Change of Hubs on 505
  • Register
  • Help

Default Change of Hubs on 505

had a search for "Hub" and hubs.. and found lots of interetsing stuff but nothing i was looking for..

im having difficulty finding a machinest willing to cut apart my Pug Metric wheels and weld them to Nissan ones woudl you believe.. No one wanst to do it.. One enginere simple asked weather i tired to fit differnt hubs...

and i had to stare right back at him and go.. welll no..

Um.. Why havent I.. lol Anyone changed teh hubs on there 505 / 04 i geus to anything with a semmi reasonablle PCD?? like 4 By 100

Advertisement

bring on my asian wheels.. and cheap tyres..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

This possibility might interest you.

http://www.pcug.org.au/~mcnamee/pac/...5trxwheels.htm
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Easy to change the front ones... or relatively so... but the rear is another story...

Fellow Frogger!

Most people tossed away the metric wheels years ago, I've got a set acting as a shelf in the shed.

The best thing to do, and probabloy the cheapest, is to get a set of 14 or 15 inch wheels. Occasionally they come up on here, Aunger Classics or the standard pug ones (someone has some off a 505 wagon for sale in Bundaburg?). You'll buy a set for a fcouple of hundred $ and my experience has been you can't get much done to an existing wheel, even serious straightening, for less that $60 or 80.

Whilst it is theoretically possible to alter the stud pattern pug caliphers are very deep and you will have trouble finding wheels with enough room.

Cheers

Jim

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug303
    Most people tossed away the metric wheels years ago, I've got a set acting as a shelf in the shed.

The best thing to do, and probabloy the cheapest, is to get a set of 14 or 15 inch wheels. Occasionally they come up on here, Aunger Classics or the standard pug ones (someone has some off a 505 wagon for sale in Bundaburg?). You'll buy a set for a fcouple of hundred $ and my experience has been you can't get much done to an existing wheel, even serious straightening, for less that $60 or 80.

Whilst it is theoretically possible to alter the stud pattern pug caliphers are very deep and you will have trouble finding wheels with enough room.

Cheers

Jim
    I've seen a set of adaptor plates to allow Commodore wheels to be fitted.

Graham Wallis

One (or was it more?) of the Peugeot-L forum guys made adaptors (in plural...) to fit some Honda wheels...

If ten or twelve people got together, it would be possible to order a batch of 15" wheels from one of the makers at a reasonable rate.

Graham, have you ever looked at the possibility of adapting Datsun 200B SX wheels? They have just enough room on the boss for the bolt pattern, need a minor machine out of the centre hole and are 6" wide. I don't think there would be a caliper clearance problem with them, but I never checked.

If you want I can check it out... I have three sets of them.

nJm

I could be wrong, but isn't it illegal to modify the stud pattern in Australia?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I think welding and heating suspension parts is illegal...

I like the sound of adapters to convert to a more common stud pattern, and surely it would make the most sense to go Commodore/E-series or A-series Falcon; there is no shortage of wheels available and I reckon even standard "interceptor" rims would look pretty good on a 504.
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

nJm

So these adaptors slot over the old studs?

As cool as it all sounds, I'm not sure that VicRoads would approve. Getting a RWC can be pretty hard these days.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

and I reckon even standard "interceptor" rims would look pretty good on a 504.
    indeed..

As cool as it all sounds, I'm not sure that VicRoads would approve. Getting a RWC can be pretty hard these days
    Anything can be approved with an engineers pen stroke... But why woudl you bother.. no Copa, RTA offical is going to pull you over and go.. Hmmm that 5stud pattern seems a bit larger then the factory PCD of 114.. I mean.. we are lucky in a sence we have a passion for perhaps in some regard's older french vechiles that dont attrack attention from anyone bar other french vechile drivers.

Dont tell them and no one will no... or care for that matter.. Its realy not an obvious modication whilst the wheels are on..

Stop Being a Prun and go get some with a set of Chassers!!
    Last edited by bowie; 7th August 2004 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammer

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    indeed..

Anything can be approved with an engineers pen stroke... But why woudl you bother.. no Copa, RTA offical is going to pull you over and go.. Hmmm that 5stud pattern seems a bit larger then the factory PCD of 114..

Dont tell them and no one will no... or care for that matter.. Its realy not an obvious modication whilst the wheels are on..

Stop Being a Prun and go get some with a set of Chassers!!
    Except of course if you were to hit a car, writing off the 70k vehicle and seriously hurting the people in the car with big $$ hostpital bills and compensation. The insurance company would have an easy out and say your on your own bud. An engineers cert while seemingly expensive can sure save a hell of a lot of hassles in the future.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Except of course if you were to hit a car, writing off the 70k vehicle and seriously hurting the people in the car with big $$ hostpital bills and compensation. The insurance company would have an easy out and say your on your own bud. An engineers cert while seemingly expensive can sure save a hell of a lot of hassles in the future.
    The other relevent point is you want to know without doubt that the modification you have done is mechanically up to to the task. Even if you dont crash into or hurt anyone you dont want want a wheel coming off under any circumstances. The loads on hubs and wheel studs increase significantly with bigger rims, wider tyres and wider offsets

Jarrod

Going to Falcon or Holden rims would be a poor choice, IMO.

Getting a spacer made that transforms 4-stud to 5-stud is difficult enough, getting one that looks okay and will pass muster is another issue.

4-stud is the way to go... there's plenty of wheels out there with it, after all.

Except of course if you were to hit a car,.. .. ..
    Well yes if that is a concern get tha bit of paper..

mrd

I Have Adapters to suit commodore studd pattern, no caliper issues!

I've had a wheel come off and it is not exactly fun, especially when the car lurches violently to the left as you are approaching a bridge. I missed the bridge railing but I am not quite sure how I reacted fast enough. Most likely down to learning to drive on rough gravel roads sharpening my reflexes but it was still too close and not something I wish to repeat.

For goodness sake be carefull with adapters and such like and make damn sure that it is quite safe. If it had been my right wheel coming off in traffic I would have been in a head-on that I couldn't avoid which is a horrifying thought. Probably best to stick with revised hubs unless you get an expert opinion from a good engineer.

4 stud patterns are pretty easy to redrill to suit another 4 stud pattern, just rotate the holes by 45% but that is something to be careful of too. If the brake disc is seperate from the hub, then it should be fine. There are plenty of vehicles with 8 stud holes in the hubs, but if it is a one piece unit then I would strongly advise that you do it only to a brand new disc. Once a brake disc has been repeatedly heated and cooled they can develop lines of stress in them, and if you were to drill through or near a stress point you could possibly get a cracked disc. The possibility is only low, but it is not something I would like to happen so I would only drill extra holes in a new disc
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

WLB

If you use adapters or machine the rims, nobody is ever likely to know. But if something goes wrong, the insurance company won't want to know either, unless you've got the right paperwork, and they've been told.

WB

Thread Information