406SV 'Flat Spot' at 3000RPM
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406SV 'Flat Spot' at 3000RPM

Hi,

I have noticed a slight flat spot at exactly 3000RPM in my 1998 406SV. If I am accelerating at moderate throttle settings (around 1/4 throttle) it noticably hesitates as it passes 3000RPM then takes off like a rocket at 4000RPM. It isn't a big deal but I am wondering if any body else has come across this?

Have a good one,

John P.

Advertisement

Default flat spot at 3000rpm

Johnp,

There has been a few posts regarding this same problem (some by myself). Nobody really could give me a straight answer as my car 406SV 1998 manual has had the exact same problem. I beleive it would be more noticeable under full throttle. A chap in the U.K. was so upset about the ploblem (his was much more severe, as his car use to shutter from 3000 - 4000 then accelerate) that her slagged the car and the mark severely. His and my Peugeot mechanics were unable to rectify the problem and I was eventually told to live with it. The U.K. chap eventually stumbled on a fix being the safety switch also known as a fuel cut off switch (when one is in an accident) which he bypassed and which seemed to fix his.
    Now my fix was a totally different issue. My car started to deteriorate to a point where I had very little acceleration between 3000 - 4000 worrying when you need to overtake. After two so called fixes City Peugeot (Melbourne) detected a problem with the coil pack on one bank, changed it for new and wallah problem solved. The D8's have a pack of coils per bank but the D9's have individual coils.

I hope this helps you with your issue, I know it's going to get more frustrating of a problem, good luck.

Marc

Tadpole

The car has been doing since I have owened it (about 2 months), but it doesn't seem to have become any worse in that time. I am going to hook the car up to diagnostic gear on the weekend to check the MAP sensor operation so I will see if there is anything there, like fault codes etc, indicating an issue with the coils while I am at it.

I was also aware of my 1998 manual 406 SV doing the same thing, it has always had a bit of a fluffy point mid revs, it did not get any worse and I have just got used to it, I think its how they are.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Tadpole

I took the car to the Peugeot Association of Canberras mechanic on Saturday arvo and hooked it up to the computer diagnostic gear. It revealed the the recharge times on the coils are as follows:

Coil 1 - 5: 87.33 ms
    Coil 2 - 6: 0.05 ms
    Coil 3 - 4: 87.36 ms

I don't know a great deal about coils, but I am thinking something is wrong with the coil for cylinders 2 and 6. I drove the car around with no problems on the weekend, but when I went to start it this morning it sounded like it had developed a sevear miss (very rough, garage smelt of fuel). I stopped and restarted the engine, still missing, stopped it again and waited a minute before sucessfully starting it. I drove it the whole way to work with no problems, not even a noticable performance degradation, including a stop and restart of the engine at the shops where I buy breakfast.

At this point I'm not sure if it could be a loose connection or a dodgey lead, all the spark plugs were replaced in it's 80,000KM service done the day before I took delivery of it, so it's possible a lead wasn't connected correctly. The other alternative is the coil 2-6 is stuffed.

Tadpole

Default New Coils fixed my problem

Hi,

I have a 2002 SV Manual and since I bought it, always thought my engine was a bit sluggish in comparison with my friends and my mum's auto versions, but lately I started getting this anitpolution fault and took it the Peugeot Service Centre and they told me that my coils were shoring out and needed to change them. Since then its reving like a dream. Be prepared though, I got charged $850 for the work, but it's worth when you drive it after.

Good Luck

Gaj

Thread Information