So, what do you think? (S16 gurus.)
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member DanS16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    107

    Default So, what do you think? (S16 gurus.)

    Hi Guys & Gals,

    Been lurking for a week or so doing some research on S16's and thought it was about time i said hello..

    Im currently looking at an N3 S16 (95) with 129k and FSH.
    Looked over the car this w/e, and from what i could tell;
    the coil packs were ok (one replaced at 124k),
    the diaphrams working well (reved it and the actuators moved and returned back to position)
    Rotors and pads in good condition
    Eclecrtic window motors worked well
    Timing belt replaced at 80k and at 125k (he had it replaced according to yrs not kms)
    Shocks all originall from what i can tell, still felt firm

    Advertisement


    The only major thing i could find was the air con blowed hot air. He said he had it regassed the other week and seemed suprised it wasnt working. Hes checking it out. I believe this can be a costly (1500 fitted) problem to fix?

    So, anything else i should check? Hes asking $9500, with next to no rego. From taking it for a drive it felt tight and responsive.
    Sound a good buy?

    Any responses would be greatly appreciated, they're hard to find in SA!

    Cheers
    Dan
    (hopefully soon an S16 commorade..)

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Hi Guys & Gals,

    Been lurking for a week or so doing some research on S16's and thought it was about time i said hello..

    Im currently looking at an N3 S16 (95) with 129k and FSH.
    Looked over the car this w/e, and from what i could tell;
    the coil packs were ok (one replaced at 124k),
    the diaphrams working well (reved it and the actuators moved and returned back to position)
    Rotors and pads in good condition
    Eclecrtic window motors worked well
    Timing belt replaced at 80k and at 125k (he had it replaced according to yrs not kms)
    Shocks all originall from what i can tell, still felt firm

    The only major thing i could find was the air con blowed hot air. He said he had it regassed the other week and seemed suprised it wasnt working. Hes checking it out. I believe this can be a costly (1500 fitted) problem to fix?

    So, anything else i should check? Hes asking $9500, with next to no rego. From taking it for a drive it felt tight and responsive.
    Sound a good buy?

    Any responses would be greatly appreciated, they're hard to find in SA!

    Cheers
    Dan
    (hopefully soon an S16 commorade..)
    Welcome to AF!
    From seeing a few S16 ads around and having a mate at work recently buy one as well, that sounds like a good buy. As long as it's been serviced properly, and definitely get it checked out by an independant pug mechanic. If it's been in a major accident, stay away.

    edit: I just noticed you're also from Adelaide. Get the car checked out by either Charles st Auto or Lion Autos, both pug specialists. If they find a lot of minor things, don't be put off, just have a talk to the mechanic and get his view. Minor things he finds can be used to possibly bring the price further down, though at $9500, that's already a very good price.

    If you do get the car, let me know. We have quite a few froggy owners from Adelaide and we organise days out for a (non-AF affiliated) drive through the hills, if you want to join us.

    cheers,
    Jude
    Last edited by jastanis; 2nd August 2004 at 12:29 PM.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  3. #3
    Member DanS16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    107

    Default Temp

    One more quick question;
    what sort of temp range do these cars usually run at? 90deg?

  4. #4
    Member DanS16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Thanks Jastanis,

    The log book has been stamped at all required services so i hope its all good. Not much paper work, although will try calling the Pug specialist where its been taken too.
    Originally it was from QLD and then brought down to an Adelaide Pug dealer a few years back.
    The paint is a little tired but im assuming it will respond to a wax ok.

    Did they all come with remote c/l? This one has an aftermarket alrm/immobaliser fitted and as a result the beeper is used to operate the alarm , not open/close the car. Can originals be sorced or will i have to keep using the key? (like to keep the alarm)

    edit: Thanks for the offer, will hopefully take you up on a cruise if i get her. Ill prolly be taking it to Taylors as they've been servicing it. Good to know of those other too. Ta
    Last edited by DanS16; 2nd August 2004 at 12:38 PM.

  5. #5
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    One more quick question;
    what sort of temp range do these cars usually run at? 90deg?
    It should run between 90 and 110. Running full sythetic oil anda good quality coolant will ensure it stays around 90 more often that not.

    The car sounds good, but make sure about the AC, it's a very exxy thing to fix.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bowral, NSW
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Hey Dan!

    While not being an expert, I looked at a few S16's before buying my 205. To me this price seems very (possibly suspiciously) reasonable. Engine seems fine from what you've told us, but I would pay extra attention to bodywork; look at the car from every angle you can in direct sunlight to look for dodgy paintwork, possibly indicating a repair job. I almost bought a black 306 after about an hour of inspection, only finally to notice that at a certain angle it was obvious that it'd been pranged in the side and fixed up. Sure, it would prob have been fine but, well, i'd prefer to pay for a car without a bad history. You've prob thought of this stuff but there's my advice
    Best of luck. Tom.
    White S3 205 GTi

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Thanks Jastanis,

    The log book has been stamped at all required services so i hope its all good. Not much paper work, although will try calling the Pug specialist where its been taken too.
    Originally it was from QLD and then brought down to an Adelaide Pug dealer a few years back.
    The paint is a little tired but im assuming it will respond to a wax ok.

    Did they all come with remote c/l? This one has an aftermarket alrm/immobaliser fitted and as a result the beeper is used to operate the alarm , not open/close the car. Can originals be sorced or will i have to keep using the key? (like to keep the alarm)

    edit: Thanks for the offer, will hopefully take you up on a cruise if i get her. Ill prolly be taking it to Taylors as they've been servicing it. Good to know of those other too. Ta
    By Adelaide pug dealer, you mean Taylors right? They're the only one as far as I know.

    I don't know with the S16's key (can find out tomorrow from my workmate) but the gti6 has a master key with a button on it which does the c/l. A second key comes with the car which doesn't have a button on it. So maybe you just need to get a master key. Alternatively I'm sure it is possible to code the c/l function onto your current beeper for the alarm/immobiliser.

    btw are you getting Taylors to do the pre-purchase inspection?
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

  8. #8
    Member DanS16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Thanks for all your respones..

    Clandestino; i did check exterior panel work briefly in sunlight (its black) and all looked striaight. When i go back for a second look ill be paying more attention and will have an in depth look underneath too.
    Low price does seem a little fishy , but if he knew the aircon was knackered , and a genuine replacemtne is 1500-2000, then maybe he thought hed regass it , hope it would hold and get rid of it ASAP? He did seem suprised when the AC didnt work...
    Jastanis; Yep i was referring to Taylors as they are familiar with the car. Bad idea you think?
    Got some spare prices from them today, seemed exxy compared to what ive been hearing on the forum.
    Coils 180ea , Rotors 290 pair, Pads 155 pair, Front struts 300ea new, Rear Struts 145ea new..
    I'll keep you posted, he taking it to Taylors for a diagnostic check on the AC and then ill be making a decision on price etc..

  9. #9
    Member DanS16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Sorted!

    All went well with the AC, the problem was traced to a faulty heater flap. Apparantly the flap actuator had cracked and was keeping the heating on full. Replaced with a new part and is working A OK

    Put a deposit on it today and hope to pick her up next Sat, so looks like ill be sticking around her for a while to come.

    Thanks for all the replies, can't wait to bring it back now, route goes thru Mt Torrens, Charlston for those that know the Hills, lots of twistys

    one very happy pug owner..

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts U Turn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanS16
    Sorted!

    All went well with the AC, the problem was traced to a faulty heater flap. Apparantly the flap actuator had cracked and was keeping the heating on full. Replaced with a new part and is working A OK

    Put a deposit on it today and hope to pick her up next Sat, so looks like ill be sticking around her for a while to come.

    Thanks for all the replies, can't wait to bring it back now, route goes thru Mt Torrens, Charlston for those that know the Hills, lots of twistys

    one very happy pug owner..
    Dan, congrats on your purchase! Sounds like you got yourself a fantastic deal there.

    I can't say whether it is or isn't a bad idea taking it to the pug dealership for servicing is. I can only speak from my experience with my previous cars (non-pug) where the dealership charged like a wounded bull for pretty much everything. But just be careful if they charge you $400+ for every routine service that doesn't require legit repairs.

    I'm sure you'll have an awesome time getting to know the car through the great rds around the Hills.
    Take the long way home....

    - 306 gti6

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •