Michelin XM1
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Michelin XM1

Default Michelin XM1

Been quoted $140 per tyre for Michelin XM1 for my 405.
    Does anyone have any feedback for this tyre...
    or.. other suggestions around this price

Decca

Advertisement
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

1000+ Posts

I know they are the Michelin Energy range replacement for the fairly poorly regarded and recently discontinued Michelin Certis.

The XM1 are made in Thailand - so I presume - the same factory as the Certis were made in.

I do know the XM1 have a very high silica content - this will give it good wet handling characteristics combined with very good longevity. The wet handling abilities were something the Certis missed out on in my opinion. The high silica content also contributes to fuel efficiency (improvements of up to 10% reduction in fuel consumption) - this is why they are called "Michelin Energy."

I would imagine they are a good touring tyre, with good performance in wet conditions.

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    wet handling abilities were something the Certis missed out on
    That's the understatement of the year!
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    That's the understatement of the year!

Do you think so?? I never had a problem with wet roads on the certis. Always handled rather well if you ask me, better than the Dunlop 300SP (sport) tyres did. And it rains heaps in canberra!!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Do you think so?? I never had a problem with wet roads on the certis.
    I never had a problem with wet roads on Michelins until I got the Certis. Until then I was a Michelin man. I've had XZX, MX, MXT, MXF, MXF Club, Vivacy and was very happy with all of them, then in 2001 they told me they no longer made the Vivacy in 195/65 14" and the Certis was all that was available. They are both the most expensive and the worst gripping tyres that I've ever bought.

About ten years ago I bought some Falken tyres. They gave good feel and handling but gripped no better than the Michelin MXTs and wore out alot quicker, so I went back to Michelins, until the arrival of the Certis.

I now have Yokohama A539s on my car. They're cheaper than the Certis and grip like nothing else I've ever bought. The Yokohamas seem to be wearing very well, they give light steering and they grip really well on dirt roads with good feel. The only down side is that they have poor feel on tarmac, especially on centre, but no worse than the Certis in this respect. I'm willing to forsake the on centre feel (as much as I crave it) for all the other good things these tyres give. The only good things about the Certis was the light steering and long wearing, but the A539s are atleast as good in this respect and lightyears better in every other area.

Dave
    Last edited by davemcbean; 5th August 2004 at 10:41 AM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

And it rains heaps in canberra!!
    Where have you been for the last couple of years, It rained the other day and my 4 year old was scared (not really), hardly ever seen the stuff
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

1000+ Posts

Do you think so?? I never had a problem with wet roads on the certis. Always handled rather well if you ask me, better than the Dunlop 300SP (sport) tyres did. And it rains heaps in canberra!!
    Yup - terrible tyres (for their price anyway!) I had them on my previous 306XR. The Michelin MXT (I think they were?) that were the OEM tyres on my 306XR were heaps better than the Certis.

From what I've read, and from what I understand about silica in modern tyres (read new tyres brought to market in the last year or 3) the Michelin Energy XM1 is probably quite a good tyre. Can't give a review yet - but they are what will go on our C3 when (if?) it ever wears its tyres out.

Derek.

Tadpole

Default Michelin XM1

yup they are pretty bad... the certis was a failure and so they had to change to this pattern... still they are made in Thailand and suffer from the same problems as the certis.... plus these are tailored for the tropics and may not suit places like Tasmania, Victoria with period of cold weather (you will hear creaky sound especially in the morning before the warm up) as hence poor grip....

i sort of know as I am in Malaysia now and Micheline tried to sell this product here on a large scale but the reviews are pretty bad.... only RM650 for 4 tires (ie AUS250) for 185/R65/14..... the dealers are offer a huge trade discount to clear the stocks...

i prefer michelin either made in Japan or Germany or France. Spainish ones are slightly inferior...

nJm

Just wondering if anyone has tried this out yet?

After experiencing an interesting combination of understeer and oversteer within a few seconds of each other I've decided my Certis have to go this week

So it will be these new Energy XM1 or something like the Dunlop Grand Prix.

What is your fav 185/75R14 tyre
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

WLB

The Chinese MXTE put me off Michelin several years ago after sticking with them since the XAS in the '60s. I've been running Dunlop Le Mans and Bridgestone Potenza on the 505, but it's time for new tyres again and so I've been looking at the XM1. Not so sure yet, so still thinking.

Keep the info coming.

I did put XM1 Michellins on my 405 last august, and have been happy with them. Ride was noticeably softer compared to the GoodYear GA plus, I think they were, that were replaced. and handling improved. Wet driving certainly showed an improvement.

My wife's 306 will be getting a set before the winter sets in here as the original tyres on her car (Michelin MXV3A ) seemed to have hardened up and the roadholding deteriorated.

Decca

+
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I've got XM1's on my current 505 wagon and they are great. I've done quite a few k's on them now and cant fault them!

I had Certis on the last wagon and didnt really have a problem with them but they were nowhere near as good as the XM1.

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

nJm

Thanks for the opinions. I'll get a set put on my 505 this week. Looking forward to seeing what an improvement it will make over hardened, balding Certis (which did last 30,000km of hard driving).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Are you going to keep your 5" wheels on ? or did you end up with a set of 5.5's ?

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I'd will have to strongly retract my good comments on the certis from a few months ago.

They are absolute dogs in the wet!! (Certis) Hunks of S*&T!!!!!! For $142 a tyre I am really bloody pissed off, almost took out a baricade a week ago in sydney while going around a corner at about 30 in the wet. What's more is there is HEAPS of tread. No one in their right mind would change tyres with this much tread.... that is until you drive in the wet with them. Now too scared to drive in the wet.

XM1's this weekend. Seems like they are much better, unless anyone has a better suggestion??

nJm

I've kept my 14x5" wheels. Some of the 5.5 wheels were in pretty bad shape and would take a bit of work to make them balancable/round again! It is just easier to fit new tyres to my current wheels. So 185/75R14 it is.

I'm getting it done at Balwyn Tyre Service. They are charging $110 per tyre including fitting, balancing etc. They are also one of the few places in Melbourne that can actually balance 504/505GR wheels (recommended by my mechanic).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

nJm

Just got home from having the XM1's fitted.

Initial impressions are: much softer riding than the Certis, improved steering feel and less road noise. As they are brand new I haven't pushed them but I'll get back to you on that side of things in a week or two
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Thread Information