Taking my Gti 180 for Service Part 2
  • Register
  • Help

Default Taking my Gti 180 for Service Part 2

I just saw that there are mudflaps you can put on the 206.

Does anyone know if it will fit in my Gti 180?

Advertisement

Can I have some feedback on whether they are a useful accessory or not. Or just any feedback about them.

Does anyone actually got the mudflaps fitted? I would like to see what it will make the car look like. If someone has them fitted can you please send me some photos. Thanks in advance.

Codgamer

yeah, you'll need it if you go to 206gti.net drives. But I am planning a trip to Perth in November to watch the wrc. Gonna drive there...still thinking about it though, cos everyone I know told me not to and say I am crazy to do it.

Codgamer.

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    yeah, you'll need it if you go to 206gti.net drives. But I am planning a trip to Perth in November to watch the wrc. Gonna drive there...still thinking about it though, cos everyone I know told me not to and say I am crazy to do it.

Codgamer.
    Aww, come on. What's a little dust. It makes people think that you've actually driven it somewhere (and not just to the hairdressers)

I got more mud on my car from parking it on a field at the French Car Day, but that is another story....

P.S. I reckon you should do the Perth thing. It just takes a while, and would be so much nicer with cruise control
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I'd be a bit sus going for huge drives to who knows where with 2 cans of mousse. Dunno how good the stocks are either for 40 profile tyres out of town.

Fellow Frogger!

the 180 handles the muddy stoney stuff real well.

i took mine onto a known forest track on the south coast not long ago. its really clean, no stump stuff and no potholes, I guess it could be described best as a mixture between a speed way track and a rally road.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Aww, come on. What's a little dust. It makes people think that you've actually driven it somewhere (and not just to the hairdressers)
    Yes Simon, the reason for the mudflaps is so I can drive to the farm for some fresh cashmere.

Where do you get cashmere anyway? What the hell is it?

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    PS: The last 206 drive involved NO dirt roads. It's just not practicle in a 180 with those low profile tyres! Troy has one now as well (a 180) so i'm sure the drive days will start to accomodate more of us people with low profile dirt hating tyres How's your planing going, SLC. I'm up for another run!!!
    I second that!!! The last 206 drive my car was stuck in the car park cos the fxxking sliding gate won't open. I called Gavin and he had to work that day. I swear I could hear him choking back on his tears, but so was I.

Dude, i live 'out of town'. Exactly what sort of roads are you planning to drive on?? I hate not having a spare, but only when i head toward the mountains. The roads to WA are all sealed major roads... don't hit any potholes and you'll be fine. Do, and you'll bend a rim like i recently did. The only thing that foam wont fix is sidewall damage. The only time i've ever got sidewall damage was on a dirt mountain road playing 'rally driver' in my Mi16. That foam is meant to be good for about 80km. You'll either be able to get mobile reception or find a sevo within that sort of distance. If not, flkag down a trucker, they wont all murder you and dumpb your body in the bush!

Are there any 180 owners out there you've had to use the foam yet??
    I thought that foam is for my hair...

Yeah, I just ordered the mudflaps, headlight and bonnet protectors. Gonna have them fit in on the 17th.

I am taking a couple of months off and I plan to drive around Australia in my lovely 180. Anyone is welcomed of course if they are crazy enough.

Planning on going to Alice springs in 2 weeks time as a trial run for my perth trip.

The spare tyre is a good idea, might buy a spare tyre and pop it in the boot. But since the P7000 is directional, should I get a right side one or a left side one?

Don't get me started about the rim. My rims are goners man. The are all scratch and dented on the edges.

Codgamer

. The only thing that foam wont fix is sidewall damage.
    Yeah but I'm not exactly a fan of forking out the bucks for p7000s everytime I get a punture cuz I used the mousse.

Couple of guys in the uk forum used them & the same complaint.... of a new tyre.

I wouldn't drive to Perth without a full sized spare wheel. On my last trip over to Adelaide the night after I got back from the Flinders (Wilpena) I found I had a side wall flat in the ST. Thank goodness I was in Adelaide, but even then a new Continental ContiSportContact in 215/45R17 still hurt! Especially since the car was a mere 10 days old or something!

If I had been stuck in Port Augusta with such a flat, a new tyre would've been at least a day wait and would've hurt even more. I'd hate to be in a roadhouse on the Nullabor with flat. I'd be incredibly nervous with just two cans of goo. Maybe you can borrow one for your friendly local car dealer?

Yes, the chance of a flat of a highway are low, but I was on main roads too, except for the dirt roads around Wilpena (where I probably sustained side wall damage, but not the flat that I got in Adelaide).

Element, the UK appear to replace tyres more readily that they do in Australia. But the use of goo and its effect on a tyre is worth looking into before a big trip like this.

JEster-fu, yes, you may be out of a main city, but Newcastle isn't that far away. With nothing between Ceduna and Norseman, that's 2 long days of driving between tyre shops.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I wouldn't drive to Perth without a full sized spare wheel. On my last trip over to Adelaide the night after I got back from the Flinders (Wilpena) I found I had a side wall flat in the ST. Thank goodness I was in Adelaide, but even then a new Continental ContiSportContact in 215/45R17 still hurt! Especially since the car was a mere 10 days old or something!
    Sorry to hear about throwing out a new tyre.

Damn you must be pissed off. I would be if it were me. Hell I get mad when my rims got scratched!

The P7000 is directional, any idea how I would get around that without buying 2 spare tyres. Should I get the right ones or the left ones.

Codgamer.

It gets confusing, but here goes:

You have directional tyres, not assymetrical directional tyres. This means your tyres work on either side of the car but have to be mounted to the rim to suit the side of the car the tyre is going on.

Now, an assymetric tyre has a left side and a right side, but it doesn't matter which way it rolls, as the outside is always the outside and the inside is always the inside.

Now, an assymetric directional, has an outside and an inside tread and also has to roll in a particular direction. There's not many of these around, only one Ferraris and the like.

So, if you use any directional tyre as a spare it can be facing the wrong way. Best way around this is to get a non-directional (you can use assymetric, but not necessary) tyre as your spare. Something like a Pirelli P6000 or something. I'd also recommend that you get a 15" rim and tyre, rather than a 17", that'd just be a waste of money.

Hopefully you'll only have a regular flat tyre and will have it repaired at the next petrol station/garage. Any shop can repair a regular flat. If you have a side wall flat, you're stuffed and need a new one, no spare tyre will help you there.

If you really want to have a 17" P7000 as a spare, you can drive on it, justbe careful, especially if it's raining. When you get to the next garage, have them swap the tyre around. I really wouldn't recommend that you do this, it's just a waste of time. Whilst you're at this shop they'd be repairing the first tyre anyway!

I created a thread on this a while back Spare Tyre?

I should have kept the spare tyre under the car when I sold the XT. The dealer didn't even check when I sold it to him.

At least I kept the back seat floor mats and the boot net (so I have 2 now)

Codgamer

Thread Information