i need some help!205gti Q's!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon11 i need some help!205gti Q's!

hey peoples,
    ok i have just pulled the head off my 205gti so that i can get it rebuilt and maybe get some rings in there.the thing is on the top of the piston there is a an accumulation of what looks to be little bits of burnt crap stuck to the top of the piston!

can i just scrape it off?there are no makes or groves on/in the liners but to renew the rings how do i get to them?do i undo the rods from the bottom or can i get to them from the top?

as well if anyone knows where i should get my head reco'd in melbourne's eastern/stheastern subs this could help to.hoping some 1 can enlightern me.

thanks jords

Advertisement

Tadpole

gday mi205,

That crap on the top of the pistons should be scraped off with a small block of wood with the end sawn off at 45 degrees so it is like a chisel, then grab another plank of wood and lay it across the deck of the block and push down on it so that the liners stay put while someone rotates the engine to get each piston to top dead centre ,when each piston is at the top u can scrape the carbon off with that chisel that u just made.

Some of the carbon u just scraped off will inevitabely end up down the bores so as u rotate to the next piston clean the carbon off the bore of the piston u just cleaned with a rag an then reoil the bore

Depending on how old the motor is u may have a little ridge on the bores from where the highest point of piston ring travel is, if this is so u will need to purchase a ridge reamer to cut the ridge off so that u dont damage the piston ring lands when u push the piston and conrod assembly out

and to remove the pistons u will need to unbolt the sump and then undo the bolts on the conrod big end caps, as u push the piston and conrod out it is a good idea to put 2 inch long pieces of garden house over the conrod bolts so that u dont scratch the crank/bores while u pull it out

Being from the west of melbourne im not familiar with head reconditioners over that side but if your willing to travel to the west there is a good place in sunshine that reconditions heads known as "Westpoint Cylinder Heads" at 110 fairbairn road
    Last edited by PUGPWR; 27th July 2004 at 07:41 PM.

is that you andreas?

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    is that you andreas?
    no, just an imposter

Icon10 thanks!

thanks PUGPWR for the hits on the removal of the piston and rods.i did get some help from alpine affair coz i know the dude but hate bothering him with stupid stuff.

i hope that i get it back together ok. it shouldnt be to much of a prob it only took me a few hours to rip it down. i will rip the bottom end out the next day its not raining.

the scary thing about the whole d.i.y's well in my case any ways, the tool box i am doing it with cost $30 or so!

real tools would make the difference!

thanks again jords

Icon6 oh man!

well as it seams i have taken on a bit more than i've ever done to a car before.but i have it all apart!its a full home job rebuild and the worst thing is that there are more than small probs!

well two of the pistons are cracked down at the lower skirt/skirts!dam it sucks!i now have to get new pistons and liners and told to do the big end bearings and the timing chain!

at this point i am craping my self because the whole engine is in peices and it is taking longer than i thought it would!

can someone tell me how i should be cleaning the inlet mainfold?it seams so very dirty!oviously i know how to clean the throtle body,but the most part of the induction plumbing seams clagy like dirt and crap stuck to the sides!

does anyone know what that is about?or the cause ?what will the prob be with the big end bearings if there is to be one?well all suggestions are welcome to help this be a much easier process!

thanks guys jords

Thread Information