505 sII power steering leak!
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 sII power steering leak!

The steering rack in our 505 has sprung a major leak. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely yet, mrs HKP has the car at work but I know the leak is from the rack. If it is seals can I repair them myself or do I just get it reconditioned or replace it?

Advertisement

i had a pug 505 that had the same problem and i changed the rubber high presure hose and that fixed it it is a 17 mil spaner you can bye the hose from europe auto inprots in melb and check at the botem or resivor hose i had that come loose on mine to try to do up the hose clap

Default Leak in P/s Ram

I have tracked down the leak in the p/s in the 505. It is coming from the outer end of the ram, around the seal on the shaft. Is this a repairable item, or am I up for a new ram?
    Chris

The rams are a throw away item as far as I know, the seals are swaged in place and I'm not aware of them being repairable.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Quote Originally Posted by OddFireV6
    The rams are a throw away item as far as I know, the seals are swaged in place and I'm not aware of them being repairable.
    Thanx oddfire....
    At least I know now. I gues I'll have to make a call or 2 tomorrow.
    Will give me a chance to re-do the front end bushes also. It'll be like driving a new car I hope.
    Cheers Chris

What's happening with your power steering? I've got a similar problem and I'm wondering if you have or are going to replace it yourself and how much it was for the rack

Quote Originally Posted by sajica.au
    What's happening with your power steering? I've got a similar problem and I'm wondering if you have or are going to replace it yourself and how much it was for the rack
    Hi sajica,
    I have to replace the Ram only, no leaks from anywhere else. A new ram is in the range of $280 sI'll be replacing it shortly, when finances allow. I have bled the system and put Lucas power steering stop leak in in place of fluid. They gaurentee it won't leak and I have to agree, with the amount of effort it took to get it all out of the bottle. It is so thick it would never run out of any leak spots

Icon7

thanks HKP

I rang a place here in perth and was told the racks he had where sent to the scrappers, but he sells a kit for the power steering head for around $30, and a high pressure return pipe for $127

I'll have to get under the car for a closer look, I hope it's the pipe and not the ram, and definately not both, otherwise, I'll be trying to scrape some money together

just checking the correct term is ram and not rack, rack sounds like the whole steering setup to me (tie rods and radius arms)?

Quote Originally Posted by sajica.au
    thanks HKP

I rang a place here in perth and was told the racks he had where sent to the scrappers, but he sells a kit for the power steering head for around $30, and a high pressure return pipe for $127

I'll have to get under the car for a closer look, I hope it's the pipe and not the ram, and definately not both, otherwise, I'll be trying to scrape some money together

just checking the correct term is ram and not rack, rack sounds like the whole steering setup to me (tie rods and radius arms)?
    sajica...the 'ram' is the shock-absorber looking thing slightly above and behind the sttering rack. It is the bit that assists the steering and makes it lighter due to the fluid delivered to it by the pump.
    Chris

Thread Information