406SV(1987) Cambelt replacement EXPENSIVE
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406SV(1987) Cambelt replacement EXPENSIVE

Had a nasty shock recently at 120K service had cam belt replaced only to find that the belt tensioners were stuffed - heaps of brass to replace cause Peugeot has replaced them with a modified type that requires the water pump to be replaced -- add almost $800, to the service just for the pomp then $200 each for 4 belt tensioners.....has any one ese had the same problem

The local dealer were very symapathetic and helped me out with part at wholsale prices and discounted labour rates to City Peugeot (Brisbane)

Advertisement

Cheers Meggsy
    Last edited by Meggsy; 15th August 2004 at 09:30 PM.

that's interesting. I had my cambelt replaced a few months back on my 406SV, and didn't need to fork out for the water pump etc. Mind you, the job for the belt / tensioners etc still set me back over $1000. In the end however, it comes down to either forking out a pile of dough to get it done, or forking out a small fortune when it fails

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    Had a nasty shock recently at 120K service had cam belt replaced only to find that the belt tensioners were stuffed - heaps of brass to replace cause Peugeot has replaced them with a modified type that requires the water pump to be replaced -- add almost $800, to the service just for the pomp then $200 each for 4 belt tensioners.....has any one ese had the same problem

The local dealer were very symapathetic and helped me out with part at wholsale prices and discounted labour rates to City Peugeot (Brisbane)

Cheers Meggsy
    Even though its expensive, its good piece of mind to know the water pump is new. If it goes halfway between 2 cambelts, its the same labour cost again to do the pump
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Yep I do realise the value of the extra that was done I just thought that PSA would have been a bit more considerate in what they did
    Cheers

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

1987 ?

would it not be a 1997 model ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yep 1997 just dislexic fingers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

My 406V6 is a 1998 model and my belt was done a few months ago and cost $650. I almost pleaded with them to do the bloody pump but they insisted it was not necessary. In my MI16 I had to do the pump within 2 months of the first belt change because it started leaking.

My 406 is a manual though and they needed to change the clutch hydraulics. In an SV this is all plastic, plastic cylinders and pistons in the slave and a metal liner and piston in the plastic master. This all cost $540, this is truly outrageous.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    Yep I do realise the value of the extra that was done I just thought that PSA would have been a bit more considerate in what they did
    Cheers

Yeah I agree, some service guys are just not good at letting people know what they're up for. It was really bad for me when I was a student a few years ago and my mechanic was slapping costs he thought were needed onto my already high bills (wont mention names).
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Fellow Frogger!

hi guys,ok ive done eight v6 belts now and every one had a pink staligtite of coolant running down under the pump and flung around the belt.not had any rollers fail yet but i soak them in a special lube while i do the job then clean them up and refit,the labout content of the job is big so i dont want to go in later,most likely at my cost as well.interesting all the first time cam belt ive done with orig peugeot coolant in them have leaking pumps,when i do the second cam belt on the same car with my coolant the pumps are fine.im getting 206 with leaking head gasket externally at the sides and front,drain out and flush the pug coolant,run some dist water for a while refit coolant and bingo ok. i noticed puegoet have respeced there coolant,wonder why.any way getting back to v6 water pumps,always replace them,and use orig pumps only.the cost is forgetten when your cars still going strong years later.hope this helps.

Thread Information