how do you tell betwen a ba10 6v gearbox and a ba10 4 cilander
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 how do you tell betwen a ba10 6v gearbox and a ba10 4 cilander

i just picked up a ba10 for the 505 v6 turbo i am building and i am not shore shore how to tell if it is the ba10 that fits the v6 b28 motor or not because i know there is 2 types and i am not shore how to tell can some one tell me please

Advertisement

From what I know the Ba 10 4 & 5 speeds can be used behind the V6. I think the 604,s may have even had the 4 speeds.

Its the Ba 7 boxes that you can't use behind them.

These motors are great with a manual box behind them.

BTW what are you putting the motor into

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Fellow Frogger!

Bellhousings and input shafts vary between the V6, diesel, 2.2 STI/GTI and the 2 litre carby. The bell housing is the easiest way to check but apart from telling between the 2.2 and 2 litres I can't help. The 2 litre has 3 large bolts to hold the bellhousing to the motor whilst the 2.2 uses a number of slightly smaller bolts.

The likelihood of the box being for a V6 is low unless someone brought it in to the country for that purpose.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Jim

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the BA10 V6 box has a larger input shaft but the 4 cyl one can be used behind the V6 as the only thing that is different is the input shaft

2.2 STI/GTI didn't have a BA10 box behind them unless it came out of a tagora of which we didn't get here

604's did come out with 4 speeds to start with and then the 5 speed arrived on the scene with the turbo diesel and the fuel injected 604's

the clutch plate for the 604 is bigger than the 505 one but for normal driving i have used a BA10/5 from a 505 with a 505 clutch in a 604 and it worked fine (hell i even towed with it) but once you have a worn out 505 clutch any clutch and brake place should be able to use the centre to make up what ever size plate you need for the car

Robert C in Vic i think runs a ford pressure plate as well in one of his cars from what i could gather last time i was talking to him last year
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

The bolt pattern on the bellhousing is also different, 'rambo...

The 2-litre, as noted above, has a 3-bolt fixing and a 2-bolt starter. The diesel has a 3-bot fixing and a 3-bolt starter too.

The V6 has a 4-bolt fixing and a 3-bolt starter.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the BA10 V6 box has a larger input shaft but the 4 cyl one can be used behind the V6 as the only thing that is different is the input shaft

2.2 STI/GTI didn't have a BA10 box behind them unless it came out of a tagora of which we didn't get here

604's did come out with 4 speeds to start with and then the 5 speed arrived on the scene with the turbo diesel and the fuel injected 604's

the clutch plate for the 604 is bigger than the 505 one but for normal driving i have used a BA10/5 from a 505 with a 505 clutch in a 604 and it worked fine (hell i even towed with it) but once you have a worn out 505 clutch any clutch and brake place should be able to use the centre to make up what ever size plate you need for the car

Robert C in Vic i think runs a ford pressure plate as well in one of his cars from what i could gather last time i was talking to him last year

European 2 litre STIs had the BA10 box.
    I've tried getting a clutch plate made with the old centre and BGT here in Melbourne assured me it can't be done, unless you want a solid centre, OK for competition I guess.
    Recently I imported (for Richard Davies B280 engined 505 rally car) the only clutch plate available for the V6, a later version which is slightly bigger. Now this doesn't fit a BA10/4 spline so either they sent us the wrong one or the late and early V6s had different splines!!!
    Believe me, V6 clutches are a real problem at the moment.

Graham Wallis

Thread Information