405... help!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405... help!!!

Default 405... help!!!

hey i got a problem with my 92 405 sri, most of the time when i go round corners with any speed at all and any more than a little movement in the steeringwheel all the warning and stop lights come one, um anyone had this happen, or know what it could be?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Does the motor cut out??

Fellow Frogger!

Its the rubbish French electrics, Sounds like there is a lose conection somewhere.

Check all the fluid levels first, Because just a slight drop can make the dash light up like a xmas tree.

Ive had this happen on 2 405s before & it was just dirty electrical connections.

Check your earth points on the body because these give problems & if you have those stupid plug in earths cut them off, Crimp a ring terminal on & solder the connection too & use a serated washer to bite into the metal when you put it back.

You can use the 10mm bolt that held the earth terminals fingers to the bodyshell to reattach your new ring terminal ends.

Im not sure what year that they started fitting these but the 3 stupid round connectors behind the passenger side head light give trouble too, Why did Peugeot & Citroen use 2 sets of male connectors?
    Anyway, Clean the terminals & bend them gently to make good contact again.
    Those plug can screw up the imobiliser ( Which you lot never got down under ) when they get dirty.

Do you have a Haynes book or similar? All the earth points are listed in there.
    If you dont, just come back & ask.

nah i dont have the book, so im back and asking, think it might be the earth points, cause i just got a reco engine in it, and it never happend before

check the oil level.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    check the oil level.
    I agree with this, two of our bx's had the same problem as they ate a bit of oil.
    Its actually quite a handy warning that you need to top it up.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Its actually quite a handy warning that you need to top it up.

Dave
    In my case, not so much a warning as a "you're a moron" indicator.... mine only does that when there's less than 1litre in the sump. Ask me not how I know.....
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    In my case, not so much a warning as a "you're a moron" indicator.... mine only does that when there's less than 1litre in the sump. Ask me not how I know.....
    Well its kind of a late warning as by the time it does it, the oil is too low to show on the dipstick.
    I'm lucky my Bx doesn't use a drop of oil Yay for me!

Dave

Fellow Frogger!

Ill just stick to the level gauge Peugeot fitted on the dash display.

Have you got a series 1 or 2 405?

Anyway the earth point are located at the following points for series 2 cars, if yours is a series 1 they should be similar, but I can always dig the book out again.

1x behind each headlamp
    1x on the top of the gearbox that also fixes underneath the battery tray
    1x next to the windscreen wiper motor
    2x in the scuttle underneath the heater intake & ECU
    1x at the bottom of each A pillar behind the plastic trim
    1x buired up in the dash above the glovebox, Nasty plug in type!
    1x behind the C pillar trim on the drivers side
    1x behind the plastic trim in the boot on the back panel
    3x big round connectors with lots of wires in them behind the passenger side head lamp where the wiring joins up, These fail & screw the Keypad imobiliser up ( which you lot never got )

Fellow Frogger!

agree with the earlier comment. check the fluid levels.
    mine used to do this and the engine would cut out. this was not due to fluid, but a little sensor (not sure what it is off hand) mounted under a bracket coming off the top of the radiator. it was a 3-bolt-and-a-plug-job. plus $40 or so. to test it, have the car at idle and give the top of the bracket a slight tap with something, i used a screwdriver handle.

Fellow Frogger!

Thats the MAP sensor on that bracket.

ok, this has to be the dumbest question ever... but where do u put the oil in on the 405 engine? i cant seem to find anywhere, maybe im dumb, but i better ask anyways

dbc

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_405
    hey i got a problem with my 92 405 sri, most of the time when i go round corners with any speed at all and any more than a little movement in the steeringwheel all the warning and stop lights come one, um anyone had this happen, or know what it could be?
    I had a similar problem, though perhaps more intermittent. My problem usually occured when I turned on the air-conditioner. Soon after, the engine coolant level warning light and the stop light would come on. It turned out to be a faulty earth connection. So I would agree with LeePower's reply - check the earth points. The electrics on the 405 are notoriosly bad.

It can't hurt to check the fluid levels as well (do this first as this may be the quickest and easiest fix), but if the problem persists follow LeePower's advice and check the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_405
    ok, this has to be the dumbest question ever... but where do u put the oil in on the 405 engine? i cant seem to find anywhere, maybe im dumb, but i better ask anyways
    Look in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owners manual, there was a previous post on AF that provided a ftp link to the Haynes workshop manual for the 405.

Pug Parts CD and Haynes Manual

It may have been taken off the site, for copyright reasons. I have it. If you want a copy, send me a PM.
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

Fellow Frogger!

The oil on a series 1 405 SRI with the XU9J2 lump goes in the little black plastic cap thats a right sod to get off with 2 pipes joined on to it located in the middle of the alloy inlet manafold & the cap had an Esso sticker on it when it left the factory.
    If the metal gauze is still fitted in the cap you should remove it, because this causes running problems.

On a series 2 SRI with the XU10J2 lump, The cap is located on the Plastic rocker cover box to the left & has a little picture of an oil can in red, Just twist it off & make sure you twist it back on correctly.

Thread Information