Gti 180 oil consumption
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Gti 180 oil consumption

Hi Fellas

Just had a look at the oil dipstick in my car and it seems that the oil level is about half way. All i did is, move the car. So the engine ran for 2 minutes and I let it cool down for an hour. I have done about 6500 kliks and it concerns me.

I plan to have a look at it tommorow arvo at work where there is a flat level place to work from.

Advertisement

Has anyone had any wierd oil consumption probems with their car?
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Oil consumption isn't unusual on a new engine. Also, oil consumption on the previous family of Peugeot engines was quite normal. Nothing to be concerned about.

However, not sure about the current crop of engines. Check your manual as the 306 had an item that confirmed that oil usage was normal.

1000+ Posts

Peugeot.com.au doesn't have anything that I can find, but Peugeot.co.uk says:

" At up to 0.5 litre of oil per 600 miles, Peugeot regards the engine as operating normally. "

That's almost the same as the 500ml per 1000km that my 306 says in its manual.

I'd be interested to know if anything is different for the current generation EW family of engines though
    Derek.

I had a rear main oil seal start leaking on my MY02 GTi. It wasnt a massive leak - not really noticible on the dipstick but when I got under the car I noticed a trace of oil around the flywheel inspection hole - Got it all fixed up under warranty.

I asked around at the time and no one had had any troubles with something like this before. But it may give you a starting point to look at.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    I plan to have a look at it tommorow arvo at work where there is a flat level place to work from.

What about the electronic oil level indicator that comes on whenever you start the car? It stays on for 5 secs - did it used to indicate full and now it doesn't?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Fellas

Just had a look at the oil dipstick in my car and it seems that the oil level is about half way. All i did is, move the car. So the engine ran for 2 minutes and I let it cool down for an hour. I have done about 6500 kliks and it concerns me.

Jim, are you sure you know how to use a dipstick? If not, ask Pete to help you? heheh *ducks*

By halfway, I'm assuming you mean halfway between the low and high level on the stick. I wouldn't be overly concerned either. As Linc just said, it is a new engine and of the amount lost, most of it was probably burnt during the initial run in when everything is just starting to seal nicely.

Derek, yeah I noticed the manual for the 306 states 500 mL per 5000 km, but mine doesn't seem to use ANY oil (within the 5000 km intervals I use). Kinda concerns me, though I'm probably just being way too pedantic.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Jim, are you sure you know how to use a dipstick? If not, ask Pete to help you? heheh *ducks*

By halfway, I'm assuming you mean halfway between the low and high level on the stick. I wouldn't be overly concerned either. As Linc just said, it is a new engine and of the amount lost, most of it was probably burnt during the initial run in when everything is just starting to seal nicely.

Derek, yeah I noticed the manual for the 306 states 500 mL per 5000 km, but mine doesn't seem to use ANY oil (within the 5000 km intervals I use). Kinda concerns me, though I'm probably just being way too pedantic.
    Yeah, my old 6 doesn't use oil either. It's kinda freaky as the engine is designed to use oil to help lubricate the valves.

Half way between the dipstick points is around 500ml. My ST was at that level on the weekend, so I threw in a bit of Neo in there. It's due for a service in 3000km anyway.

Yep, that's 12,000 since February/March.... hehe
    Last edited by GTI124; 12th August 2004 at 10:42 AM.

Ive got an oil Gripe

Why does the 180 need " 5.3" litres of Oil

Has anyone else noticed that Oil only comes in 5 litres....

I just changed mine over the weekend, used mobil 1 super synth at $65 a pop for 5 litres

The oil indicator on start up is short 1 bar thingy and i will have to now spend another $65 for just 0.3 litres...

I know i can use it for next time but its just plain annoying
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

You can get Mobil 1 Supersyn in 1L bottles.

1000+ Posts

Whats worse is the Elf Excellium... 4L bottles!!! ARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    You can get Mobil 1 Supersyn in 1L bottles.
    Really???

Ive went to 4 auto stores over that weekend to locate it... ie supercheap, auto one, kmart etc

Maybe you could assist in where i could get it

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    Really???

Ive went to 4 auto stores over that weekend to locate it... ie supercheap, auto one, kmart etc

Maybe you could assist in where i could get it

thanks in advance
    I've seen 1L Supersyn bottles. Have you tried a Mobil Service Station?

Not yet but will do will this aftetnoon...

Only downside i guess is paying petrol station prices

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Whats worse is the Elf Excellium... 4L bottles!!! ARGH!

Hehe its sweet if your engine only takes 4lt

Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    Not yet but will do will this aftetnoon...
    That's where they sell 'em. 5W50, 0W40, 10W30. Last time I looked my local one had scads of the stuff in 1L bottles although the 2 Autobarns I checked (Auburn and Villawood) both sold 1L bottles, but not the one I wanted.

It certainly does take a lot of oil compared to others (the 138 included), mine ended up drinking just over 5.5 litres. My old 306 XT took exactly 5L from memory.
    Last edited by SLC206; 12th August 2004 at 06:12 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hi fellas

Had a look at it today after work on flat level ground after it had cooled down for 8 hours. The dipstick seems to about 80% full (measuring for bottom notch to the top notch of the dipstick). Funny enough though the reading from the dashboard is full, so I guess it's alright. I am going to keep an eye on it from time to time until 10,000 kay service.

Thanks for your input fellas!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Hi fellas

Had a look at it today after work on flat level ground after it had cooled down for 8 hours. The dipstick seems to about 80% full (measuring for bottom notch to the top notch of the dipstick). Funny enough though the reading from the dashboard is full, so I guess it's alright. I am going to keep an eye on it from time to time until 10,000 kay service.

Thanks for your input fellas!
    Don't you check oil with a warm engine? My Ford manual says that, what does the Pug manual say? I'm assming nothing of the sort, my 306 one was very brief indeed!

Fellow Frogger!

Don't you check oil with a warm engine? My Ford manual says that, what does the Pug manual say? I'm assming nothing of the sort, my 306 one was very brief indeed!
    I'll check it tommorow but from what I remember it should be measured cold. Does anyone have any info contradicting this?
    Bad_Karma

I'll check it tommorow but from what I remember it should be measured cold. Does anyone have any info contradicting this?
    Yeah, I'm curious as to what the Pug manual says. The Fords says to check on a warm engine, I think it says to let it sit for a bit, but nothing like 8 hours. On level ground, of course.

Fellow Frogger!

my falcon has an notch on the dippo for both warm and cold. havnt checked my 180 yet, but yeah I have always assumed most cars to be warm checks, would love to know if this is not the case?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    my falcon has an notch on the dippo for both warm and cold. havnt checked my 180 yet, but yeah I have always assumed most cars to be warm checks, would love to know if this is not the case?

surprised they aren't like a real tractor and have an engine running level on the stick as well

seriously though you should give the oil enough time after the engine has stopped to alow the oil to return to the sump to obtain an accurate reading whether the oil be warm or cold

it is best though to drain oil when it is warm and it has mostly drained to the sump
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yeah, I'm curious as to what the Pug manual says. The Fords says to check on a warm engine, I think it says to let it sit for a bit, but nothing like 8 hours. On level ground, of course.
    The 306 says to check on a cold engine. That's odd that it's meant to be checked on a warm engine for the Focus. I would've thought the most accurate reading is on a cold engine because that's when all the oil is sitting in the sump. Otherwise most of the oil is being circulated around. They must have a different way of measuring it instead of a stick directly into the sump??
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

maybe its the same for all fords?

For info,

My manual says, check it when cold, on level ground, using either the electronic indicator or the dipstick (I finally remembered to look at the book this morning). It also has the "0.5L per 600 miles (1000km)" statement in it about consumption.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Haha,

Without a doubt, Jester. I would indeed be very upset if my car was using any oil (it's only got 9,500km on it after all)
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information