Taking my Gti 180 for Service
  • Register
  • Help

Default Taking my Gti 180 for Service

I will be taking my Gti 180 for my first service in a couple of weeks time. I have been reading about how to get better performance out of my car. Can someone clarify these facts/lies for me so I don't look stupid when I ask the service manager to....

1. Have a software update on my ECU True/False
    2. Deactivate the pollution control in my ECU, get 3-4 kw extra.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.

Codgamer

Re the software update... depends where you get it serviced. A pug dealer will only provide genuine factory software which is for production cars but that doesnt mean there have been no routine upgrades which could be beneficial.
    An aftermarket, performance orientated supplier may be your answer if you have a sporting bent. I am assuming the car is well run in .
    It depends on what type of performance you want. The standard ECU software is configured for the car's anticipated market. ie..on driving styles presumed, fuel available, and is usually a compromise.
    Personally I would prefer good torque and tractability ahead of brute horsepower that gives dragway performance. And I would go for good tyres and suspension tweaks that enables your car to use all available power.

As for deactivating the pollution gear.. may be illegal, but all this gear is part of the ECU and the aftermarket supplier should know.

I didnt think taking off pollution gear was benefical to performance. In the old days when this gear first came in, in the 70s and 80s, I recall people taking stuff off their engines but these were early days as far as pollution controls and the bomby engines they put in Holdens and Falcons were made worse by strangling additions to their cast iron wonders.
    I would believe that modern engines are designed as a whole and as such removing something could have a negative effect

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger!

codgamer, where did you hear about deactivating the pollution control? Interesting, is it legal?

I heard about it from Jester_fu in another thread. He said he is in the process of finding out himself. Would be good to know if it is legal.

Codgamer.

Default pollution

Guys,

There is nothing programmable about the anti pollution settings within the BSI of the 180. Simply put "not true"

As for software downloads they do exist from time to time but there are none outstanding for 180 at the moment.

BR
    Dwyer
    Dwyer

Thanks Dwyer,

I am seeing Nick Karas next week. I guess I will keep quiet and just let him service my car then.

Codgamer.

Icon10

Mate,

Seeing as it was Nick I checked with, I guess you are right.

Feel free to have a chat with him about things when you pop in.

BR
    D
    Dwyer

Thread Information