Stereo too hot in 205
  • Register
  • Help
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Default Stereo too hot in 205

Our 205 GTi has had an ongoing problem with the stereo that has been installed in it by the previous owner (A sony X-PLOD model). It seems that the area where the stereo is fitted gets awfully hot because it is right on top of the gearbox. When we take CDs out sometimes they are too hot to touch especially on long drives. Problem is the CD player is now jumping and not reading CDs at all.

Advertisement

It is getting replaced but we are wondering if the same thing is going to happen with the new CD player and if anyone else with 205s have experienced this problem.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

mate for one thing your gearbox is attatched to the side of the motor so if your cd player is on top of this you would have to open the bonnet or crawl under to change cd's[ok enough sarcasm]
    .are you running the heater sa well when it gets hot.?
    you could install a computer fan backwards behind it [sucking not blowing] if ther is room to draw heat away,but it needs fixing first as it should not get that hot.
    it should have a thermal cut out ,cd's shouldnt be hot to the touch ,it should cut out before reaching unoperable temps,is it running external amp ?if so is this also hot. if so maybe powersupply problem or open capacitor not clicking off when storage capacity is reached.
    by the sounds of it the cd player aint very healthy.new one shouldnt be a prob.i am runnung minidisc in mine and the discs are never hot ,maybe someone running same cd might be able to help
    .i am a audio engineer and i never really thought very much of the sony xplode components,too much flashy packaging not enough substance,but its horses for courses and its usually down to budget,a bit off the subject, if you get a sub dont get a 15" one,get a box with 2 *10 inch speakers,if ya want more advice on this give me shout-BAZZ [email protected]

It's called a sony XPLODE for a reason

I've found that most after market decks get quite warm, with the CDs being quite warm when they are removed. I've experienced this on Clarion, Sony and OEM decks... it's normal, really, and as was said above, they'll cut out if they're too hot.

Doesnt the pug exhaust run in the area described?

You could put some isolation on the floor in that area (anything from the industrial foil from airconditioning wholesaler to few layers of the basic alluminium foil).
    Alternative 2 as pointed out a small fan.
    Alternative 3 stick a heatsink onto the deck. This may involve removal of the whole console though.

And as Lincoln pointed out most decks get quite warm after few hrs of usage.
    These things will fail within few years of usage especially if you are using the onboard amplifiers to their full extent so join the throw-away society and upgrade the deck every few years.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Most newer decks get pretty hot as they use bigger and more numerous MOSFET's which get pretty damn hot. Heat is normally the by-product of providing higher wattage to the speakers and in this day and age when the high "W" value, the better a CD is...apparently

Could also be a short in a speaker wire, causing a reduced resistance in the circuit and overloading the output of the internal amp.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!

I have a Pioneer deck in my 205 and in stop start traffic or really hot days the area above the stereo gets pretty warm, but as said above aftermarket decks have got in-built amps, (such as MOSFET) which produce more heat. I have not any probs though with cutting out
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I have had the same problem with the sony xplod.. mine jumps and sometiems doesn't read.. don't worry it's the head unit. AVOID SONY XPLOD.

I hope your new deck isn't another xplod.

D'oh.. I just bought and installed a new Sony MP3 X-Plod

For what it's worth, often the original tape player used to get quite hot, so much so that often I'd deform/warp the cassette casing?!?

I guess its an example of not being designed for 35 degree plus days...

a few words.... sony are good at making some things but there car stereos are CRAP! ... also if the heat is becoming a huge issue mount it somewhere else... or do as was said previously... add a few computer case fans behind it... i'd reccomend two... one sucking hot air out the other vblowing cold air in... it will add a bit of noise but you will get used to

Fellow Frogger!

My Alpine CD player just died because I reckon it was getting too hot in my 505 dash. The cutout for the radio in these cars is right above the heater outlet "tubes". I touched the CD player underneath and it was very very hot. I only used my heater on low after this but it was too late! Have not had a quote on it yet.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Okay, agreed, probably not above the gearbox (used to rear wheel drives you see). But it does get hot around that area as it is right on the central 'hump'. whatever is behind it produces alot of heat.

Thank god no, the new CD player isn't an X-PLOD, it is Kenwood. Should be okay I hope!!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

The reason the cd unit gets so hot is because the heater element is just above the unit. The heater in 205's is always on, so it is hot all the time.
    The temperature adjustment only varies the amount of air that passes through the heater. It is a real pain, but I think the best option if the unit can't handle the heat, is the fan as described by "bazgti". Might do that myself.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

my kenwood also gets warm and you can feel the warmth on the display panel

the head unit has been in 504's, 604's and a 405 and a 306

it once shut down in a 604 with the A/C on and condensation dripped onto it but it was repaired

the only other time it has ever shut down was with an amp i had running off it didn't have enough air flow over it and the amp thermaled out and shut down

my experience is the more power a head unit will pump out the warmer they will run

we had an alpine in another car and the CD's used to come out of that pretty warm as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information