funny clunky noise
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

funny clunky noise

My 306 has developed a clunk on full turn in reverese, and the other day i relised the same clunk on some very hard braking, the noise seems to be comming from around the shock area but not sure if it could be steering related.

Advertisement

I had my pug mechanic take a look at it, and he says it sounds like the valve in the shock absorber is gone.

Have any you's had similiar problems?

Not myself, but another 306, had this sound too.
    It was drivers side spring in the strut, it had twisted and when at that load/angle would twist back, thus clunk in and out of place. hope that helps - chris
    ... ptui!

That sounds logical...

Problem with these things, a 'clunk' is often very different to the ears to what it is to the eyes reading it on the net.

Worn drive shaft cv's will clunk esp on full lock
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I have always had a clunck in my front right suspension. Aftyer replacing the strut and re-greased the drop links, still didn't go away. Took it to pedders for their active suspension test. It couldnt duplicate the sound, the he showed me how much he could twist the coil in the mount (about 2cms twist). I think its that, though I don't know how to stop it moving.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    there is also another noise that 306's can develop on the right hand side near the strut tower
    the engine mount on the right hand side of the car where it mounts to the body is held in by a nut welded to the body
    as such the weld around the nut can crack and then engine mount tends to move a little
    it is an easy fix but it is a very common problem
    it was actually in a release from peugeot about this problem but wasn't serious enough to have a recall on them but it is also worth checking even if it isn't what is causing the noise

i though i would put this in here for all 306 owners anyway
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Zen
    Now that you mention it, I do get a clunk when I turn from full lock back. Power steering works till I get to full lock and then it's really hard to turn it back, that's when I get the clunk. Is this the same thing? Any ideas if not?

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Zen:
    Now that you mention it, I do get a clunk when I turn from full lock back. Power steering works till I get to full lock and then it's really hard to turn it back, that's when I get the clunk. Is this the same thing? Any ideas if not?

Rich
    Rich ... this might not be related.. but my Cordia Turbo used to have power steering and often would get hard to turn back... turned out the pump was not bolted back on properly and as such the pump belt slipped... check that perhaps?
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

immy s16,

Is the clunk a continuous rumble/rattle while reversing and if so is it synchronised with the speed the wheels are turning?

Or is it a single clunk as you release the clutch/apply the throttle?

Likewise, under braking, is the clunck continuous or just once when you first hit the brakes?
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

Well I have no clunk in my steering, only very ocasionally the power steering doesnt kick in right away when coming out of full lock, but this only happens when I am stationary, where I shouldnt be giving it that much lock anyways.

My front end clunk only happens at slow speeds and is only really audible on slow compression as opposed to pot holes etc.

My mi16 has a clunk at right full lock - i was told by my mechanic that it was the bushes, taking it to a suspention place to get funn nanothane bushes they said they were all fine and do not need replacing.

so i dono, doesn't seem to effect anything.
    its not the cv's or anything as you can do a full turn and wont hear any other clunks.

unexplained.. althought i do beleive the power steering pump makes a few clunks and vibrations when the belts are loose..

cheeers

Nathan

Fellow Frogger!
    Ok i have only noticed the clunk on the left side all sterring components are are in good nick.

I get the clunk when i reverse out of teh drive way, the steering wheel usually is at right full lock, when i stop and start to turn back the other way that is when the clunk happens.

And on braking i have only noticed it on extremely hard braking and the steering wheel is still straight.

Thats why i am also assuming its either movement in the spring or a worn out shock, or possibly a combination of both.

I have had engine mounts checked out about 6 months ago and at that time they where all ok, and also there is no other clunking noise at any other time.

Could be a loose bush in the rack... otherwise I'd stick to the spring theory. It's not CV joints according to that description.

Tadpole
    My S16 has always had the clunk in the right front when turning left very slowly and travelling across a shallow drain or similar. I had it back under warranty and a bush was replaced somewhere, but the clunk remained. I've also had an engine mount replaced but that didn't fix it either. It doesn't seem to affect handling/ride, and sounds like a spring clunking into position. I've just got used to it, as no-one seems to be able to fix it.
    1995 306 S16....now has a new home.
    2003 Astra Turbo

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    ok there was a thread here a while ago about my mothers 206 and it had a clunking noise in the front end plus a few other little problems

as we found out it was due to the incorrect seating of the lowered springs she has in her car
    now i know that you may not have lowered springs but wether they are lowered or not if they aren't seated then you will get a clunking noise

also is the car unsettled over bumps on the open road ??

if so get the springs checked and make sure the 'A' arms are aligned correctly
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks for the replies, will try and get some one to check it out this week. I do hope it is the matter of resetting the spring.

Is it possible to 'lock' the springs into the base of the assembly? I know my powered Apex springs dont sit properly and the guy at pedders could twist them about 1-2cms when the load was off the wheel.

<small>[ 23 September 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Brad ]</small>

VIP Sponsor
    My 205 SI clunks in the front left hand side, sounds like strut top, I have replaced everything, lower control arm, shockers, roll bar bushes.The rubbers at the top of the strut looked fine. You can't feel it in the steering.
    I have been told that the pressed metal that contains the strut top rubbers can bend, does anyone have experience with this?

Graham Wallis

Thread Information