series 3 Peugeot 205 GTI... should i buy it
  • Register
  • Help

Default series 3 Peugeot 205 GTI... should i buy it

Aperently there is a series 3 205 GTI not very far from where i live, it has been siting in somones yard for quite some time but looks ok bodywise. i have had a look at in the past and thought it MAY be a cheap project, and am going to have a good look at in the next couple of weeks and the see what i can notice as with regards to resprays and dents in the bodywork. There are a few mechanical issues to be dealt with, with it however. the last mechanic that had it has had the head off it and aperently the engine has been rebuilt. i am not certain however that it will start. so where should i go from from here. is it worth geting a compresion test done on it and seeing if the engine is salvagable. is it worth it if the engine is dead, but the body and the rest of the mechanicals are ok. what are the guts in cheap engines that can drop into it, that will give it the same sort of power or maybe a bit more if the engine is stuffed but the body is ok (i'm asuming i'd also require the loom, ecu etc...). how much would i be looking at to put a new engine in it I.E cost of engines with everything else that i need. what are the cost in an MI16 engine and will it bolt up to the stock transmision. are there any other engine conversions besides using an MI16 engine that will give similiar power but are more cost efective. is it more worth it to go for a cheaper series 2 that is in working mechanical order and go from there in the long run. what are the pros and con of series 3's vs series 1's and 2's besides discs all round, power steering, electric windows, 15's and the red tailgate panel.

Advertisement
    Last edited by orestes; 6th August 2004 at 11:10 PM.

im lookin for a wreck to build up a wide body 205 so if its not for you ,please notify if its worth checking out, i dont need motor or g/box or most of the panels but eill take weif thats how it comes,please email [email protected] or post answer ,hope its for you but if not could be for me-BAZw

The question is, how much?
    I am confused about the head off/engine rebuilt/now it may not go bit. Was the work done by the owner who stuffed it up or something? What does the owner say that it does, or doesn't do?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    I am confused about the head off/engine rebuilt/now it may not go bit. Was the work done by the owner who stuffed it up or something? What does the owner say that it does, or doesn't do?
    the work was done by a dodgy mechanic (not by th owner but by a suposed european car mecahnic)... the guys a real dickhead and can't fix pugs but is suposedly a european car mechanic so he wreacks peoples french cars, because he says he can actually fix french cars (including almost mine )... the same dodgy mechanic that stuffed the carbie on my car...the guy took it back from that mechanic and doesn't have a real idea what, if anything the mechanic did to it... i'm going to have a good look at it and see what it does and doesn't do... and lets just say it could be for sale for about 1/4 of what a decent series 3 205 GTI is worth and therefore if theres nothing hugely wrong with it besides the engine it seems like a realitevly decent project... the engine was suposedly rebuilt recently, but as yet i am to see wether the mechanic who did it did a proper job of it, i have heard that he hasn't so am looking at geting getting a compresion test done and seeing how stuffed it is or if it is stuffed at all...if its not in to bader shape i will be looking towards buying it and fixing anything thats wrong with the engine it... if not i will be looking at it as with regards to how much its worth and how much an engine with similiar or more power is worth ... maybe even an MI16... but if it all ends up equating to being more expensive then a decent series 2 GTI i'll give it the flick... as with regards to your question Baz, bodywise and as far as the gearbox and other mechanicals go this car is to good for parts and it would really be a shame to see it go just for that and it is also in queensland so i'm going to have a good think about it and if me or someone else in the family doesn't buy it i'll consider letting everyone else know after that... so suming up i don't really like seeing decent fixable 205's being parted out... there are allready to many idiots that are writing them off... my main question was really just how much i could get my hands on a replacement engine that would give it similiar or better performance for that if worse came to worst i could bolt onto the exsisting gearbox... so if anyone could give me a rough guestamate it would be more then apreciated

sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense but its 3am in the morning and i just got home
    Last edited by orestes; 8th August 2004 at 03:20 AM.

i would say that just about any 306, 405, 205 motor would fix becuause they all use the BE type gear box im pretty sure.
    Correct me if im worng.
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick

orestes

it's a simple 8valve ohc engine

hell even mazdas had them years ago so any bush mechanic can pull one apart and put it back together again with new parts

what you need to know is what reciepts he has for what work to tell you what has been done or just ask the bloke that did it

without pulling the head off how are you going to know what has and hasn't been done in there

yeah a compression test may tell you something but how do you know that it has slightly burnt valves if it reads low ????

get the low down and offer him x amount of dollars but without saying how much he wants for the car and asking if it is a good buy or if it is worth getting then i have a length of string here so guess how long it is ?

in the end you are the one that has to be happy with the purchase if you end up with the car

also i wouldn't do a comp test without checking the cam timing first seeing as you tend to feel the bloke that put it together can't put a nut on a bolt
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    orestes

it's a simple 8valve ohc engine

hell even mazdas had them years ago so any bush mechanic can pull one apart and put it back together again with new parts

what you need to know is what reciepts he has for what work to tell you what has been done or just ask the bloke that did it

without pulling the head off how are you going to know what has and hasn't been done in there

yeah a compression test may tell you something but how do you know that it has slightly burnt valves if it reads low ????

get the low down and offer him x amount of dollars but without saying how much he wants for the car and asking if it is a good buy or if it is worth getting then i have a length of string here so guess how long it is ?

in the end you are the one that has to be happy with the purchase if you end up with the car

also i wouldn't do a comp test without checking the cam timing first seeing as you tend to feel the bloke that put it together can't put a nut on a bolt
    he wants 3k but he'd sell for less i don't want to give many details as i don't want to many other people to know about there allready somone else who does (no names mentioned) and i beleivve its very cheap for a series 3 GTI... also to answer your question... yes i dont think this guy could put a nut on a bolt, he managed to jam the choke on my carbie open ( i have no idea how ) so if he can do that and then stuff the tuning up so badly that it wouldn't start... i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him in rebuilding an engine...

I reckon for a S3 that has an appernt rebuilt motor your getting a good deal for under 3k. 1. your getting the Be3 Gearbox. 2. Disc brake rear end 3. slightly nicer interior. 4. 15in rims. 5. ower steering(yes i know some like it others dont)
    So for maby 2500 you could have a good car that needs maby 2000 spent on it MABY over a year or so. Ide buy it if i werent in Sweden. Well.... il be in the uk tomorrow. But who wants to know that im on holidays.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    he wants 3k but he'd sell for less i don't want to give many details as i don't want to many other people to know about there allready somone else who does (no names mentioned) and i beleivve its very cheap for a series 3 GTI... also to answer your question... yes i dont think this guy could put a nut on a bolt, he managed to jam the choke on my carbie open ( i have no idea how ) so if he can do that and then stuff the tuning up so badly that it wouldn't start... i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him in rebuilding an engine...

don't get me wrong i'm not interested in 205's

ok if he wants 3k or a bit less then check the timing before spinning the motor over, that is of course the other bloke hasn't already done that and maybe stuffed the valves

if the engine is ok then give it the once over, change the timing belt (to be safe) , check out and change other fluids and ancillaries that need checking/replacing and drive the car

there are plenty of 8V engines around if it needs to be changed but then you already have a car so why not just rebuild this one if need be and carry on

ask peter t or some of the other 205 gurus what little mods can be done and enjoy
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information