GTi6 doors coming apart
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default GTi6 doors coming apart

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the inside trim of the doors coming off. I keep having to re-attach it to the metal frame. Is this common?? Any way to fix it for good?? Plus the interior door release handle keeps coming off. Build quality....sheesh!!

Advertisement
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

1000+ Posts

Sounds to me like someone's butchered the clips whilst trying to get into the door - perhaps to put new speakers in, or to fix an electric window problem? Given the door handles coming off too, it really does sound like someone's tried to get the doorskin off without taking their time

When you have the door skin off, do check and see if the thin foam-rubber type seal is undamaged (or if it has been cut, it's been repaired with duct tape or similar). Not doing this means the first time you drive on a dirt road you'll get a cabin full of dust, no matter what you do... this is coming from experience - I had to get stuck into my interior and boot first with a vacuum cleaner, then with an air compressor to get rid of all the dust!

You can buy new clips I'm sure.

Derek.

No, the clips are fine and everything. But it is as if they don't fit properly on both doors. I find that I really have to slam the doors shut as the seals are so tight and no air can escape when the doors get closed (all that air pressure stuff...). The speakers are stock so I don't think they have been replaced.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

1000+ Posts

If you really have to slam the doors to shut them, perhaps the striker plate is in the wrong spot and a bit of adjustment could help? Alternatively drop a window a bit?

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the inside trim of the doors coming off. I keep having to re-attach it to the metal frame. Is this common?? Any way to fix it for good?? Plus the interior door release handle keeps coming off. Build quality....sheesh!!
    Is this common? No.
    Any way to fix it for good? Take it to a shop.
    Door handle? See #2

I've never heard of this before, so something is obviously amiss on your car.

my gti-6 is a 135k kms young and the trim is fine, and the doors close fine too

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Nah... just buy a decent car and be done with it.... (*ducks for cover as projectiles are thrown from GTi6 owners*)
    Now, how did I know that someone was going to come out with this?

Looks like I'll have to get it seen to at some point.

had similar issue on the LH door. It turns out the O'Brien glass hasnt fitted all of the screws after clipping-in the door . The frame of the door then flexes and the little plastic handle (for opening the door from inside) unclips and flies off.

When you close the door check if the panel flexes and just unclips the surround. Then when you open the door the clip flies off.

The bolts were M5 or M6 with either a Torx or Hex head. There are 3 of those on the door. From memory 1 or 2 on the main handle and one near the inside mirror cover plate.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pase
    my gti-6 is a 135k kms young and the trim is fine, and the doors close fine too
    What is the highest kms for a GTi-6 anyone has here ... I know one 206GTi with 100,000+ miles on it.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    What is the highest kms for a GTi-6 anyone has here ... I know one 206GTi with 100,000+ miles on it.
    Miles?

Where's this one found itself? Hope it's not in Broome, where half their mileage would come from driving down to Allpikes to fix bloody COM2000s

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

67,000km on my dial at the moment.

Thread Information