205 gti fuel consumption ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 205 gti fuel consumption ?

Hey there.. trying to figure out what kind of fuel consumtion i can expect from my series 2 205 gti. it is mainly suburban commuting, and currently i think i am getting about 380 - 400 Kms per full tank.. i think that is a bit rich. the tank holds around 50L ( right ? ).. I dont want to run it dry to find the limit but it would be good to know what other drivers out there are getting, and what I should expect.. oh btw I only use premium 98 RON.

D

Advertisement
    Delan
    90' 205 gti

City cycle is something like 13.5 or 14 man...

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    City cycle is something like 13.5 or 14 man...

I haven't checked the current car but I used to get around 10 to 11 litre per 100 around town in the previous car 12 years ago. This was only a five year old car, of course.
    There's no reason these cars should be thirsty, they're not a high performance engine. If the Mega Squirt ECU works OK on the 505 I'll be fitting one to the GTI, getting rid of the obsolete L Jetronic should give gains in both power and economy.

Graham Wallis

That's if u don't rev it past 3 grand....

Quote Originally Posted by Delan
    Hey there.. trying to figure out what kind of fuel consumtion i can expect from my series 2 205 gti. it is mainly suburban commuting, and currently i think i am getting about 380 - 400 Kms per full tank.. i think that is a bit rich. the tank holds around 50L ( right ? ).. I dont want to run it dry to find the limit but it would be good to know what other drivers out there are getting, and what I should expect.. oh btw I only use premium 98 RON.

D
    I've got a series 1 205 GTi. Below is what I get for:

City
    Unleaded city = 10.5 km per litre
    Optimax city = 11.5 km per litre

Country
    Optimax = 12.8 km per litre.. (that is sitting on 4000rpm for 120 km/h)

I.e I get to around 450 km per tank then I think about filling up... unless it is thursday which seems to be the cheap day in Sydney at the moment.

Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

i guess my car is not drinking all that much then

but geez it is shocking fuel consumption for a 1.9L 900 odd kg little car !

but a hoot to drive none the less... was just asking as i was concerned that it was burning extra fuel than it was supposed to... Thanx !
    Delan
    90' 205 gti

VIP Sponsor

i guess my car is not drinking all that much then

but geez it is shocking fuel consumption for a 1.9L 900 odd kg little car !

but a hoot to drive none the less... was just asking as i was concerned that it was burning extra fuel than it was supposed to... Thanx !

Except that Justin's car seems to be getting excellent economy, note that his figures are in km/litre.

Graham

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Yeah, if you drive the 205GTi hard, it drinks fuel at a copious rate. Drive it kindly and you tend to go much much further....but I mean,like, ridiculously so.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

I am getting around 400km per tank if I drive normally.

Use the nitrous or race it and forget about it.

But 400km from a tank from my car I am extremely happy with.

D
    can anyone tell me what capacity the 205 gti tank is,i never seem to be able to get more than about 38-40 litres in when my low fuel warning light comes on.according to handbook ther is only supposed to be 3-5 ltr? in the tank when warning light comes on,it flashes first and then stays on or the other way round, [i dont make a habit of running the tank low]i think the gauge is probably out a bit,any thoughts on this?-BAZZ

We discussed this ages ago, but the info was lost in the database crash earlier this year. I had the same issue and I asked everyone on here. The tank is 50L, but my gauge will read empty at about 35 liters, but my light doesn't come one. I think it's just a Peugeot thing, but check the sender unit to be sure. I go off the km's anyway.

When I drive around leisurely, with only the odd 4500rpm boot, I regularly get to up above 480km, once to 507km, on the one tank. I have never run out, in fact my light has never come on, although I'm now pretty sure it's stuffed. The Canberra driving might have somehting to do with it, lots of long stretches at 80-100kph. It's kind of pseudo-highway I guess.

I swear the book says 9l/100km city and 6l/100km for highway or am I thinking of the Pirius?!?! Either way, I am happier now than when I drove an XR8 around. A whole week not revving past 2000rpm and the best I could do was 12l/100km. I even rolled it down big hills.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    can anyone tell me what capacity the 205 gti tank is,i never seem to be able to get more than about 38-40 litres in when my low fuel warning light comes on.according to handbook ther is only supposed to be 3-5 ltr? in the tank when warning light comes on,it flashes first and then stays on or the other way round, [i dont make a habit of running the tank low]i think the gauge is probably out a bit,any thoughts on this?-BAZZ
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

Fellow Frogger!

I regulary get 470km - 485km out of the tank in my 92' 205 and it does not matter whether I am giving it a boot full or driving sedately I am using a Neo fuel additive that's been discussed on here before, it is not an octane booster just a cleaner makes the car run a lot smoother. The best I got was a highway trip and i got about 525km out of the tank, I am pretty happy with the economy of my Pug...
    05' Megane 225 Cup

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pugsy
    I regulary get 470km - 485km out of the tank in my 92' 205 and it does not matter whether I am giving it a boot full or driving sedately I am using a Neo fuel additive that's been discussed on here before, it is not an octane booster just a cleaner makes the car run a lot smoother. The best I got was a highway trip and i got about 525km out of the tank, I am pretty happy with the economy of my Pug...

The 92 model has higher compression and Motronic engine management so should do a lot better for economy than the earlier cars.

Graham Wallis

I'm lucky to get 320km from my 87 GTi, mainly city driving.
    Does the early have a 40L or 50L tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    me too, my reserve light comes on at 320km without fail, but I pretend it's a group B rally car and drive it flat out everywhere...

i've never been able to put more then about 40l in the fuel tank of my car from empty... also the average fuel usuage of my car is about 400-450km's per tank... EDIT: then again my car isn't even a GTI nor is it a 1.9 so why am i responding to this?
    Last edited by orestes; 4th August 2004 at 11:30 AM.

52l isn't it?

Well on the highway its fantastic eh? I did 400kms down to hobart and back on 32l of premium. Round the city, I get about 70-80kms on 10l. I'm not complaining, because I don't drive exactly sedately (I don't thrash it, but it'd see 5krpm on a few changes), its mildly worked, and I'm used to getting 350kms on 72l in the old volvo!

Nick

I'm pretty sure the tank is about 50 - 52 L.. i say this as my manual says 50L.. but i once ran the car pretty much dry and filled up 49L..
    Ive had back wash filling her up a couple of times as well.

I used the neo additive for a while, but keep forgetting to add it in before I fill up in the 205. I use it pretty regular in the 206 tho'.

So by the looks of it, I think I'm one of those 400 Km per tank drivers like those listed above. oh well..

Hey does anyone else have intermittent rough idle trouble.. sometimes at traffic lights it revs up to 1050rpm and them back down to 550, then back up and then down, so on an so forth.. then it will settle around 750-800 ?
    Delan
    90' 205 gti

Graham,

A combination of replacing the vac advance unit, airfilter, spark plugs and most importantly Redline S2 fuel line / injection cleaner...

When I first got the car I was pushing 9.8 Litres per km.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Except that Justin's car seems to be getting excellent economy, note that his figures are in km/litre.

Graham

Baz,

50L.. I've squeezed 46 litres into it once.. the guy at the servo flipped out thinking that he punched up the wrong pump... (i.e. 46 litres in that little thing is a loose, family based, translation).

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti

Andreas,

THey all had 50Litres from my understanding.. I have an 87 205 GTI.... best way is to fill up the car and reset the trip meter.

Next time you fill up, take the distance travelled and divide by the litres needed to refill.

I.e 500 km / 50 litres = 10 k's per litre....

I know Justin, but even when i've run out of petrol I haven't been able to get more than 38L in.

Hey guys,

My Bx has the 1.9L engine and the 50L fuel tank. No matter how hard you try to run out of petrol there is always 5-10L hiding in there somewhere. Every time i fill up these days i get 42-43L in (right after the petrol light starts to flash on). I got 440k's out of my 43L used this week (city driving) so thats just under 10L per 100k's, so even with an extra hundred kilos and a big cam it seems i dont guzzle much more than your 205's.

Dave

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Hey guys,

My Bx has the 1.9L engine and the 50L fuel tank. No matter how hard you try to run out of petrol there is always 5-10L hiding in there somewhere. Every time i fill up these days i get 42-43L in (right after the petrol light starts to flash on). I got 440k's out of my 43L used this week (city driving) so thats just under 10L per 100k's, so even with an extra hundred kilos and a big cam it seems i dont guzzle much more than your 205's.

Dave
    A fair bit less looking at these figures.

Graham

I can't understand why the 205's are getting such bad fuel consumption, our bx's have always been really fuel efficient. My car is running the same compression as a euro 16V now, but the consumption was much the same with the old head, and only 8.4:1 compression (used to have complete DFZ, now have DFZ with DKZ head).

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information