Wheels for my 205gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wheels for my 205gti

I am in the process of buying a s1 205gti (the project car that is in the cars for sale section) and am trying to decide whether to stick with the 14” wheels or to get the later model 15” ones. The car currently has no wheels so I need to buy something. I know what the s1 wheels look like (I currently have a s1 205gti) and I think I know the 15” later wheels too, these are the 8 spokers aren’t they? Are the 15” wheels the same offset as the 14”ones? i.e. do they fit straight on? Will there be any handling differences with the two wheels? Are they the same width? i.e. do you have the same amount of rubber on the road with both? All opinions welcome!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    I am in the process of buying a s1 205gti (the project car that is in the cars for sale section) and am trying to decide whether to stick with the 14” wheels or to get the later model 15” ones. The car currently has no wheels so I need to buy something. I know what the s1 wheels look like (I currently have a s1 205gti) and I think I know the 15” later wheels too, these are the 8 spokers aren’t they? Are the 15” wheels the same offset as the 14”ones? i.e. do they fit straight on? Will there be any handling differences with the two wheels? Are they the same width? i.e. do you have the same amount of rubber on the road with both? All opinions welcome!
    there shouldn't be a difrence in handeling between the 14" and 15" wheels.... however if you do put the 15's on a s1 205 GTI then you will increaste the rolling diamatre and put your speedo out of whack unless you fit smaler tires... i beleive the corect size for the 14's was 185/60 R14 so you are going to have to find some 185/50's or go to a 175 on the 15's otherwise you will put your speedo out of whack... i have atached pictures of both the 14's and 15's

Last edited by orestes; 24th July 2004 at 02:58 PM. Reason: upload of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    15 x 6 (Series 3, UK 1.9L)
    or
    14 x 5.5 (Pepperpots, UK 1.6L)

The 15's look much better and are more highly sort after. Most people tend to over tyre the 15" wheel. They came std. with 185/55/15, but many fit 195/50/15. They bolt straight on, same off set etc., although the wheel nuts are slighlty different in cosmetic appearance only. They have a shorter head. The 14" nut head is much longer as it is recessed deeper into the wheel. Adrian Wuillemin still has a set of 15's for sale.

185/55/15 - 544 revs/km
    185/60/14 - 551 revs/km

or 1.2%
    Last edited by PeterT; 24th July 2004 at 03:07 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Peter, you are right, the 15s look horn on the 205. They just give the car that 'meatier' look. When you see them against the standard rims you get with the 205si there is no compromise.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Peter, you are right, the 15s look horn on the 205. They just give the car that 'meatier' look. When you see them against the standard rims you get with the 205si there is no compromise.
    On the other hand there are plenty of people wanting to sell you their 14 inch wheels!
    I found this out when I thought I was going to sell my 205 SI to a buyer who wanted alloys.
    Since I'm now keeping the car you could check my thread and make an offer.
    Graham Wallis

Thread Information