rear discs onto 205
  • Register
  • Help

rear discs onto 205

another question,
    don't you love me?

ahh, how feasible is it to replace rear drums with discs?

is it a pain in the arse? and not worth it, and can after market ABS system be fitted? thinking i would try a bit of tonia todman!

any thoughts?

Advertisement
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Well i'm no expert but to repeat the words of others, the back wheels lift off (1 at a time i believe) under braking and turning anyway so don't really do any work, since there can't be that much weight on them for that to happen. They lock up all the time on the track apparently and thats with drums. A guy called Leon did the change over, if anyone has his email you could speak to him. I lost it.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

so the drum rear version of the GTI ('87 in my case) has s tendency to lock up the rears under heavy braking???

I've noticed that on my GTI, however it also want's to swap ends anti clockwise (i.e rear comes around from the right)...

Finding a rear end cheaply and bolting it one would be good If someone has done it.... document it and post it.

Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

You're better off leaving the drums there, they give better brake balance and your handbrake will work better. 4 wheel discs is something marketing people like to get excited about when there's nothing wrong with drums on the rear.

Its a waste of time and money doing a rear disk conversion. The rear brakes do bugger all braking and lock up easy anyway.

I've got the rear drums on mine and even on the track they performed greatly. A good set of tyres with Greenstuff pads will give you a great increase in braking ability.

Darren

I have had the conversion done on mine series 1 and not for the performance reason its that the rear control arm bearings were badly copped out and we could not get a good drum rear end.
    Two things the pedal feel is Vastly superior with the discs and much more solid.
    I have the anit lock valve from the drum with a single in the rear and am concerned about the brake balance.
    I have a new mastercylinder and the Disc reducing valves but not sure if they are necessary?

rear bearing probs eh? think i've got one of those
    so you put 92+ arms on? how much was that? second hand, re-conditioned, brand new? where abouts did you have it done.

what was that other stuff about, a bit over my head!

cheers renn
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Thread Information