407 Coupe
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 407 Coupe

nJm

Default 407 Coupe

A little article from Auto Express, after test driving the prototype 407 Silhouette Coupe.

Advertisement

Peugeot 407 Coupé Silhouette

The sensational new Peugeot 407 Coupé has emerged from the shadows - and Auto Express is first to get its hands on the daring machine which stunned all who saw it at March's Geneva Motor Show.

Christened the 407 Silhouette, the car is officially a prototype, but its bold bodywork and sleek outline show us exactly what we can expect from the eagerly awaited newcomer when it goes on sale in autumn next year.

Set to fill the gap left by the departure of the 406 Coupé, the Silhouette promises to show off exactly what the French firm's design and engineering departments are made of. If appearances alone are anything to go by, Peugeot has certainly achieved its goal of making the Coupé look more like a two-door version of the standard saloon. The front is identical, with a gaping radiator grille, while dramatic headlights are cut into each corner.

To emphasise the Silhouette's performance, the coupé also features a carbon fibre lip on the deep front spoiler and the foglamps have been replaced with air vents. The detailing is spectacular, but these touches are only likely to make it on to the options list for the finished car.

Based on a chassis with roughly the same dimensions as the 406 Coupé, the 407 will have plenty of room for rear-seat passengers and a generous helping of practicality. Like the last model, it will have a boot, rather than a hatchback. Engines are to include 2.0 and 2.2-litre petrol motors and the PSA-Ford 2.7-litre twin-turbo diesel used in Jaguar's S-Type. The top-of- the-range model will feature the 3.0-litre V6 petrol unit in our test model.

But unlike the eventual road car, the Silhouette has been created as a full-blooded race machine, with extreme road manners to match its wild looks. The powerful V6 has been repositioned behind the driver's seat with vents cut into the roof to supply it with air. The six-speed sequential gearbox operates by simply pulling back on the lever to change up, or pushing forwards to change down. There's no need for the clutch, apart from on take-off.

With the engine screaming away in your ear - albeit behind a Perspex panel - it's easy to get carried away and forget this is a precious one-off concept. Then you see the nervous expression on the face of the company's Jean-Christophe Boller-eddat, who created the machine. With 320bhp on tap, the Silhouette has at least 100bhp more than the eventual top-of-the-range Coupé will offer.

However, if its performance around the tight confines of our test track was anything to go by, it is remarkably nimble for such a large car and has plenty of grip too. It suggests Peugeot will manage to combine this with the 407 saloon's excellent ride and work a decent compromise of both into the final production version.

The Silhouette, then, gives us a pretty extreme impression of what the new machine will be like when it hits our roads in autumn 2005. It also hints at a wild performance version of the car, which insiders say could be built in small numbers. If it does get the go-ahead, we'll be first in the queue!
    James Foxall

Article from: Auto Expres

Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

car cetainlt looks the good with all th wheels and wings etc... on it...

although i amnot totally convinced of the bootline or "c" pillar. kinda isn't sleek enough, looks too stiff and that there is rear doors missing.

[email protected] graphics almsot looks HRT

rek

Wow, that does look nice. The gaping mouth doesn't really look out of proportion on that 3 door body. Let's hope they come to their senses and offer the high-power coupe variant with a manual transmission.

(I somehow don't think we'll be seeing the rear-engined prototype version going into production )

Quote Originally Posted by choiboi
    [email protected] graphics almsot looks HRT
    HEY MATE IS THAT THE NEW MONARO??
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

I want one!

Cal

Umm tissues please, I've made a mess.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

That car is a work of art.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

nJm

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    That car is a work of art.
    It is pretty nice eh?

As for the 'HRT' graphics on the side - isn't that one of the earlier Peugeot lions that sat on the bonnet of the 203? I could be wrong as I'm not that familiar with the worm drive pugs, but that gaping lion's head looks familiar.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

as for it looking like the lion that sat on the bonet of the 203 check my avatar. I saw this car last year it looks kind of nice, but i dont think its spectacular the nose is still to long. As for the HRT thing, well think of it this way peugeot were one of the first car makers, so really who copied whos lion ?? . In the end though from the cabin back it kind of reminds me of a BA falcon in the body, anyone else get this impresion ??
    Last edited by orestes; 16th August 2004 at 04:35 PM.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    It is pretty nice eh?
    As for the 'HRT' graphics on the side - isn't that one of the earlier Peugeot lions that sat on the bonnet of the 203? I could be wrong as I'm not that familiar with the worm drive pugs, but that gaping lion's head looks familiar.
    It's a little like the 1965 version ... but not quite.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

EMC

I love it... very sexy, very smooth... awesome performance (although sadly i dont expect it to carry through to the road-car)

i'm just a bit worried about the view from behind... a little bit average...
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Thread Information