Identifying 504 shock absorbers
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Identifying 504 shock absorbers

Hi all,

Does anyone here know how to visually identify whether a set of shock absorbers (dampers) are Peugeot original equipment vs aftermarket?

The car in question is a 1976 504GL. I'm am concerned about my rear dampers. Having recently read an article about Peugeot's original equipment 4 valve dampers, I've been wondering why the damping control of the rear end in my Pug is so ordinary by French car standards. It's got me wondering whether some misguided previous owner has at some time replaced the originals with some kind of generic rubbish. The rebound control is poor, and harshness over small but sharp bumps is quite pronounced for what was supposed to be one of the world's best sedans in terms of ride and handling.

Advertisement

2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

I replaced my original shocks with second hand 505 shocks recently. I did this as the car seemed to be bottomng out on only small bumps.

I then replaced the rear crossmember mounts, this helped with the dead thud sound, one of the brackets was actually loose.

The car still seems to bottom out though, it hits the big rubber stops?

Sounds better than it used to, happy for now

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

'Pieces de Origin' are readily identified... just look at the bottom mount.

If it's a round ring welded to the bottom of the damper body that encases the rubber through which the mounting bolt fits, then they are either 'generic rubbish' or a good quality replacement part from Koni or somewhere else.

If it's a squared-off block that's protruding with the mounting bush inside it, then it's the original Peugeot damper.

Most seem to have been fitted with orange-coloured things from (I think) Gabriel.

The originals also have a plastic dustcover rather than a steel one, but you have no need to look that far.

Thank's Ray,

I've had a look and yes they've got the round ends rather than square.

So now I'm on the lookout for some original 504 rear shocks. Are they still available new, and if so, does anyone have any idea about the price? If not, has anyone here got some good used ones they want to sell?
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

Fellow Frogger!
    Dear frogs,
    I have a good pair of 505 French Aliquant dampers with square lower mounting lugs. I'll let them go for $60 the pair plus shipping to Tassie.
    Want a 604 5 spd g/box??
    Getting late or is it early! (12.30am) I'm off to bed.
    zoom,zoom.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

steve V6:
    Dear frogs,
    I have a good pair of 505 French Aliquant dampers with square lower mounting lugs. I'll let them go for $60 the pair plus shipping to Tassie.
    Want a 604 5 spd g/box??
    Getting late or is it early! (12.30am) I'm off to bed.
    zoom,zoom.
    Hi Steve,

Is the top cover tube on your shocks made from plastic or steel?

I've done some research on 504 shocks, which has lead me to believe that the original equipment 505/504 shocks had plastic cover tubes rather than steel, in addition to the square lower mounting lug. Also, would you be able to tell me what model of 505 they are from?

Thank's in advance,

Doug

<small>[ 22 September 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

I've been told that Aliquant rear shocks are not as good as the original Peugeot rear shocks for 504s/505s/604s.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    from experience after having a variety of shocks in cars over the years
    aliquant, monroe, gabriel or deserve to be wrapped in newspaper and placed in green receptacle quite often found with hinged lid and placed on footpath once a week

as for konis, genuine or bilstien they are all you should run on a pug
    it all comes down to how much you want to spend for these 3 though
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    Dear Frogs,
    I'll check the shocks tomorrow. Don't feel like wandering out the bach at 12.15am. I have two Pugs with Aliquants in them. Both I use for towing a trailer full of sand,garden stuff (for the Mrs) and junk to the tip. The shocks in my cars are fine. Some say "I've been told this or that" without using the shocks. I am using Aliquants on both Pugs and when I drive on country dirt roads (I don't slow down) they keep the back of the car on the road.

Bilsteins cost as much or more than most 504's are worth. I would expect the postage to Tas to be around $10 to $15 for the pair. The last time I priced Koni's they were $160 each! Ring Proven Products and price the Koni's. Bilstiens are twice that.I don't think they (B'steins)are still available for the rear drive Pugs.

The Aliquants came from an auto 505 Gti. With NO tow bar.

Zoom,zoom.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Steve,

Are you sure they're Aliquants? The visual description you gave of them and their performance sounds like genuine Pug shocks rather than aliquants.

The shocks I have in my 505 are exactly like you describe, but they're not aliquants, they're Pugs. I got them from a GTI wreck.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

VIP Sponsor
    In my experience NOTHING works in the back of a 505 504 except genuines (I haven't tried Bilstein).
    Everthing else is too soft as if they forgot to account for the fact that the trailing arms excert leverage on the shockers.
    Konis can be adjusted up to compensate but then the lower rubbers get squeezed out the sides of the tube.
    Get some genuine items from a wrecked 505, they willalmost certainly be in good condition.

Graham Wallis

davemcbean:
    Steve,

Are you sure they're Aliquants? The visual description you gave of them and their performance sounds like genuine Pug shocks rather than aliquants.

The shocks I have in my 505 are exactly like you describe, but they're not aliquants, they're Pugs. I got them from a GTI wreck.

Dave
    That's what I'm thinking Dave, which is why I've asked SteveV6 whether the top tube is made from plastic. Ray Bell says the originals have a plastic top/cover tube, and I am presuming he is correct. If this is the case with Steve's, he's got a sale.
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

Konis are no longer available...

Sad story but true, unless fifty people want to order a pair at the same time.

Ray Bell:
    Konis are no longer available...

Sad story but true, unless fifty people want to order a pair at the same time.
    and the price range would be ????
    i'm sure there could be 50 sales out there somewhere seeing as 504,505,604 are all but the same
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

You're probably right... I'd expect the price to be a bit higher than the regular price.

For that matter, 504, 604 and 505 could all take the same front inserts.

Any takers to be put on a list?

dave may be needed here
    i'm not 100% sure but i think the early 504's (pre 75) are different inserts bieng different struts
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

They are, for sure... but you could make a single unit that would fit all four types, and with a little effort you could use them for 404s as well.

Ray Bell:
    They are, for sure... but you could make a single unit that would fit all four types, and with a little effort you could use them for 404s as well.
    i think it is only a length issue from memory so easy to overcome
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

That's it... in fact there were different units they made that already came in different lengths.

This was catered for by the use of a piece of rod welded to the base, maybe 18mm rod. It was partly parted on a lathe at two different lengths, the installer simply hacksawed through the right part to give a unit with the correct length.

Packing struts with washers is another answer.

you would be suprised with what i have found in the bottom of struts over the years
    anything from lumps of wood and rubber to aluminium blocks
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Rubber?

Seriously, that is off! Wood I could understand, aluminium is fine... but rubber?

Fellow Frogger!
    Dear Frogs,
    I have two pairs of rear shocks. Both have plastic top covers. One pair has Aliquant printed and the other has not, but has a more solid top mount. That pair would be the gen Pug shocks. All four are as stiff as buggery to move. Price still $60 a pair. Should have asked more. Didn't realise they were gen Pug. Looked similar to the Aliquants.

If you are interested I will price the postage to Tas for you. If you wish to reply, em your details to [email protected]

Steve.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

steve V6:
    Dear Frogs,
    If you are interested I will price the postage to Tas for you. If you wish to reply, em your details to [email protected]

Steve.
    Hi Steve,

I've sent an email to the above address.

Cheers,

Frogs.
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

The 505 GTi shocks arrived, thanks SteveV6, and have now been on my car for about a week and covered approx 400 km on various different types of roads. Upon fitting the GTi shocks, I found that the previous units were Munro Wylies and they were very soft to move by hand, whereas the GTi shocks were, as Steve said, as stiff as boards.

So it's time to report on the difference for those of you who are contempleting a similar move.

At first I found that the ride was a little hard for my taste, expecially over low speed bumps and kerbs. This was significantly improved by letting the rear tires down from 31 psi to 28 psi, with no noticeable detriment to handling.

Handling is improved in the following areas:

1. Turn in and steering response is improved;
    2. Susceptability to bump steer is reduced;
    3. Road noise is reduced, especially over joins and pot holes;
    4. Rear end wallow over large undulations is eliminated. This was a big problem before;
    5. Less initial body roll on quick changes of direction;
    6. More stable feel at highway speeds.

The only real down side is firmer, sometimes jigly ride at low speeds, especially when the car is unladen.

Overall a good result.
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

Just by the way... you cannot tell anything about dampers and their capacity to control anything by working them by hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information