406 timing belt
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 timing belt

Tadpole

Default 406 timing belt

Hi I'm new here so be gentle.

I'm originally from South Africa but living in Dublin at the moment.
    I've got a 406 1800cc 16v which desperately needs a timing belt change. I thought the previous owner had it done but I now find out it hasn't been done.
    I usually do timing belt changes myself but the Peugeot setup seems to be more complicated than usual. I've had a few reads thru the Haynes manual and that hasn't been of much use. The in depth details are just skipped over, in true Haynes fashion.

So my question is this. Can someone who has done this job before give me some advice and some more details.

If I turn the engine over I can get the two cams to line up, but going on what the manual tells me, the crankshaft 'hole' is no where near where it should be. I could just make a mark myself and go on that but I'd rather be sure.

Then the tensioner. Why couldn't Peugeot put a spring on the tensioner like the other manufacturers? So any details on setting the tensioner would also help.

Advertisement

I've been advised to replace the tensioner and idler pulley at the same time. Isn't this overkill?

Thanks
    Ryan

Fellow Frogger!

You crankshaft pully will need replacing.

There is a rubber harmonic damper between the metal inner & the metal outter part that is bonded to each half.

What happens is the bonding starts to fail & the pully will then fall apart & wreck the engine in the process.

You only know the pully is on the way out when it either starts squealing & then fails or you go to change the cam belt & the pullys lock pin hole wont line up with the hole in the engine block.

Fit a new pully when you change the cambelt & count yourself lucky you have caught this in time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeePower
    You crankshaft pully will need replacing.

There is a rubber harmonic damper between the metal inner & the metal outter part that is bonded to each half.

What happens is the bonding starts to fail & the pully will then fall apart & wreck the engine in the process.

You only know the pully is on the way out when it either starts squealing & then fails or you go to change the cam belt & the pullys lock pin hole wont line up with the hole in the engine block.

Fit a new pully when you change the cambelt & count yourself lucky you have caught this in time.
    The harmonic balancer is part of the aux drive belt set up the crankshaft pulley that drives the timing belt is behind this and can not slip. It is a solid drive pulley with a keyway that mates to the crankshaft.

The hole in the crankshaft is difficult to find, hidden behind the starter. (much easier when you can see it with the motor out. After you know where to feel it is a simple task) If the hole didnt line up you would know about it already as your motor would be stuffed.

Lock the pulley's on the camshafts and the crank and you will be fine.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information