My 504 Carby again?
  • Register
  • Help

Default My 504 Carby again?

Hi all,

I have attached two photos of my carby on '77 504 GL. It is not the original carby as the connection to the air filter is chopped and adjusted to fit this one. Note four bolt holes on each corner around throat, indicating another cover fits onto it. I cannot find anything similar in the Haynes Manual, or Owners Manual. I am keen to find out what it is and any opinions of the performance of the carby. Any ideas?

Peter J.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 504 Carby again?-107_0732.jpg   My 504 Carby again?-107_0734.jpg  
    PJ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J
    Hi all,

I have attached two photos of my carby on '77 504 GL. It is not the original carby as the connection to the air filter is chopped and adjusted to fit this one. Note four bolt holes on each corner around throat, indicating another cover fits onto it. I cannot find anything similar in the Haynes Manual, or Owners Manual. I am keen to find out what it is and any opinions of the performance of the carby. Any ideas?

Peter J.

without a closer look it looks like a weber to me

have a look around the base of the carb and it should have a stamping on it saying what size and so on it is (eg dgas 32/36)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    without a closer look it looks like a weber to me

have a look around the base of the carb and it should have a stamping on it saying what size and so on it is (eg dgas 32/36)

Sure does not look like any solex carb i have seen.

I am looking into these webbers. Interesting to see one actually on a working car. Would an oil bath filter fit on top?
    What sort of webber if it is one is it?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz

Sure does not look like any solex carb i have seen.

I am looking into these webbers. Interesting to see one actually on a working car. Would an oil bath filter fit on top?
    What sort of webber if it is one is it?

shobbz

you can fit the early 504 air cleaners on them and just modify the rubber boot to suit

i had one on a 604 would you believe and it worked a treat
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi all,

Peter J.
    Hi Peter.
    Belated welcome also. That is almost definatly a Weber, looks like a DIR/DARA type to me, possibly off a Renault R20,or may-be Fuego the auto choke looks very fimiliar. Have a look at the base of the carb, and post any numbering you see there and someone here will know what it is off. Have you got a French wrecker near you? If so, just go and ask to try a carb attachment from a Renault weber, you could then adapt it to the air cleaner neck from the original Pug one.

thanks,

God idea. I'll also have to change my blue slip provider, he knows Pugs inside out and will obviously notice different air cleaner and missing pollution gear attached to the original carby. Dr.shopping?

Peter J.
    PJ

Tadpole

Hi Peter,
    I'm replying to your post on my hi from new member thread. My Carb does not look like yours but yours does have some similar features to my weber.
    I have drawn a red arrow pointing to the flange edge where I found the identifying marks on mine. (look all the way around the flange edge not just where I have put the arrow)
    Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 504 Carby again?-peterj-carb-001.jpg  

Peter,

Your carby could be a Holley copy of a Weber 32/36 DFAV. I helped one of my mates fit one to his 504 and it looks alot like yours, but as others have said the Renault Weber DIR also looks similar.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Hi all,

Done a bit of web surfing and found a diagram of a Weber 32/36 DFAV carby and I'm now 99% sure that's what it is. (Or a copy of one anyway Dave?). Anybody had any experience with these. Read a few comments on other sites that seem to indicate quite suitable for 2 litre standard pug motor. Seems to be performing OK on this motor anyway. Anybody had any experience with these? Good or bad? Tuning problems etc?

Thanks for your help Dave.

Peter J.
    PJ

Hi all,

Done a bit of web surfing and found a diagram of a Weber 32/36 DFAV carby and I'm now 99% sure that's what it is. (Or a copy of one anyway Dave?). Anybody had any experience with these. Read a few comments on other sites that seem to indicate quite suitable for 2 litre standard pug motor. Seems to be performing OK on this motor anyway. Anybody had any experience with these? Good or bad? Tuning problems etc?

Thanks for your help Dave.

Peter J.

if its a weber 36, it doesn't really look like the carbie on my 205 (also a 36) so i'd be thinking along the lines of it being something else
    Last edited by orestes; 10th August 2004 at 11:59 PM.

Default Weber tuning

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Hi again, Peter.
    I wish to retract my earlier suggestion and replace it with agreeing with the 32/36 df series. It has a water operated auto choke so it'll most likely be the dfav ....which if it is a weber it is a mirror image of the 32/36dgv type carbie.
    If it is infact a holley carb it will be a 180 which holley remanufactured under lisence from weber. Either way, it is a good carb for that engine.

Why not just read what it says on the outside of the carby??

Graham Wallis

Anybody had any experience with these. Read a few comments on other sites that seem to indicate quite suitable for 2 litre standard pug motor. Seems to be performing OK on this motor anyway. Anybody had any experience with these? Good or bad? Tuning problems etc?
    The one which we put on my mate's 504 works really well, except that his has a manual choke which is useless (because it has no fast idle mechanism).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Default what is it

That carby looks like a holley 5200.

Als

Icon11 Holley 5200

It is definatly a 5200 holley. Petersons book have a rebuild section on that carby and I am sure if you go to your local tech book store you should be able to get a book on holleys fairly easily. The "how to" Holley is quite good.
    However, one piece of help I can offer is:

That the power valve should be check independently of the engine and carb or recomended vacuum opening and closing settings. Most are out by 4 or more inches and they tend to leak. If you have fixed powervalve orifaces i suggest you jet them! This may be if I remember previous conversation were your mixture adjustment will be out.

Als

Thread Information