badges.

Yeah, sorry to go on, but I hate badges not being right. It looks bodgy to me.

Stuey

Thread Information