water from exhaust
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default water from exhaust

Is it a bad thing whena car thats idling spits out water from its exhaust? I've looked at it an noticed the other car doesn't do it yet mine spits out a fair bit?

Is there something wrong or is this normal? the water has some soot?? or something black in it.. the gas comin from the exhaust is white or black or anything either..

Advertisement

Does it happen when your car is cold. Its normal for a car that has just been started im pretty sure. How much water are we talking about. The color if it is sotty is just from the carbon in the exhaust i would say. And the exhaust is white you say? If your car is cold its normal. If its warmed and its blowing black and white smoke i dont really know. Maby rings or something like that causing oil to get into the cycle of things. youll get an answer though soon.
    Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Yeap when it's cold, but there is quite a large amount on the ground i've noticed. Yeap only white smoke when it's cold. The car does very short journeys, not sure if something has worn out.

How many ks has your car done. What sort of car is it.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Mate, you're in Sweden and you're looking at Aussie Frogs?
    Have you noticed the women over there yet?
    They are spectacular! Go have a sauna with some....
    Don't worry about wasting time with the local cars; and the furniture is much the same as back here.
    Yes, it's got to be: Blondes NOW!
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Don't worry about wasting time with the local cars; and the furniture is much the same as back here.
    the best looking women in the world come from countries around that region... i wish i was there *drools*

Yea. I was out all night last night and all through stockholm. Yes im going to the chiropractor on monday to get this knot out of my neck from twisting to look at all the women. Seriously this country is crazy. The girls love to eye you off across the shops and street. Its like their kind of flirting. Yes i knw ppl in oz do this but not like its done over here. The girls are phenomal. Amazing. Was at this bar last night and you cant help yourself, and they all speak english so you can chat with them.
    Im blown away. So what were we tallking about again.
    Oh yea water in pipe

Jealousy.... gotta love it
    Cam. And swedish Gals
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Well,i dont think by itself thats a problem..

My 206 GTi180 with 3k on the clock leaves a fair sized water mark on the ground under the exhaust tips in just in 5 minutes of me leaving it idling to warm up :/.Even after the 5 minutes theres usually still enough white smoke coming out of the exhaust that its noticable (for a new car anyway),worried me at first,now im used to it.Dont know what car youve got,but i sure as hell hope its normal,for a 206 anyway
    Last edited by Mandible; 1st August 2004 at 05:39 AM.

Cars have been doing it as long as there's been cars. More so in winter than summer; it's just condensation.
    Don't ask me why, but some seem to blow more condensation than others so I suppose it depends a lot on the design of the system.
    No worries; it's a good reminder of why cars rust out & block up mufflers, bends in exhaust systems and catalytic converters particularly if used constantly over short distances and particularly in colder weather.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

I always drill a small hole in the mufflers at the lowest point. It's not just water, it's acidic (carbonic acid).
    A few weeks ago i replaced the middle muffler and it was not till a couple of weeks later that i drilled the hole after the car standing overnight. It dribbled about 30 to 50 ml of this 'water'. No surprise short distance driven car's mufflers rust in double quick time.
    JoBo

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    the best looking women in the world come from countries around that region... i wish i was there *drools*

Officially this year the best looking woman comes from just outside Newcastle Aus.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Officially this year the best looking woman comes from just outside Newcastle Aus.
    from a beauty pagent but yes oficialy the best looking woman in the universe is australian

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    My 206 GTi180 with 3k on the clock leaves a fair sized water mark on the ground under the exhaust tips in just in 5 minutes of me leaving it idling to warm up
    Mandible,

Just wondering why you leave your car idling for 5 minutes to warm it up? It's possibly the *worst* thing you can do to your engine. The most wear occurs in an engine just after startup, until the oil warms up. When you drive off slowly, the engine comes up to temperature extremely quickly (due to increased throttle openings etc). To give you an example, I can leave my car idling and after 5 minutes there isn't enough heat for the climate control to blow warm air. On the other hand, I can drive 500m, including up a hill at the end of the street, and I have hot air.

If I was you I wouldn't be idling the car to warm it up - just drive off slowly. Once everything's up to temperature (maybe 4 or 5km) you can rev it harder This means that everything has warmed up in a matter of minutes - I bet after 5 minutes of idling your car wouldn't even be partially warmed up.

Swedish women Let's all hope PUG307 pays more attention to them than us!

Derek

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

When octane burns, three molecules are released; Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water (mostly). Because the car's exhaust is cold, the water produced by the engine condensates along the tail pipe. Once the car has warmed up and the exhaust pipe is warm as well, the water stays in its gaseous state.

Carbonic acid is produced when CO2 is bubbled through water, which is where the acid comes from (same as in Coca Cola). JoBo, your idea of drilliing a hole in the lowest point is quite a good one to ovecome this.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Swedish women Let's all hope PUG307 pays more attention to them than us! Derek
    Lets just hope he doesn't get misunderstood when he asks to see a girl's Volvo...

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Lets just hope he doesn't get misunderstood when he asks to see a girl's Volvo...
    or NCAP rating whole new meaning to side impact intrusion....

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Default use this link for more info on your exhaust

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Exhaus...onverter.shtml

Thought this link might give you a heads up on what your exhaust does. The water is always there just sometimes you cant see it, as it evaporated off when hot. What you dont want to happen is always doing small trips (not getting the exhaust hot) in your car as this water will eventually corrode out your exhaust...unless you have a stainless steel one that is...readnik

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Go to a bar called "Bar/cafe Biblos" in stockholm. I was there a couple of years ago and could not believe how many good looking women there were. Eye candy everywhere.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    whole new meaning to side impact intrusion....
    Yeah but you can refer to side impacts as getting T-Boned can't you?

Oh, and the V70 has BLIS (S)? - Blind Spot Information System Imagine using that with WHIPS

Derek
    p.s. refer to here for more Volvo acronyms
    Last edited by DeKa; 1st August 2004 at 04:25 PM.

Icon11

Yeah but you can refer to side impacts as getting T-Boned can't you?

Oh, and the V70 has BLIS (S)? - Blind Spot Information System Imagine using that with WHIPS

Derek
    p.s. refer to here for more Volvo acronyms
    Now your getting plain kinky Deka!!! PUG307 - WHIPS eeeuuuww

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

What do you mean? WHIPS isn't it's Whiplash Protection System - http://www.driveandstayalive.com/art...ion-system.htm

Derek

You do realise that once he logs on, goes to "Search" he immediately puts "Volvo" in and all these comments are going to greet him; geez you guys are gunna cop heaps.
    Oh by the way Justin seeing as how you're in Volvoden, do all the men over there that driva Vlolovs wear white towelling hats too, just the same as here??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Swedish women Let's all hope PUG307 pays more attention to them than us!
    They're better looking

Not too shabby at all, so cute when they call out "hej hej" (sounds like hey hey = hello)

My theory is, because so many people cycle here (see attached picture), many of them keep such nice figures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water from exhaust-stationbikes1.jpg  

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Now your getting plain kinky Deka!!! PUG307 - WHIPS eeeuuuww
    Easy boy, easy!

Good to see someone's been giving you your daily dose of Vitamin Volvo

No surprise, there are lots of them here. Seems like half the country moves around in a V70. Not as many SAABs as I had expected. Citroens aren't so common, seen two XMs though and a handful of C3s. Renault Clios aren't hard to find in Stockholm, although you won't find many other Renault models (I've only seen one Megane, vs about 7 607s!).

Peugeots are fairly common for a non Swede. Before the 206, Peugeot was only selling about 4000 cars a year. Now they're selling 20,000 and look to selling 25,000 soon. The 307 estates are the most popular here - they offer a lot of space and are quite a bit cheaper than a Volvo estate. I saw my first GTi180 in Europe, in Sweden (well they call it the 'arsey' over here).

Those are fairly big numbers in a country whose population only reached 9 million a few days ago.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Oh by the way Justin seeing as how you're in Volvoden, do all the men over there that driva Vlolovs wear white towelling hats too, just the same as here??
    Alan, I'm in the home of Husqvarnas and Flymos and I still haven't seen one sitting in the back of a Volvo

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information