Saving money on routine services.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Saving money on routine services.

I posted a thread on oil filters the other day in which I gave some specs on what consytituted an oil filter, something a bit more than the old empty canister that a fresh dunny roll was put in and changed at regular intervals...

Oil(filter)s, ain't oil(filter)s....right Sol??

Today, I picked up & fitted the new filter after an oil change and found a few things in the process; without trying to can Purflux that have served us well for years, I have to wonder if like Michelin tyres, we need to move on or at least consider the options.
    The filter that came out was a Purflux but I have suspicions as to where it was manufactured as it definitely doesn't say "Made in France" on the outside. I suspect possibly Taiwan as it carried a series of letters rather than a word, so you have to ask yourself, if we are going to pay premium prices for a filter with a good brand name but made in the peoples Republic of Botswana or somewhere equally as unheard of in the world of automotive accessories, why not buy one we already is known to be made in an elswhere place and save $$$$$$s???

The FSAs I spoke of in the previous post didn't end up supplying mine but looking at it, I can see no wrong in it. It's a "Sakura" brand which is a Japanese company but these filters are "Made in Indonesia" stamped on the box. It also says that it is "Interchangeable with Peugeot 1109.N2"
    No fancy packaging, just a plain old white cardboard box with red & black writing on it. the actual filter face is sealed and instructions on fitting stencilled on the outside..........and what would you expect to pay for this??? $15 - $20 - $30 ????? How does $8.95 (incl GST) sound?
    I'm not getting these through the Total people but from another Oil company and again, if any of you guys want to look at a bulk buy on these, I'm sure I can negotiate a deal for you. As I always usually change my filter when I do an oil change to me this is a good overall saving even against Ryco prices.
    It could be worth checking out the local parts guys to see if they are stocking these brands and at what price and if the price diff is comparable to those we saw on the Elf Oils, could be worthy of a look.

Advertisement

Here's a bit of insight into the company. Like most Asian corporations particularly those with roots in Japan, their mission statement on quality control tends to give a bit of peace of mind.

http://www.adr-group.com/p_quality.html

Anybody else had any experience with them??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Purflux filters I buy (LS867B) have a french address on the
    packet bottom and nothing to indicate Asian origins. I buy thru the Peugeot car club here and I pay, I think $12. I was told they are the 'French ones'.

Alan S you make a valid point about buying a product through habit. We want good stuff for our cars, so we go on recommendations or use a rating such as an Australian Standards listing, which can be a bit scarce on imported goods..

As most of the scribes to this website are fanatical about their Pugs and many of us do our own servicing... Crappy products will soon get known through the grapevine.... so lets hear about the good stuff for our cars

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Icon14

I was a bit gobsmacked when I read the story on this Indonesian company making these for the Japanese; they are one of the biggest makers of filters for Industrial and heavy Industry in the World and having seen a cutaway of one of their filters and seen their specs sheet it is above anything I've seen by any other maker.
    The price factor soon becomes a bonus if the quality and back up is there.
    I'm not saying for sure that Purflux are made in Taiwan, it's just that the actual filter had the remnants of something that resembled lettering that was definitely not "France" after the words 'Made in' but again, that's not to say they aren't still a quality filter, it's a fact that very few Pug or Cit owners buy or get charged $12 as you do for Purflux filters and this suggestion of mine gives them an alternative and is a wake up call for those charging the mega buck prices for Purflux.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 6th August 2004 at 09:15 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hi Alan,

I had a look at the Purflux site a while back, and just revisited to check where they're made. This seems to indicate the extent of their operations:

Subsidiary at 100% of SOGEFI Group since november 2001, Filtrauto is a manufacturer leader in the field of filtration for light, heavy, and industrial vehicles.
    Filtrauto's activities are grouped under the following brand names:
    Purflux, Tecnocar, Crosland, Savara, Donit et Vinto.

Activities are carried out:
    • In France, within the parent company Filtrauto S.A. whose Head Office is located in Guyancourt, in Yvelines, including, besides the Main Departments, the most important design office of Filtrauto, responsible in particular for developing new products for applications on private passenger vehicles and light-duty vehicles. The three French Filtrauto plants are located respectively in Marcillac, in Aveyron, Vire, in Normandy, and Louvigné de Bais, in Brittany, the last one resulting from the acquisition of the company Efficience in 1997.
    • In England, activities are carried out by the subsidiary Filtrauto UK Ltd., with headquarter and factory in Nottingham (Nottinghamshire).
    • In Italy, Filtrauto activities are supported by the subsidiary Filtrauto Italia S.r.l., whose main plant is located in Sant' Antonino de Susa.
    • In Spain, Filtrauto is supported by the subsidiary Filtrauto Iberica, whose Head Office is in Oyarzun near San Sebastian in the Basque region where another production facility is also located.
    • In Slovenia, following the acquisition in 1997 of the company Donit Filters d.o.o., Filtrauto Slovenija now has one production facility located in Medvode.
    • In addition, Filtrauto has commercial subsidiaries in Germany (Filtrauto GmbH), in the Netherlands (Filtrauto B.V.) and business offices in USA and in Dubai (Arab Emirates).
    You can check out their site at www.filtrauto.com Interestingly, they've now got a filter with a curved pleat which is even better than the chevron pleated filter.

Stuey

Stuey,

I don't want everybody getting the idea that I'm sticking the boot into Purflux, it's just that we seem to hear so often of guys getting a service done using a Purflux filter from "Fred's Froggy Service Centre" who has been charged an arm, leg and a couple of more limbs for the privelidge, yet there appears to be other products around of equal quality if not better for a fraction of the prices charged. I'm positive I recently read somewhere that an owner was charged something bloody ridiculous like about $35 or more for a Purflux filter. The other point that I made on the previous posting was that we all wander in to buy a "filter" and take the word of the guy behind the counter as to what we want. These Indonesian/Japanese filters at least give a full specs of what their filters are capable of which to me is a good thing. As I keep saying, if we went into a servo & asked for 5 litres of Oil, we don't expect the guy to appear at the door to the storeroom with a can that simply says "Oil" we expect something that says Mineral. semi-synth or synthetic as well as an SAE rating, yet we but an oil filter on model number alone and obligingly pay the price asked without question.
    As Decca says, we need to know what we're getting not just accept a box with a number and no specifications on it just because a 16 year old trainee parts salesman tells us that's what we need.

Alan S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think the last time i got a purflux filter from a pug dealer it was pretty close to $45 to which i said to the bloke he has to be bloody kidding

oh mate their imported ya know

i think i an FSA on the 306 at the moment and the oil is still clean in the car and it came from auto one or similar

i do know the DeLorean guys idolize the purflux filters for the PRV engine and if a search is done for them they have gone into great depths to explain why they are a good filter

i think they are ok but i still like to know what is out there and as a fitter by trade i really understand that the oil in the car is only as good as the filter keeping it clean
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Alan,

Yeah, no worries. I know what you're saying.

In fact, I never hesitated to use Rycos until I started visiting here and was enlightened about the differences. This was influenced by the fact that we had a country roadhouse and Dad only sold Ryco filters, so I was sort of brought up thinking they were OK... I still reckon they're probably OK, but the lack of an anti-drain back valve on the R12 version was the reason I changed over. Incidentally, the Ryco R12 filter is about 1.5 times as big as other brands, possibly to give as much filter area as the Renault recommended Purflux with its pleated paper.

I've no doubt that there are other good filters out there. Another thing is how much you value what you're protecting. If I bought a new Pug, I'd probably use Purflux religiously. In the old 12, I wouldn't bother too much - although I have started using Purflux. I just buy a couple ($12) each time I get something from Caravelle. $35? There's no way I'd pay that.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what the GM filter costs for wifey's Astra.

Stuey

I cant believe what some people have been charged for Purflux filters. Is it mandatory for dealers or workshops to rip us off?

So what have we worked out in this thread? That Purflux is good enough for our Pugs provided you can buy one at a reasonable price?
    Stuey's post indicates that Filtrauto specialize in making filters. surely they have mastered the game and make the best available.
    Provided they dont make a 'budget' range then maybe they are ok.

A lot of things we buy on price, but most of us I'd imagine would be prepared to pay a little bit more to get quality.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    The price factor soon becomes a bonus if the quality and back up is there.
    I'm not saying for sure that Purflux are made in Taiwan, it's just that the actual filter had the remnants of something that resembled lettering that was definitely not "France" after the words 'Made in' but again,
    My Perflux filters (LS923) are marked "Made in UE"

I think you'll find that this is simply stating they are made in the European Union. Where does the "Made in Taiwan" assumption stem from?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I was going on the fact that previously they had a Country of Origin named on them. Initials usually mean they are trying to disguise where the actual manufacturing was done or at least being vague about it. The one I took out definitely had 3 letters, now it could be (hypothetically) U.nited A.rab E.mirates or it could be P.eoples R.epublic of C.hina or R.epublic of S.outh A.frica and even if it is UE is that any guarantee that the same quality is there from 10 years ago or that the country of origin isn't one of the primitive ex communist block countries who've joined the EEC in the past couple of years?
    As I repeat yet again, I am not bagging Purflux and in fact for some of my other cars I still have & possibly may continue to use them myself, but and it's a big but, there are some suppliers who are obviously ripping some owners off big time as has been proven by the fact that Purflux filters have been charged out at prices ranging from $12 to $45, let's get real; that is almost 400% difference!!! The reason they get away with this is that they keep telling us that they're "special" filters and paint pictures for the gullible, that if anything apart from a Purflux is used that almost certain damage will be caused to the engine; that has to be a load of bollicks!! Being practical, if they were so good, does anybody really think that at least one of their opposition hasn't been down to the local servo, outlayed the cash for one of these magic panaceas, the Purflux filter, whipped out the old 'Magican' can opener, chopped the base off, pulled it apart and proceeded to copy it? They are not an expensive filter, let's be honest. Andyspares price I last saw was approx $6.50 and the point that I made was the fact that we buy one that is 'such 'n such' a part number. If, as manufacturers do, they decide to rationalise their production range and stop making that model or if for some other reason the type we use becomes superceded by another part number, who on here can quote or has access to the actual performance specifications of the part numbered one that suits their particular car that they're using now??? Very few if any I'd guess, and this is the point I am making.
    We've been fed the line for years that if we use anything but Purflux we risk damage when in fact it was more of a case of if we use anything with specifications different to the ones recommended for our cars we risk damage; (this could have even applied to incorrect spec'd Purflux for that matter) but we now have manufacturers being more informative as to drain back valves and relief by pass pressures and we really should if nothing else make ourselves aware of them in case one day the Purflux suddenly becomes not available and also to give ourselves a choice. It also means that as the knowledge of these things becomes more common, as has been the case with Michelin tyres where it was considered a nono to use anything other than them on a French car, today, they are really over priced, under quality in many instances are easily replaced by other brands of around half the price that are a better all round proposition performance wise; something that would have been impossible say 10 - 20 years ago. Others catch up & bigotted owners allow the prices to cllimb as the R & D declines, after all if people keep buying without questioning, why do makers need to develop or improve their techniques or designs?
    To set the record straight for those that I detect a slight hint of "what's in it for him" in the responses; I have absolutely nothing to gain from these things, they're a matter for debate and any costs regarding offers to organise a bulk buy will once again come from my own pocket & not put anything into it, as has been the case with the LHM, Elf/Total Oils and other similar froggy related things I have either organised or assisted in so doing in the past.

Alan S

It's whats inside the metal case that counts. Many years ago we cut open a Purflux and the equivilent Ryco filter. We pulled the concertinered filter material out and stretched it out and the Purflux won by a country mile. More filter material = better filtration and less prone to clogging up.
    Maybe we need to conduct a similar experiment with the filters available today.
    Maybe if we could get two or three people to send a new filter of different types to say Allan he could cut them open, take some photos and report back.
    Then we would know once and for all.

What do you guys think.

Jarrod

nJm

Out of habbit I bought a new Purflux filter for my 505 yesterday. It was $13.80 and has 'Made In France' clearly printed on the filter itself (although not on the box).

I've only ever used a Ryco once, and that's because I found it in the box of bits the previous owner gave me. It is only a 5 minute drive for me to get a Purflux filter, so I think I'll just keep using those
    Last edited by nJm; 8th August 2004 at 09:29 PM.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Well, I just went over & washed the old filter off and nowhere on the filter is there a "Made in France" marking. Note: On the Filter!!
    This one has "Made in C.E.E" now, where's that? China?? It definitely does not say E.E.C This is the one I took out of my car that was last changed by a Citroen dealer.
    As I say, it could be perfectly OK but you have to ask yourself, with the varying prices >400% do they have different manufacturing sources and varying quality standards?
    Chances are they're OK but some have based the quality on the price, so does this mean that if I buy a different brand that's dearer that it'll be better?
    This one was a type : LS 867 B Ref: 1109.N3

This should be suitable for a PSA 1.9/2.0 petrol engine 8 valve suitable for a 405, BX and Xantia.

The service book says it should be a ref no: 1109.N2 which is exactly what the equaivalent is in the one I have, so how safe do you feel now just relying on what you've been sold? Do you know the difference between the two?

THIS is exactly the point I have been trying to make and that keeps getting misconstrued. Without the technical info, you're flying blind regardless of brand and all it takes is one inexperienced parts guy to sell you the wrong thing, an engine malfunction and the whole lot ends in tears.

Alan S

Well, I just went over & washed the old filter off and nowhere on the filter is there a "Made in France" marking. Note: On the Filter!!
    This one has "Made in C.E.E" now, where's that? China?? It definitely does not say E.E.C This is the one I took out of my car that was last changed by a Citroen dealer.
    CEE is an acronym for Central and Eastern Europe, and yes it does sound dodgy, but so what

Mine cost me $24 and that's not cheap, but it's certainly not expensive either. It appears to be the same price at a few pug and cit places I have enquired at. Oh, and mine says "Made in France" on the filter body too.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    CEE is an acronym for Central and Eastern Europe, and yes it does sound dodgy, but so what

Mine cost me $24 and that's not cheap, but it's certainly not expensive either. It appears to be the same price at a few pug and cit places I have enquired at. Oh, and mine says "Made in France" on the filter body too.
    why do I bother!!!

Alan S

1000+ Posts

To set the record straight for those that I detect a slight hint of "what's in it for him" in the responses; I have absolutely nothing to gain from these things, they're a matter for debate and any costs regarding offers to organise a bulk buy will once again come from my own pocket & not put anything into it, as has been the case with the LHM, Elf/Total Oils and other similar froggy related things I have either organised or assisted in so doing in the past. Alan S
    Alan, I was just throwing some info into the discussion. I didn't even notice you'd suggested a bulk buy.

Cheers

Stuey

1000+ Posts

FYI, here's a web site that illustrates some differences between filters. It's US-centric, and doesn't test filters for French cars or even those brands sold here, but is interesting nevertheless...

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html

Stuey

Alan, I can certainly understand your frustration...

We do need accurate information, not salesmen's glib lines.

We do need to know what the things will and won't do... not that they're 'the ones that come as OE'

And we certainly don't need to pay over $15 for filters that are all too similar to ones that come up on special at K-Mart (for other makes of cars, naturally) for $6!

I've long felt it's about time we found an alternative filter (the one for the 2-litre Ford engine comes close, for instance, and will actually fit on a V6 Pug) that has the right characteristics but is sold to a more popular market. Even if it means we have to make an adaptor to put a different thread on one end of our screw-in holder in the block.

Thanks Ray,

The point I am trying to get some sense out of is that in this day & age, I feel buying just on a salesman's say so is a dangerous move.
    Buy a Michelin tyre for arguments sake as I did a few years back without asking questions, and then discover, as I did, that it was made in Brazil and was absolutely crap. Try and buy a well known brand of small appliance and see where Sunbeam, Bosch, Black & Decker, Kenwood and a lot of others are made. We did the rounds when we needed an iron last year; it took ages to find one made anywhere but China; same thing with air/cons. Silly part is, that no longer is price any kind of guide to quality. High price is just that; a higher priced item is not necessarily a better quality one, it's governed by market forces or past reputation not quality & service these days and as I have found now, some of our neighbouring countries are now developing some first class industries that will compete on a global scale in quality and price and in the cases of filtration rightly so as they are nationally involved in that industry and are becoming recognized as among the best around, so I can see no wrong in supporting them if they can supply a quality product at a competitive price whilst being more open about the specifications of their products which some of the more well known brands seem to be very wary of doing. If they're game to open up their specs to the public, they obviously must reckon they have something to sell and nothing to hide, hence I can't understand this reluctance to appraise what they have with an open mind rather than an empty head.

Alan S

All too true, Alan... all too true!

It always strikes me as strange that a salesman can actually stand there and hold a straight face when he tells you one brand of oil, for instance, is better than another... yet he has nothing to back up that statement.

I always read into that the background fact that the store makes more money on that brand.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I put purflux on my cars. They all take the same filter so it's simple. I have used Ryco filters quite a few times if I don't have any filters though (they are the same price as purflux so who cares )

Z142a (Ryco) from the local Big W is about $13bucks, the Purflux from french connection is about $14bux from memory. Big deal .......... Ask Dave from French connection next time he's online. He won't say purflux is the best filter out there, only they have never needed to re-build a motor that has a purflux filter on it. I think that says a lot

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane,

You're obviously trying to take us back to square one; read what the postings are about mate; that's not the issue.
    Methinks we may have disturbed you from reading the book on 'Natural childbirth' .....ypur mind's obviously not on the job.
    Today's the big day isn't it?????

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!

Just in case anyone is interested and to put the record straight, french acronyms are usually the other way around to the english ones (just like thge column shift in 404s and door locks, etc.) like UNO = ONU (Organisation des Nations Unies) likewise EEC = CEE (Comunitee Economique Europeanne)
    Forgive me for the spelling!
    Best regards, Wouter

Quote Originally Posted by wouter
    Just in case anyone is interested and to put the record straight, french acronyms are usually the other way around to the english ones
    I was going to write something similar, but I thought Alan was beyond that already (it turns out I caused him frustration anyway, but oh well).

CEE is definitely an acronym for Central and Eastern Europe, though. I've seen it used a number of times. The French use the term UE to represent the European Union (formerly the EEC). I don't think it has been referred to as the EEC for quite a while now.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    He won't say purflux is the best filter out there, only they have never needed to re-build a motor that has a purflux filter on it. I think that says a lot
    Funnily enough, when I was trolling the net looking for filter information a while back, I saw a post made by some racing mob asking if anyone had had a Purflux filter fail, as they had theirs on their Ferrari fall apart and put bits through the oil. I know this'd be rare, but still... I think Purflux is optional OE on Ferraris.

Another issue is the fact that some goods, including filters, are exactly the same in a different box. That's something pointed out in that link I posted above. Some of the filters were from the same factory, but with a different name. I always like to compare similar items, especially tools, where you can buy a cheaper version that's so obviously the same as the brand name item, but without the brand sticker. Unfortunately, with filters it's difficult to check...

Stuey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information