407 Driven
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 407 Driven

Icon1 407 Driven

Thought I would (belatedly) share my experiences driving a 407 demo last Saturday, 24th July. This was the day after the NZ launch, and our dealer had 4 available - 2 V6 6-speed autos, a 2.2 6-spd manual and a 2.2 4-spd auto.

I drove the 2.2 6-spd manual. There is actually no visual differentiation from the V6, because the NZ spec of the 2.2 is very high - including the 17-inch alloys, excellent sound system with CD changer and cruise control (dealer told me the Aus base spec will be with 16-inch wheels and no CD changer).

Very impressed with the drive. Despite having less than 200km on the clock, it was very responsive and performed well, yet was still very quiet and refined. I also found it to be very comfortable, seats were excellent, and the quality of the cabin materials a real cut above all previous Peugeots. Even my 9-months-pregnant wife thought it was comfortable (our son was born 24 hours later so obviously he was impressed too).

On the fairly tight, twisty and bumpy roads around the Wellington bays, it seemed to handle and ride very well, though I did not have the opportunity to really push it. Also very easy to drive, although it feels a much bigger car than a 406. Gear selection was excellent, much lighter and slicker than my GTI6, but with a similar feel.

In fact, I drove it back to back with a 406 2.2 ST-S (same engine) on the same roads, and as much as I like the 406, there was really no comparison, with the 407 feeling far smoother, more refined and easy to drive, although it does lack the nice induction sound and exhaust note of the 2.2 406.

All in all, this base model 407 seems pretty good value at NZ$48k, although I don't think they need to try too hard to sell them at the moment, the trade-in offer for my immaculate 99 GTI6 with only 30,000kms being something between an insult and a joke. Looks like we'll be trying to fit the baby seat into the GTI6 after all !

cheers
    Mark

Advertisement

Tadpole

I was pretty disappointed to learn that the V6 407 won't be available as a manual. I think I will be keeping my (manual) 406 SV for some time...

nJm

The V6 407 has electronically controlled dampeners (like in the 607) which have been heavily criticised. They give worse ride and handling than the standard setup in the 4 cylinder models. Apparently the pick of the bunch is the 2.2L HDi.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for the review! Nice to hear.

How do you find the 6 around Wellington? I'd imagine that up Mount Victoria (I think that's the mountain), would be a challenge in the 6! Lots of handbrakes corners?

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by gtisinz
    Thought I would (belatedly) share my experiences driving a 407 demo last Saturday, 24th July.
    Photo's ??

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by gtisinz

(our son was born 24 hours later so obviously he was impressed too).

cheers
    Mark
    either that or the ride was really harsh and bumpy.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

will there be a coupe model?

Fellow Frogger!

There is a Coupe model in the pipeline.

Just wait untill the 407 2.7 V6 HDI twin turbo diesel in launched

Peugeot performance diesels are very very good