Rattly Water Pump
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default Rattly Water Pump

The waterpump in my 505 GR has been making an intermittant rattling noise for the past few weeks. I can't find any other symptoms of a failing pump though, the car still warms up/cools down as it should, there is plenty of tension in the belts and thermo fan.

Advertisement

Is it likely to just suddenly go? How much do they usually cost? Cheers.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    The waterpump in my 505 GR has been making an intermittant rattling noise for the past few weeks. I can't find any other symptoms of a failing pump though, the car still warms up/cools down as it should, there is plenty of tension in the belts and thermo fan.

Is it likely to just suddenly go? How much do they usually cost? Cheers.
    Possibly a welch plug has fallen out of the head. This will impair cooling and may destroy your pump's impeller.

Graham Wallis

nJm

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a welch plug?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a welch plug?
    A "Welsh Plug" looks sorta like a tin lid on a jar - round & usually with a lip running around the edge. They are used in engines to seal large round holes in blocks and heads that are left from, say, internal machining when manufactured.

What GW means is that behind the water pump (inside the head) there is a largish tin plug which separates the water being pumped from the other water in the head. Welsh plugs are usually located in their holes by press fit only & can sometimes dislodge. It may be touching the impellor of the water pump & you hear a rattle.

I have seen impellors come loose on their spindles in water pumps and this could be your problem. Try & pinpoint the noise with a stethascope (sp?) type tool or even a bit of plastic tube in your ear - or listening with a long screwdriver. If the noise is inside, get a new waterpump, if its a welsh plug only, return the new pump & instead get a new plug.

In your 505 its a super easy job - count your lucky stars its not a STI/GTI as on them it quite a lot harder.
    So many projects - so little time.

1000+ Posts

Nick, just make sure the belt isn't TOO tight. This is one of the causes of the bearings going in the first place...the other being the inner seal failing and washing the grease out. Check there's no coolant leaking around the pump pulley, too, as if the inner seal's gone, it usually leaks out of the outer seal or a drain hole. By the way, if you take the belt off and spin the water pump pulley by hand you should be able to tell if it's knackered...

Stuey

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Nick, just make sure the belt isn't TOO tight. This is one of the causes of the bearings going in the first place...the other being the inner seal failing and washing the grease out. Check there's no coolant leaking around the pump pulley, too, as if the inner seal's gone, it usually leaks out of the outer seal or a drain hole. By the way, if you take the belt off and spin the water pump pulley by hand you should be able to tell if it's knackered...

Stuey

that is so true

the amount of 504 TI's that don't have water pump issues compared to other 504's is amazing

just to clarify, the 504 TI water pump belt is a driven straight from the crank to the pump where as other 504's (and all 505's) have the alternator on the belt as well and seeing as the alternator will slip if it is too loose the belt has to be tight and as such will pull on the water pump

only trouble with the 504TI system is if you break a water pump belt you have to have the right size to put back on as there isn't any adjustment but then on the other hand they aren't super tight either and they tend to last quite a while

just thought i'd add that little bit of useless info regarding 504TI's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information