Long Trips Preparations
  • Register
  • Help

Default Long Trips Preparations

In another thread, I was talking about servicing the car for my upcoming trips. It turned out that I feel I am not really prepared for the trips. Can some fellow aussie froggies help out a tadpole on what to look out for?

E.g. A trip to Perth or Alice Springs would Ithink take about 4-5 days
    I think I would need for the car:
    1. mudflaps, getting installed soon
    2. headlight protectors, same.
    3. bonnet protectors, same
    4. Spare tyre? I don't really trust the hi tech foam stuff.
    5. A can of petrol in the boot, is that dangerous?
    6. Spare Engine oil & coolant, do I really need it?
    7. I got a cross spanner for the bolts on the tyres cos it is easier to take the bolts off than using the one that Peugeot provides.
    8. Get it serviced before I go.

Advertisement

Anything else?

For me:
    1. Mobile phone & charger
    2. Digital camera, just to make SLC206 jealous Unless he comes along, he seems to go to all the drives along the East Coast.
    3. Maps
    4. Red Bull
    5. Change of Clothes
    6. toilet rolls
    7. water

Did I miss anything important?

Codgamer

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    In another thread, I was talking about servicing the car for my upcoming trips. It turned out that I feel I am not really prepared for the trips. Can some fellow aussie froggies help out a tadpole on what to look out for?

E.g. A trip to Perth or Alice Springs would Ithink take about 4-5 days
    I think I would need for the car:
    1. mudflaps, getting installed soon
    2. headlight protectors, same.
    3. bonnet protectors, same
    4. Spare tyre? I don't really trust the hi tech foam stuff.
    5. A can of petrol in the boot, is that dangerous?
    6. Spare Engine oil & coolant, do I really need it?
    7. I got a cross spanner for the bolts on the tyres cos it is easier to take the bolts off than using the one that Peugeot provides.
    8. Get it serviced before I go.

Anything else?

For me:
    1. Mobile phone & charger
    2. Digital camera, just to make SLC206 jealous Unless he comes along, he seems to go to all the drives along the East Coast.
    3. Maps
    4. Red Bull
    5. Change of Clothes
    6. toilet rolls
    7. water

Did I miss anything important?

Codgamer

i'd take more then one spare tire if you can fit it in, you can get stuck 500 or more km's from anywhere and it is posible to have more then one tire go flat, blow out or puncture, i would also maybe look at a roo bar (if you can get one for a 206 ), a plastic jerry can filed with fuel, spare oil coolant and water (EDIT: not in the same jerry can ), and a toolkit, some would also reccomend a CB Radio or a satelite phone as well others may also reccomend an eperb, thats all i can think of... thats some of what i'd consider basic nescesities... also don't rely on red bull to kep you awake, pull over or stop at a town if your tired... you can generally find cheap beds at the local public bar
    Last edited by orestes; 6th August 2004 at 12:54 PM.

XTC

You COULD take the kitchen sink ... having done these marathon runs before, the only extra I'd carry for the 180 is full size spare.

You don't need a can of petrol in the boot, there is plenty of stops for fuel .. you just need to plan them if you want Ron95/98 (plus opening hours can be a little different).

You don't need spare engine oil & coolant.

Water and a Toilet roll is a good idea (some of those outback "donkey drops" won't have any paper at all !!)... as is kitchen towels and windscreen cleaner (the bugs get thick sometimes at dusk and dawn). Let people know where and when you are going. Spare set of H7 globes .. it's a small addition cause you really don't want to be laden down with a whole stack of unnessary luggage, it's not like you'll be venturing off the black stuff.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

I admire your determination !

Maybe you should record your journey with images and turn it into a website and show the world how great the 180 is ! A true road warrior, even without cruise control.

sometimes its better to carry more then what you need i'd at least reccomend an investment in a CB radio so you can at least get somone on the other end of it to you if you need to you may never use it but you'll be thankful you have it when you do need it and they arent expensive... you can break down and be out of mobile phone and walking range from anywhere i'd also reccomend carrying at least one spare tyre and a roo bar or bull bar is esential if you dont want kangaroos or cows that stray onto the road to damage your car... that would be bare minimum ontop of food and water
    Last edited by orestes; 6th August 2004 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    I admire your determination !

Maybe you should record your journey with images and turn it into a website and show the world how great the 180 is ! A true road warrior, even without cruise control.

It is because of the car. Before the 180, I had a 206 XT and my girlfriend can't get me to drive her to from the city to Chatswood. But the 180, I feel excited everytime I get into it and I don't want to get out after a drive.

I am looking forward to NT as there is no speed limit there.

I will definitely be taking photos everywhere I go and probably pass it on to SLC206 to put on 206gti.net if they think it is worthy.

SO far the plan is from Sydney via Mildura to Adelaide, rest a day, then via Coober Pedy to Alice Springs, then Darwin. I am still researching of things to do in Darwin but it seems there is nothing to do there. A friend of mine said I should check out the Katherine Gourge or something. If Darwin is too boring then I might just go from Alice Springs up north and turn right to Mt Isa and then off to Townsville, Mackay, Rockhamption, Brisbane and then back to Sydney.

If the trip is fun, I will definitely be going from Sydney to Perth at the end of October to coincide with the WRC there.

Codgamer.

Where do you get a good CB radio. Dick Smith?

It is because of the car. Before the 180, I had a 206 XT and my girlfriend can't get me to drive her to from the city to Chatswood. But the 180, I feel excited everytime I get into it and I don't want to get out after a drive.

I will definitely be taking photos everywhere I go and probably pass it on to SLC206 to put on 206gti.net if they think it is worthy.

SO far the plan is from Sydney via Mildura to Adelaide, rest a day, then via Coober Pedy to Alice Springs, then Darwin. I am still researching of things to do in Darwin but it seems there is nothing to do there. A friend of mine said I should check out the Katherine Gourge or something. If Darwin is too boring then I might just go from Alice Springs up north and turn right to Mt Isa and then off to Townsville, Mackay, Rockhamption, Brisbane and then back to Sydney.

If the trip is fun, I will definitely be going from Sydney to Perth at the end of October to coincide with the WRC there.

Codgamer.
    Rather than going to Mildura, I'd recommend going to Wagga, stay there overnight, and then head down to Ouyen. Get a good map, you'll see the road I'm referring to. Very quiet...very very quiet...just the thing to make the Hay plains go that little bit quicker.

Along the Sturt Highway? and when I get to Ouygen, go west on Mallee Highway?

Codgamer

Where do you get a good CB radio. Dick Smith?
    you'll find that good car audio places also stock CB's, but you may also find them at electronics stores such as tandy and dick smiths... just ring around and tell people what you want... get a good deal and a decent one isn't all that expensive... its well worth it, ive done trips up and down queensland in 4wds with people, there good when you need them...

Along the Sturt Highway? and when I get to Ouygen, go west on Mallee Highway?

Codgamer
    Unfortuately, we lost (the great forum crash) the awesome directions in the thread I created when I drove to Adelaide last. You head down to Denilquen. I haven't got a detailed map on me at work, but I'm pretty certain I still have the instructions printed out and in my car. I'll find them for you. Perhaps Ray Bell will jump in as I'm pretty certain he wrote them for me.

Note, there's no PULP until Ouyen. Don't sit at 200kph for too long...erm... not...that I was doing that... then again, after Ouyen there's plenty of servos, not that you need one until Adelaide...erm... not that I was... erm... speeding... of... course... not...

Thanks Gti124, the directions would definitely help.

What is your rev when you are doing 200? 6000 or 6500? How long did you drive at that speed for? The fastest I have done was 185 at the 206gti drive on the way to Bathurst.

Codgamer.

Thanks Gti124, the directions would definitely help.

What is your rev when you are doing 200? 6000 or 6500? How long did you drive at that speed for? The fastest I have done was 185 at the 206gti drive on the way to Bathurst.

Codgamer.
    I wouldn't know... but my guess would be that it was around 6000... and umm... in this hypothetical situation, i was on and off at this speed for around an hour... of course, none of this actually happened.

From Denilquen onwards, I stuck to a very boring 110-120kph, in an effort to ensure I had enough fuel to make it to Ouyen with enough spare to make it to Mildura if they didn't. You'll be happy to know there are two PULP stations in Ouyen, go to the BP on the other side of the tracks. Nice owner there.

Excellent, I am writing all this down as we speak. Friday afternoon is where we work hard and make our living.

Codgamer

OK here are Ray's original directions. They are very good and very accurate.

Wagga, Lockhart, Urana, Jerilderie, Conargo. About 9kms short of Deniliquen you turn right into Wandook Road, it's about 8km long, comes out exactly 10kms north of Denilquen on the road to Hay...

Turn right (at the end of Wandock Rd), 8kms along at Pretty Plains turn left, and go to Moulamein, straight ahead towards Moolpa and Balranald.

About 32kms west of Moulamein you go round a gentle curve to the right, and just as you turn ito this curve you see a road to theleft which goes to Kyalite, turn there, at Kyalite turn left to Toolebuc, left after you cross the Murray at Piangil, where youturn right and head through Manangatang, Ouyen, Underbool and Murrayville to Pinnaroo, keep on to Talem Bem (good driving along here) and into Adelburg
    Stop at Lockhart, it's a really nice looking town, especially early in the morning.

Going this way is very pleasant. I really enjoyed it, and it breaks up the plains very nicely. There are some really nice towns along the way. I stopped at Urana (I think) and Kyalite. Make sure you stop as they're lovely towns and it's good to support them, rather than just shooting through. Easy to do, especially when you're having fun in your car!

There are some sections of extremely good visability and completely vacant roads. Just be careful of the fuel consumption. But I've already done the hard yards for you, if you're running a 55L tank (like my ST) then you'll make Ouyen without too much trouble, no matter how much you gun it.... if that's your thing

There is PULP in Ouyen, so don't stress. If you're really concerned, perhaps a small jerry can of PULP might be a good idea. Just remember that you'll probably need a jerry can and funnel, the spout on the jerry cans are never long enough.

Have fun and let us know how you go.

You know this is making me want to go and visit Adelaide again, don't you?

XTC

So Codegamer .. you heading over or what ?
    PS: RallyOz superstage tickets are selling fast .. $50,000 went in the first day !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Just remember the emrgency number for a mobile phone is 112 and u should be able to get reception even if you don' t have as it runs on any signal it finds.

VIP Sponsor

Codgamer.

What about Kakadu? Seriously ther's heaps to see in Darwin and make sure you go to the aviation museum, B52 INSIDE the building, along with things like aircaft engines which were extracted from out of the bitumen runways after WW2 crashes.
    Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I wouldn't know... but my guess would be that it was around 6000... and umm... in this hypothetical situation, i was on and off at this speed for around an hour... of course, none of this actually happened.

From Denilquen onwards, I stuck to a very boring 110-120kph, in an effort to ensure I had enough fuel to make it to Ouyen with enough spare to make it to Mildura if they didn't. You'll be happy to know there are two PULP stations in Ouyen, go to the BP on the other side of the tracks. Nice owner there.
    Yeah Ouyen is a nice place - to visit! I lived there for a year.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    You know this is making me want to go and visit Adelaide again, don't you?
    You remember the road's over here dont you Lincoln?
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Hi guys,

Just got back from my trip to Alice Springs. The plan changed a bit cos my gf ended coming as well. That became a good idea as she ended up being the cameraman.

Spent the first night in Broken Hill, Got booked for speeding near Bathurst, 128km

2nd day, via Port Augusta to Coober Pedy.

3rd day, Coober Pedy to Alice Springs, saw a Subaru WRX STi, tried to catch up with him and when I got to 180km/h and he is still speeding away, I gave up.

On the way back, stayed in Adelaide overnight and the best driving was on the way back from Adelaide to Sydney. I drove to Ouyen, then Kulwin, manangatang, Piangil, Kyalite, Moulamein (the best 60kms of road, no cars and no markers on the road), then to Conargo, Jerilderie, Urana, Lockhart, then Wagga. I like it how most of the bends (95km/h recom) you can do 120 to 130 km with the 180.

It was also nice to be the only Peugeot in town when I was in Alice Springs, got some looks like my car is a Ferrari or something. Will post the pics and movies soon, including the top speed that I did in NT.

Codgamer.

Thread Information