306 S16 electric side mirrors
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 S16 electric side mirrors

I've got this most annoying problem. I've just had my car serviced (it's running really well) and cleaned (spent a few hours monday washing it and waxing it) but today after 3 days sitting under my car cover I've noticed something weird with my side mirror on the driver's side. It seems really poorly attached to the car and it can freely move both left and right. It can be pushed up as well but it's not gonna fall off because there's a cable inside. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps someone bumped the mirrors severly in the last few days (my neighbour's 14 year old kid's the main suspect). I have no idea what's going wrong inside and I can try and take a few pictures toomorrow. Normally the mirrors can be bent towards the windows but not really the other way. This moves freely and if I go at high speeds it actually moves pushing it down doesnt fix it

I've used some heavy duty electrical tape to keep in in position but it annoys me so much given that the car's in showroom condition otherwise.

How do I take this apart ? Can it be fixed ? Where should I go ? Any help apreciated ...

Advertisement
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

I should add that the electric adjustment works fine and it's purely a mechanical problem with the joint between the mirror and the car. I'm not gonna be pulling up or down in fear that I'll break the damn thing.

There's no evidence of contact as the polish still shines perfectly

No one else has used the car in the last 3 days so I'm confused... what the hell happened ?
    2004 Clio 182 current

I've found one at a wrecker for $200. Is this a good price ?

I've got no idea though what exactly is wrong with it. My current mirror might just require a $2 plastic part to stop it from moving around too much...
    2004 Clio 182 current

I had a similar problem. From what I know, the mechanisim inside which allows it to swing, yet holds it down is made of some really crappy metal or glass like material. The retaining bits shattered. I'm pretty sure it was part of the section attached to the car rather than the mirror too.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Icon7

Slick,

I had similar problem with my 306 a few months ago....The good news is it will cost you nothing to repair. That right... NOTHING! But you have to be mechanically inclined....and have a reasonable vice that opens at least 80mm to be able to compress the spring clip that's come off.

1st - remove the mirror assembly from the car completely by removing the triangular cover on the inside. Cover just clips on and off using flat screwdriver. Remove 3 Filister head screws, unplug wiring loom and remove complete assembly.

2nd - remove backing plate to mirror which again is just clipped on (or may have screw on bottom I can't remember). this will reveal the heater element and give you some room to move around.

3rd - by now you will see that the entire problem is due to spring clip coming off the shaft in the joint held together under tension by a rather large tension spring. the trick now is to remove the wiring that runs through the middle of the shaft so that you can get the whole thing into your vice without damaging the wiring .

4 - The only way I found to remove the wiring was to remove each pin from the wiring plug and then re-insert again when finished (this is the plug that was unplugged from the car end!. I know this sounds messy, but with the help of a tiny screwdriver and some tape to identify which pin goes where the job is easy. (about 5-10 mins)
    5 - pull the wiring out when you remove plug and take complete assembly to vice.

6 - trick now is to find a 17mm(approx) socket that will push the circular spring clip back on to the shaft (shaft diameter should fit inside the socket) using the vice to get the spring compressed. Once on it aint coming off! especially if you get a new spring clip! (20 cents)
    7 - refit the wiring through shaft and install pins as per your diagram or notes.
    8 - refit rear cover (not sure why we took this off to begin with , but it's nice to see the heater element anyway.
    9 - re-fit to car as per 3 screws
    10- plug wiring loom back together again.
    11 - re-fit internal cover
    12- test... hopefully all works. (actually you will be able to test the movement after you compress spring)..

Total time spent should not be more than 1 hr (not bad for $200 worth of work. Note the messiest part was removing the wiring plug!
    Good luck
    Pugilist

thanks - I'll try fixing this on the weekend rather then pay up to $200

I'm not really that mechanically inclined but with 2 parents who have master degrees in mechanical engineering I'll be sure to find someone who can help me if I get stuck
    2004 Clio 182 current

again many thanks to pugilist for his advice. It took me over 2 hours to compress the damn spring but I didnt give up. Fixed this up about 30 mins ago. I've managed to save the money that the wreckers were gonna charge me for a new mirror. My vice wasnt very good and I couldnt get the damn spring clip to go back on.

It works really well now and I couldnt be happier
    2004 Clio 182 current

Thread Information