504 - Engine Troubles (misfiring)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 - Engine Troubles (misfiring)

Gday all.

I have a 1980 2L Carb Peugeot 504. I rebuilt the motor ~3000km ago.

Advertisement

On these cold canberra mornings the car will start fine, run for 1-2seconds then misfire and stall again, no matter how much or how little throttle i give it. After a few cycles of this i will eventualy be able to get the revs up above 2000 and provided i keep them up there for a while it will not misfire. Given a short warmup when ever the car is driven under again rougly 2-3k RPM it will missfire. The only way to get the car moving is starting with the revs high and slipping the clutch excessivly. It is slowly getting worse and worse, after the rebuild it was never a problem, id drive the car without a warmup and it would go fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Alex.

~Update: It looks like it is a mixture issue for sure.
    Last edited by alex504; 25th July 2004 at 01:52 AM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

check to make sure your choke is coming all the way off and re check your carb settings

sounds like it is running rich and flooding the car a bit
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Ok, Well i played with the mixture adjustment abit on sunday but couldnt notice any increase / decrease in engine revs. Anyway now the car wont start, i have put the mixture screw back to its original position (i counted the number of turns) and still having issues. I tried cleaning the plugs with sandpaper but it didnt seem to work to well. Any ideas of what to try next?

1000+ Posts

Alex, do you still have the mechanical fuel pump? I'm thinking about things that could cause this during a rebuild. I wonder if it could be that this isn't re-mounted properly so that the pump stroke is too short, and the car isn't getting fueling once the float chamber is empty. Have you mounted it differently - say with a thicker spacer?

If the car revs out OK when going, this is unlikely, though.
    Stuey

yeah i still have the mechanical fuel pump, but it has been "reving out fine". i will see what the spark is like tommorow and try to narrow it down abit, after talking to pugrambo im thinking i may have forgoten to put the rotor back in to the dizy or pulled one of the coil wires our or somthing along those lines.

Tadpole

do you have electonic ignition,if so clean the copper terminals inside distributor cap by scraping with points file or similar & the sparking edge of the rotor button.

Thread Information