405 Srdt
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 Srdt

Default 405 Srdt

Hi all,

Quick question, i started the car without the intercooler being connected and idled no worries...is this normal? Or should it fail to start with the intercooler taken off?

Advertisement

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by renaulturbo
    Hi all,

Quick question, i started the car without the intercooler being connected and idled no worries...is this normal? Or should it fail to start with the intercooler taken off?

cheers
    It will run ok but remember that it is breathing unfiltered air so you are boring out the cylinders. The intercooler merely cools the air which is heated up by the compressing process of the turbo. As hot air expands, the compressed air is not as dense and therefore containing as much oxygen as possible. So the intercooler cools the air, allows more oxygen to be present because the air is denser and therefore allows more bang for your buck as the fuel can burn better.

By running it without the intercooler fitted you are effectively running the car as a NA diesel but without filtration. The pump would be struggling to compensate as the aneroid cant compensate for unboosted air. The car should be blowing black smoke like crazy due to excess fuel being injected and not burnt efficiently.

In short it should run (badly) but why would you do it?

Did you get the parts ok?
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Yep i understand and agree with what you say but it was something that stuck in my mind from when i was repairing the car. I just wanted to turn the engine but it started on me and ran with no heavy smoking...Which went against what i beleived. I remember when i was living in Europe this Fiat Uno turbo came to the garage with a blown turbo, God that was a smoke machine! And it didnt start after he stopped the car.

Yeah no worries with the parts, thanks for that. The car goes like new and all for just over $3500!!! Im wrapped

at idle it shouldnt blow excessive smoke if you fed it some throttle though it would be very smokey.

Glad you got the bits OK they are a great car and that is a really good price. I nearly bought another one last week but lost the phone connection to the auction. Car had minor damage on the LHS and was white. Bugger I had all the bits to make a very cheap car. Ah well. Ill keep looking.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information