Lost 203/403 heritage?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 Lost 203/403 heritage?

Can anyone add to or subtract from the rumour that all the 203/403s at the rear of Bianchi Bros on the Parade at Kensington Park, Adelaide went via City Dismantlers to the crusher?

Tears, Edgedweller

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Can anyone add to or subtract from the rumour that all the 203/403s at the rear of Bianchi Bros on the Parade at Kensington Park, Adelaide went via City Dismantlers to the crusher?

Tears, Edgedweller

They were offered for sale so if it is true we only have ourselves to blame.

Graham Wallis

Icon11

I missed the advertising, do you happen to know where and when?

Cheers

VIP Sponsor

I missed the advertising, do you happen to know where and when?

Cheers
    20Five (Peter's son Lucien) posted an ad in the parts section of this forum the 21st of June. This was for new and second hand parts due to the fact that Bianchi Bros were closing down.
    When I saw this I recognised what it was about from previous info. Trouble is that I recieve so much info from this site, car clubs and personal mail that I can't remember where I first found out about it, sorry!
    I would imagine that they were parts cars only, is this true?
    If they were stored outside for a long it is highly unlikely that they would have been restorable although I believe that there was an extremely rare 203 cabriolet albeit in poor condition. Can anyone confirm this, surely this wouldn't have been crushed?
    I am picking up two unwanted 403s for free on Monday, the demand is not high!

Graam Wallis

Icon9

Thanks Graham,

certainly those cars had been there for up to thirty years and would have had maximum cancer, but it's the running gear that could have kept us going.
    I realized the Bianchi Bros were pretty tired, but to wrap that situation up in about 2 -3 weks is pretty sad. I live less than a kilometre away and had been a reluctant client for 30 years but but had no knowledge of their closing. Could have, temporarily, put some of these cars on my property up north and had a gene pool available,anyway. No attaboys for Auto Dismantlers either.

C;est la guere!

Edgedweller
    403 daily drive
    504 wagon (water comes from exhaust pipe)

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    20Five (Peter's son Lucien) posted an ad in the parts section of this forum the 21st of June. This was for new and second hand parts due to the fact that Bianchi Bros were closing down.
    When I saw this I recognised what it was about from previous info. Trouble is that I recieve so much info from this site, car clubs and personal mail that I can't remember where I first found out about it, sorry!
    I would imagine that they were parts cars only, is this true?
    If they were stored outside for a long it is highly unlikely that they would have been restorable although I believe that there was an extremely rare 203 cabriolet albeit in poor condition. Can anyone confirm this, surely this wouldn't have been crushed?
    I am picking up two unwanted 403s for free on Monday, the demand is not high!

Graam Wallis

Graham, must have missed this thread.... I managed to obtain the 203 Cabriolet from my uncles shop when he closed, while dads (Paul Bianchi) Berline Decouvrable was also kept. They both need plenty of TLC and $$ to get these up and running... including some research into their soft top structure. I am not too sure how many Cabriolets or Decouvrables are in Australia considering there were respectively only 2,567 and 11,129 ever produced!

Yes it was a shame to have this place cleaned out as I spent everyday after school there since Grade 3 and every Saturday working. Unfortunately I was in a very busy stage of my career working away so I was not overly involved. I believe Peter stock piled a lot of 203 and 403 running gear.

The business closing was advertised to the car clubs in SA and phone calls were made to know interested parties. Unfortunately only a handful of people were iterested while most of the bodies were disposed of as they just crumbled. I must admit it brought a tear to my eyes.

Hey Lucien, what of the spare parts that where inside? Did they go anywhere in particular or where they just run down to near zero?

How's Wim by the way?

cheers ed ge

Hey Lucien, what of the spare parts that where inside? Did they go anywhere in particular or where they just run down to near zero?

How's Wim by the way?

cheers ed ge
    Hey mate, all the Renault spares were sold to a gentleman in Adelaide, brought a blank check and took everything. Dad still has all the spare parts for the Peugeots, I posted a thread long ago in regards to the Peugeot parts. If you need anything hard to find PM me as I think i still have the list of parts on my computer some where.

Not too sure how Wim is going, I havent talked to him in years, though still see him driving around in his yellow van! Three brothers dont communicate too much anymore, 30+ years working together they probably need to have some distance.

hows the 403 going?
    Last edited by 20FIVE; 20th August 2005 at 10:17 PM.

Big end knock in that motor now. Have the bearings but have to get the tractor running before I've got lift.

Found a very clean 75 504 Ti for a price I couldn't refuse and that's allowed me take the 403 off the road to tidy it up again.

So the 403 after 5 years of hard service is back to a long term proposition, to be reborn with the problems ironed out, how long, who knows, could still be available for an occassional run.

Priority now to put gas and a five speed on the Ti.

Still enjoying the perils of the self serve mechanic, less than before but then that's not uncommon.

It was good to see you bob up in Melbourne.

Stay well ed ge

Did you source the bearings locally or go abroad as the last lot I purchased from Neoretro many full moons ago. I have since been told the old bearings can be re coated with white metal to better than original condition... not sure how true this is. I would like to get mine back on the road, but unfortunately one of my pistons has a hair line crack probably due to the constant abuse the old girl received.

Did you have the middle main bearing cap strengthened like what the Rolly Park? supercharged engines had.... if I keep this engine I will go down this track.

75 Ti.... nice car... I was only talking to a fellow pugger today saying if I wouldnt mind a mint condition 504 for general driving to work. I have a avacardo green Ti back in Adelaide that I need to sell. Not mint but not bad body wise and the Inj. engine I rebuilt a few years back and it has since done bugger all mileage.

Hey Lucien,

can't remember where the bearings came from it was aussie though, a job lot, mostly standard so had the crank white metalled to standard. Inspection now would give advice on the suitability of this technique.

After some talk with a fellow in Melbourne, well known, apparently, for blown 03 motors was convinced to bridge the centre bearing, 3/4 or inch key steel, bolts rare but obtainable, should have done all three bearing it seems as the motor only did 10k miles before the mains were replaced and now the big end knock beginning at approx 60k miles. Anyway the motor came off the dyno at 126hp @ 6,200 rpm @ 11lbs boost pleasing as that seemed I put it in the car at 106hp @ 9lbs boost, but there was always too much fuel and the idea was misconceived without proper engineering support.

Even 106 is way too much hp for the old 3 main bearing crank, next time 6 or 7 lbs for 70 or 80 hp and the overdrive gearbox will be it.

This Ti is good, 195,000 k's, log booked until 180,000, head and radiator done since, wish I had some dollars to do some work to it, oh well.
    Take your pick for colour though............................................ trak yellow.

ed ge

Ps sigma pistons might be the go if your looking to use a blower, same diameter, higher gudgeon set, lower compression, 1505cc.
    Last edited by edgedweller; 22nd August 2005 at 03:17 AM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 20FIVE
    Did you source the bearings locally or go abroad as the last lot I purchased from Neoretro many full moons ago. I have since been told the old bearings can be re coated with white metal to better than original condition... not sure how true this is. I would like to get mine back on the road, but unfortunately one of my pistons has a hair line crack probably due to the constant abuse the old girl received.

Did you have the middle main bearing cap strengthened like what the Rolly Park? supercharged engines had.... if I keep this engine I will go down this track.

75 Ti.... nice car... I was only talking to a fellow pugger today saying if I wouldnt mind a mint condition 504 for general driving to work. I have a avacardo green Ti back in Adelaide that I need to sell. Not mint but not bad body wise and the Inj. engine I rebuilt a few years back and it has since done bugger all mileage.

Remetalling the shells would be dodgy if at all possible. The front main can be remetalled.
    Alister Inglis from the UK ran his bearings in the Redex Rerun, these were newly made (or remade) and he had been running on very thin European style oil.
    My 1600cc twin weber 403 motor has had no trouble with bearings but I have kept the compression down to 8 to 1, probably not ideal with the 30-70 cam.
    I don't know of any bearings available nowadays but I have a few sets, I wont sell these but am prepared to use them to rebuild motors for people.
    Graham

1000+ Posts

The 203 cabriolet was not available in Australia and the few that came were special imports. The manager of Canada Cycle had one. There was one import of decouvrables. They were on sale in 1951. Numbers were fewer than 15 but this may be Melbourne only, Sydney may have had a separate import. They were difficult to sell and were sold on discount. Legend has it an unsold one was dismantled for spares. Brian Morrison in Port Fairy had one registered until recently. Was advertised for $10000 but didn't sell and went into storage. There is apparently another near Geelong. Saw a light blue one with SA plates going through Ballarat years ago.
    A retired engineer in Mt Gambier used to redo white metal bearings. Don't know how satisfactory the job was.

Thread Information