can any one help me i have a 405 mi16 vibrating under throtle
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 can any one help me i have a 405 mi16 vibrating under throtle

the car is a peugeot 405 mi16 1990 1.9L

i am haveing a slit problem with my mi16. When i am under throtle and accelerating. when it gets to 3000 rpm it start vibrating then bye 6000 rpm it is shaking the hole car and i dont know how to fix it. i have tryed changing top engien mount and it did not much of a diffrance if any one can give me any clues or pointers on how to solve this irrating problem it would be grateley appreciated i have a botem mount be i just have not had time to get over and fit it

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

do the bottom mount if not inspect your drive shafts

Cheers

Also get your CVs checked. My mate has the sasme problem in his 306. After about 3000 it would vibrate quite a bit. When its vibrating is the gear leaver moving back and fouth. As above also check your lower mount.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Cam : hey dude!

Craig: I'm having a similar issue in my 205, but the noise stops at around 3200 rpm. Originally suspected it to be a destroyed resonator/cat, but now know its not. There's a plate of metal above the exhaust downpipe (not sure what exact name of it is), and in my car this is vibrating against the downpipe or possibly the manifold. Creates a terrible rattle that, as Cam said, you can even feel up through the gearstick
    Sounds bad but apparently its easily fixed and not damaging the car at all. If this is in fact your problem, then a muffler centre should be able to sort it out.
    Good luck!
    White S3 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Clandestino
    Cam : hey dude!

Craig: I'm having a similar issue in my 205, but the noise stops at around 3200 rpm. Originally suspected it to be a destroyed resonator/cat, but now know its not. There's a plate of metal above the exhaust downpipe (not sure what exact name of it is), and in my car this is vibrating against the downpipe or possibly the manifold. Creates a terrible rattle that, as Cam said, you can even feel up through the gearstick
    That's a heat shield and don't let anyone talk you into removing it.
    I had one removed on my car prior to me owning it and it cost me a steering pinion seal kit ($#!+ of a job) and a steering coupling. They can also create a situation where the car catches fire; they are there for a reason regardless of what any greasemonkey might try to tell you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thanks Alan, yes I suspected that's what it was but wasn't sure. Hell no, i'd never remove the thing... surely it can be shifted or something though? or the downpipe can be moved a little? suuuuuuuch an annoying noise its making.
    White S3 205 GTi

You'd be surprised at how many get thrown away......
    I was thinking about this vibration last night and wondered if the coupling from the downpipe/extractors to the front section before the cat was the same on these as on the BX16V. I would doubt that there's any reason for it to be different and if it is the same, could there be any chance that the spring loaded coupling could have seized up?
    This is a flange that has a couple of bolts with springs used to allow the exhaust pipe front section to move with the torque of the engine. There's an odd shaped flange gasket that fits over the extension of the pipe & fits in to seal the gases & noises off at this connection. Whenever this flange is removed, it requires these bolts. springs and spacers to be coated with high temp (copper) grease to allow the coupling to keep flexing when being driven. I had one get dry on a car a few years back & it made some real weird rattles and vibrations. You'll need the car well jacked up or preferrably up on a hoist to get a decent look and possible access to it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information