Peugeot 405SRi - Need Advice
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 405SRi - Need Advice

I am seriously thinking about buying a Peugeot 96 405 Sri but it has 233000kms on the clock. But it has a full documented service history and has had a service every 10,000ks and recent new radiator, timing belt and various other jobs. It seems to run great but I am a little worried. Should I buy it or stay away. Itís a great but I have my concerns. The price is $7950

Please email me on [email protected] or just leave a response

Thanks

Advertisement
    Last edited by Luke; 16th August 2004 at 03:47 PM.

dbc

I can't really tell you to buy it or stay away from it. But don't be concerned about the number of kilometres the car has travelled. If it has done 233,000 kilometres in 8 years I would be guessing many of them were done on the highway or country roads. If as you say it has been regularly serviced with documented repairs, it is probably in very good condition. If you continue to look after it as well as it appears to have been looked after by previous owners, you should be able to get another 200,000 kms out of it at least. And $7950 is a great price for a 1996 SRI.
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

1000+ Posts

Hi Luke,

Welcome to I moved this thread to the Peugeot section - the Froggy Chat section is for French car discussions that don't relate to one particular marque.

There's no need to ask for private email replies - it kind of defeats the purpose of having a searchable public database of issues/enquiries about cars.

Having said all hat, with the maintenance this car has seen, I wouldn't be too concerned about longevity issues: the XU family of motors are known to be very long lasting. The 405 SRi has Peugeot's 92kw 2L 8v motor, the XU10J2.

There was a similar question asked here: Mileage on 95 405SRi
    which you may wish to read.

Derek

dbc

I saw the advertisement for this car (or at least a virtually identical car) on drive.com. If I am very much mistaken the photograph looks as it was taken outside Alpine Affaire in Melbourne, who have a pretty solid reputation for selling good quality second-hand frogs.
    And check the thread that Deka posted - the 'mileage problem' seems to be a perennial topic of discussion.
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

The 1996 sri is a beautiful car, and as mentioned before by others k's arent the prob, mine has 146k's on it and drives as well as it did at 40k. In fact with the higher k's and full service history chances are it's a better car than one with lower k's that has been abused. My dad bought a 95' sri with low city k's and had nothing but trouble compared to mine (well his but i drive it!).

My 95 405 SRI has 185k on it, I bought it at 90k. It was a company car to boot. It has been serviced as per the book and better. I expect it to run the same k's again easily.
    As with any car buy on condition and if you can, get a 405 owner to check it out with you. My main probs have been coolant related, (new radiator and heater core). A reputable dealer can give peace of mind

happy buying
    Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Thread Information