307 Rally Water pump issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 Rally Water pump issues

Did anyone else read the article in Motor?

Advertisement

Seems a little insignificant to me, but rules is rules.

The 307 hasnt been doing to good, when will this turn around?
    Last edited by smokey; 10th August 2004 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Did anyone else read the article in Wheels?

Seems a little insignificant to me, but rules is rules.

The 307 hasnt been doing to good, when will this turn around?
    Well Gronholm won the Rally of Finland this weekend.

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

sorry it was Motor magazine

Troy how is Sebastien Leob doing in the citreon?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    sorry it was Motor magazine

Troy how is Sebastien Leob doing in the citreon?
    He came 4th, and leads the drivers championship by 22 points over Petter Solberg.

Troy.

I say Rally Australia this year in November will see Peugeot win it again. The next one in Germany is going to be Loeb's rally and he will probably win the whole championship this year.

The problem with the 307 is their gearbox and the lack of a second quality driver. I personally think they engineered the car too much to driving style of Marcus Gronholm and the second driver, whoever he might be, from Loix to Rovenpera to Burns (in the 206) finds it difficult to adjust to Marcus' style. Just look at how Burns struggled in the 206 last year.

The 4 speed gearbox doesn't help at all. Marcus said he had to think about what gear to be in before a corner and that will slow him down and also it is quite dangerous when they are driving so fast.

The 3rd 307 in Finland, driven by testdriver Lindholm is testing the 5 speed gearbox and apparently it is quite reliable. Hopefully we will see all the 307 in the 5 speed in Germany. But having said that, Gronholm won a couple of stages without the 4th gear.

But to win the Manufacturer's title you need to have a consistent, good driver and also to have faith with him and let him take on the whole campaign instead of just the gravel rallies or tarmac rallies like what Peugeot is doing now. They should sack all the drivers except Gronholm and get Martin or Colin McCrae as the second driver.

Codgamer

Gronholm has been very consistent this year...

He's failed to finish lots of times

Seriously, he's been leading in lots of events, only to suffer mechanical failure (whether or not due to driver error...) at the last hurdle. Yes, Peugeot are definitely suffering from poor second driver positions this year. Citroen are way out in front due to both drivers getting points in most races. Mr Consistency Carlos Sainz has definitely helped Citroen's points position, and Loeb and Solberg have benefited quite a lot from being behind a car that did not finish.

I guess that old saying, to finish first, first you must finish is appropriate. Having said all that, Marcus has had 3 2nds, 3 zero points and is still running equal 3rd, and only 2 points behind 2nd position in the driver's stakes. I think Richard Burns won the championship one year with only one 1st place, from memory.

P.S. I was under the impression that the new 5 sp box will be fitted for the rest of the year.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

a little off topic I know

but does anyone own rallysport challenge 2 on xbox? if so how do I unlock the 206?

This could start a new thread but I think the new point system doesn't reward the winner enough.

Marcus is a win or die kind of driver, a driving style perfect for the old point system(I think it was a 4 pt gap between winner and 2nd). Nowadays on the final stages on Sundays, all the drivers are basically consolidating their position, driving carefully and holding onto 2nd or 3rd spots and not challenging to win.

To me Burns is more consistent, last year he didn't win any rallies yet from memory he is second on the driver's table going into Rally GB. If it is not for his tumor he could have won the championship without winning any rallies.

But back on the issue, I think when the 206 "Silver Bullet" first appeared, it was way ahead of everyone and Marcus didn't have to push that hard to win rallies. Everybody caught up now with a fast reliable car and Peugeot is there to look stupid with a not fully test 307. At least it is not as bad as the EVO.

Codgamer

Smokey, go get yourself "Richard Burns Rally" on the xbox and you will never look back.

I have played Fusion Rally, V Rally 3, Colin McCrae 4, Ralli Challenge 2 and none of them is as good as RBR in terms of realism. It takes a while to master but it is worth it.

Codgamer.

haha the evo.. from hero to zero.

Why did peugeot swap from the 206 to the 307?

Is there a coupe version of the 307 overseas and before you smartarses answer 307 cc with the roof up. I mean one with a fixed roof

Peugeot has signed a 3yr deal with pirrelli.. pirrelli will supply pug with tyres from next yr onwards!

about time they got another team onboard, i'm surprised how competitive they have been considering they only could collect data from one team. Are tyres really important in rally as they are in f1?

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    To me Burns is more consistent, last year he didn't win any rallies yet from memory he is second on the driver's table going into Rally GB. If it is not for his tumor he could have won the championship without winning any rallies.
    He was actually something like 4th behind Leob, Solberg and Sainz. The points were before Rally GB.

Leob : 63 points
    Sainz : 63 points
    Solberg : 62 points
    Burns : 58 points.

Burns was in with a chance to win the championship if he came second or first, and none of the others got in the top 3. It was such as close championship last year that it could have been possible (Sainz didn't get any points in Rally GB).

Troy.

I think the writing was on the wall for Michelin when we all get our 180 with Pirelli P7000

The 206 cannot be homogelated anymore. The car's size actually turned from a major advantage to an impediment. The engineers cannot fit a more powerful engine or gearbox or suspension, etc into the car. It is amazing though how they can fit a turbo engine in there, even though they push the dashboard back a bit. I open my 180 bonnet and it is packed to the tilt.

Codgamer.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by choiboi
    Why did peugeot swap from the 206 to the 307?
    They felt they had developed the 206 as far as it could go ... the 307 has a longer wheel base, and it was a marketing ploy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by choiboi
    Is there a coupe version of the 307 overseas and before you smartarses answer 307 cc with the roof up. I mean one with a fixed roof
    Nope .... they used the 307CC as the homologation basis. To obtain homologation, 2500 307 CC 130kW vehicles must have been produced before Jan 1st 2004 AND 25,000 vehicles in the 307 CC range must be made in the first twelve months.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

To increase exposure of the car, Peugeot should order Marcus to put the top down between the stages.

Codgamer

Fellow Frogger!

hahaha, a rally 307cc style now that would be funny, a bit of site seeing for the drivers. some wind in the face, the smell of fresh cow dung, hahaha.

In hindsight, since the 307 is so unreliable until now, and will continue to be cos the new 5 speed gearbox will be introduced.

They should have stayed with our beloved 206 and use the 407 as their next car. Now that will be a stunner!!!

Codgamer

XTC

They should have stayed with our beloved 206 and use the 407 as their next car. Now that will be a stunner!!! Codgamer
    With a 407 nose you wouldn't clear half the bumps on a gravel event ... image the jumps !!!

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

I think the writing was on the wall for Michelin when we all get our 180 with Pirelli P7000

Codgamer.
    That doesnt explain why the GTi 138's with 16" rims came with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's as standard fitment - I have a feeling (correct me here if im wrong guys) but the 138's with 15" rims came with Pirelli's also?

I think Peugeot signing with Pirelli in WRC is not linked to the road car tyres at all because they generally go to the lowest bidder. Whereas racing tyres usually go on a performance basis....
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    That doesnt explain why the GTi 138's with 16" rims came with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's as standard fitment - I have a feeling (correct me here if im wrong guys) but the 138's with 15" rims came with Pirelli's also?
    Absolutely. We all know the best 138s came with P6000s on them

Now if the 16" came with GS-D3s, that would be different...
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Now if the 16" came with GS-D3s, that would be different...
    If only they MADE 205/45R16 D3's ... (do i sound bitter ?)

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information