Auto Diagnostic Warning Light - Mi16
  • Register
  • Help
    Cal

Default Auto Diagnostic Warning Light - Mi16

After changing the alternator on the Mi16 over the weekend, I degreased the engine. While hosing it off I have obviously got water somewhere I souldn't have. I was not running properly Sunday afternoon, but Monday it was okay. It was still missing a little now and again. Yesterday was the same. This morning half way to work it starts running on 2 cylinders, sometimes maybe 1. I thought it was going to stop on the freeway,, so I pulled into an emergency lane. I unplugged the battery, the airflow meter and another major electrical plug. Cleaned inside them a little bit and plugged it all back in. No change, so I checked the plug leads at the distributor and plugged them back in. Still running like crap. I decided to see if I could make it to work. At this point the "Auto Diagnostic Warning Light" came one. It only stayed on for a minute though. I limped to work keeping the revs up. Any idea what else to look at? I have left the battery disconnected to wipe the short term ECU memory or whatever you call it. Please help.

Cheers,

Cal.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Cal; 4th August 2004 at 10:20 AM.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

sounds like you have got water in the dizzy cap, or water in the spark plug holes. have you checked these ?
    ......... also, check the block connector to the coil
    ....... to infinity aaand beyonddddddd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours is the series one with the coil & distributer set up isn't it?

If so remove the small plug that has the small wires (4 off I think) and spray out with WD40. Then wash the WD off with petrol & blow dry. Also do a complete wash over using the same thing as above on the entire coil with the leads out and be sure to wash the inside of the flat socket as well as the HT lead.
    The flat plug is the power supply and contains + as well as - pole wires so following a washing, you can often get a situation where the HT lead will short to earth via the - terminals on the power supply plug.
    I'll PM you my phone numbers; if all else fails; ring.
    Don't panic about the K light popping on for a while; that's par for the course as soon as a problem like this arises.
    If you have a coded radio, I trust you know your PIN number seeing as you've disconnected the battery.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

On this note, unfortunately I have no pearls of wisdom to present, but what is the proper procedure to degrease/clean your engine without doing some serious damage? Is it more risky on diesels? considering they loathe water? and what about all those electrical connections?

Good luck to fixing the problem Cal. hope it is not too serious.

Cal

I've got no doubt it's something simple. I certainly feels like water in plug leads or the dizzy. I just need to get more WD40 everywhere. I sprayed a few connections on Sunday, but obviously not the right ones. Seems strange the water is still there Wednesday.

I'll call you soon Alan. I'm the only one in the office at the moment and I have to answer the phone.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

This is why you need to also wash the WD off in certain instances.

BTW, when you call, remember I'm on acres so let the landline ring a while so I can get to it...if I'm here

Alan S

Cal

It was almost certainly water in the plug leads. I sprayed WD40 down there are lunch time. There was a fair bit of moisture in there. Runs 100% now. I was just a little certained about the warning light. But i suppose all it is saying is "help I'm sick". Thanks for the advice guys.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    On this note, unfortunately I have no pearls of wisdom to present, but what is the proper procedure to degrease/clean your engine without doing some serious damage? Is it more risky on diesels? considering they loathe water? and what about all those electrical connections?

I'd frighten $#!+ out of you if you ever saw me doing it.
    Diesels, no probs as they don't have an ignition system to worry about, just use glad bags to cover the sensors and switches and use plenty of WD when/if lights start popping on & off.
    It's best to do it on a weekend though & give it a run immediately afterwards so you don't get caught on the way to work....hey Cal

Alan S

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It's best to do it on a weekend though & give it a run immediately afterwards so you don't get caught on the way to work....hey Cal
    I moved straight onto the rear brakes on the MX5 after the Pug on Sunday. No time to WD40 then. I had to make time for a few beers on the deck at the local before sun down too.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]

the only time you need to really worry about water with a diesel is if it inhales some

they tend to bend rods and become a very expensive item to repair if they are allowed to inhale water

this is the reason why you see real 4WD's with air snorkels way up in the air to prevent water from bieng sucked up into the engine intake
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the only time you need to really worry about water with a diesel is if it inhales some

they tend to bend rods and become a very expensive item to repair if they are allowed to inhale water

this is the reason why you see real 4WD's with air snorkels way up in the air to prevent water from bieng sucked up into the engine intake
    Yeah, knew a guy who got water in his diesel engine ruined everything, have never seen such a big and tough looking guy reduced to tears like that. It was almost heart breaking. Thats why I am scared to wash mine out.

One mechanic told me to use a steam cleaner, but I thought that the steam might get through cracks that water might not. Guess I'm just paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

..........................although most people who drive them wouldn't realise that, after all, it's not all that often that suburban streets get that much water on them!!

Alan S

Thread Information