306gti6 vs 306xsi
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306gti6 vs 306xsi

what are the differences between the two cars? Dad is thinking of getting a 306gti6 and i was just wondering what this car has over the xsi (appart from the extra gear)? have not driven an xsi but have driven two gti6's. a 99 and a 98, is there any differences between the 99 and the 98 gti6's? the 99 was quicker to respond. not sure if this is down to the tuning and condition of the 98 or if the cas have different specs? anyone know?

Advertisement

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

GTi6s look much better for some reason.

As far as suspension, engine etc I have absolutely no idea. I have heard that the XSi is the same as the Australan Rallye. But you know what? I love my GTi6, by god she is just the best looking car on the road and goes like the clackers.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    GTi6s look much better for some reason

correct me if im wrong but late model 306's (mid 99 built and on) all got the GTI6 body kit
    Last edited by orestes; 24th July 2004 at 03:23 PM.

1000+ Posts

Stone Free,

Sorry you're wrong The XSi is different to the Australian Ralleye. The Ralleye is a re-badged last-of-run 306XT. It has the standard 306 suspension, and importantly, no ABS as far as I'm aware.

The 306 XSi has the same suspension as the GTi6/S16 which rides ~20mm lower than the standard 306. The XSi and GTi6 both have ABS standard.

In reality, the only difference between the XSi and GTi6 of that age is performance at the top end. Some "in-house" testing shows the XSi and the GTi6 are similar in performance up to about 80km/h where the extra "revability" of the GTi6 motor comes into play.

I settled for the XSi as it was more practical for me (4 doors), but still performs well, and handles twisty roads superbly

Derek.

I don't think they came with the high rear spoiler did they? I parked near a 'poverty pack' XT today and there was something distinct between my ride and the XT that I couldn't quite put my finger on. THe rims certainly make a difference and I think the GTi6 sits lower. Any thoughts people??

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Stone Free,

Sorry you're wrong The XSi is different to the Australian Ralleye. The Ralleye is a re-badged last-of-run 306XT. It has the standard 306 suspension, and importantly, no ABS as far as I'm aware.

The 306 XSi has the same suspension as the GTi6/S16 which rides ~20mm lower than the standard 306. The XSi and GTi6 both have ABS standard.

In reality, the only difference between the XSi and GTi6 of that age is performance at the top end. Some "in-house" testing shows the XSi and the GTi6 are similar in performance up to about 80km/h where the extra "revability" of the GTi6 motor comes into play.

I settled for the XSi as it was more practical for me (4 doors), but still performs well, and handles twisty roads superbly

Derek.

Thanks for the clarification DeKa, I wasn't sure.

Another difference to consider is that GTi6 owners tend to be more fanatical about their cars Not sure if many of the XSi drivers know what exactly it is they are driving. Mind you, I could be wrong.

Nothing wrong with a late model XSi. If you're after a family run-about it'd be a better car than a 6.

Tadpole

'Scuse me to butt in, being a newbie an' all - but I always thought the main difference between a GTI-6 and a XSi was that the former has a 16v head and the latter only an 8v. Hence 160'ish bhp for the GTI-6 and 130'ish for the XSi.

Or have I got that one wrong??

They are both XUJ10 engines, with different headas, J4RS being the 6 one. They're both 16 valve. XSi is 100kw and 6 is 124kw. In every day conditions the difference is actually quite marginal

Deka et al,
    I don't know about the differences between the Xsi and the Gti6, but my Aussie Rallye definately has ABS, and according to some specs I read somewere also EBD but I'm not sure about that

Part of an article from Drive or somewhere:

"Peugeot rallies round its 306
    Tuesday 17 April 2001
    The Rallye replaces the top-selling 306 XT hatch in Australia and shares the 100kW 2-litre engine with the 306 XSi five-door. The Rallye also gets the XSi's choice of five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission.
    Standard features on the Rallye include dual SRS airbags, engine immobiliser, ABS, 15-inch alloy wheels, automatic rain-sensing wipers, power windows and mirrors, CD player and climate control and air-conditioning.
    The special edition 306 2.0 Rallye goes on sale from April 19."

My Rallye's got all the features mentioned

Cheers guys

Paltallo

So begs the question, what is the difference between the Rallye and the XSi? They sound like the same car. Probably been mentioned before but couldn't be bothered searching.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

So begs the question, what is the difference between the Rallye and the XSi? They sound like the same car. Probably been mentioned before but couldn't be bothered searching.

have you read through the 306 timeline sticky at the top of this forum

there is a lot of info that has been placed in there over the time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

From what I remember looking at the Rallye had the same trim as the XT (ie seats, upholstery), not the XSi trim. The suspension setup is the same as the XT.

Troy.

PugRambo; yeah, I did read it but by god it was confusing. I think it is difficult for us down here to relate to what France sends over as there tends to be about a 6-8 month gap between production and arrival (just look at the 180 for example). From what I have heard some shipments even have a mix of current and previous models.

Rallye has normal XT seats and normal XT suspension. XSi has sport seats and nicer interior and the 6 suspension. Simple.

The Rallye was a very limited edition, only sold a couple hundred of them, I believe. It was a great buy, no doubt at all. But the XSi had the better suspension set up.... not that the XT was shabby by any stretch!

There's still a black 2.0 Rallye for sale at ULR in South Yarra, $18000 or something I think. Pretty good condition, dark blue or black but automatic transmission.

Did the Rallye and XSi have the same colour range as the GTi6?? I have only seen black or dark blue ones around.

There's still a black 2.0 Rallye for sale at ULR in South Yarra, $18000 or something I think. Pretty good condition, dark blue or black but automatic transmission.

Did the Rallye and XSi have the same colour range as the GTi6?? I have only seen black or dark blue ones around.
    The 6 appeared to be in less colours than the other models, but that's mainly because of a lack of demand, than a restriction from Peugeot...as I recall. You can get a baby blue XSI and Rallye, for example.

My MY96 series I XSi had the 8-valve engine with the 4-speed auto, and while it was a great car for cruising, it certainly wasn't a GTi6 in takeoff. I don't recall ever having any complaints about suspension, though.

I'd normally post an attachment to show you a non-dark ("Sigma") blue XSi colour at this point, only I'm no longer able to do so for some reason, so here's a link or two instead:

http://206gti.net/grr/3/750_313.jpg
    or
    http://206gti.net/grr/3/750_295.jpg

... I'd normally plug in a smilie to express my dissatisfaction, only I'm no longer able to do that, either ... Next step -- 24x80 green screens. Welcome back to the 1980s!
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

That looks like the area around Toolangi/Mt St leonards is it Mr Bern??

But yes, that's the blue XSi I keep seeing around, as well as a darker one. I have yet to see any other colours.

No -- to be very specific, those photos were taken at a sacred site for Pug drivers (well, almost ...).

You'll no doubt know that your 306 (and my 206) come from Peugeot's Ryton plant in Coventry ... well, that photo's taken at a nice quiet spot on one of Victoria's best-kept secret country Pug roads, the Grand Ridge Road through the Strzelecki Ranges in South Gippsland, where the Midland Highway meets the Grand Ridge Road, at a place called ... (wait for it!) ...

RYTON JUNCTION!!!

You owe it to yourself to go there at least once ... it's a 140-odd-km road, maybe 60% dirt, and it was made just for us. If, however, the thought of all that dirt road appals you (like it does a lot of my fellow 206 drivers), you can at least pretend you've been there, by taking my v-tour at http://206gti.net/grr/ ...
    Last edited by mr bern; 25th November 2005 at 05:06 PM.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Could start some controversey here but I will see what happends.

There are loads of differences between the 6 and the XSI. I will list what the 6 has that the XSI doesn't.

6 speed manual gear box.
    Leather/alacantra seats.
    Climate control air conditioning.
    I am almost certain the 6 is lower than the XSI as well.
    The J4RS engine is quite different to the XSI engine.

My GTI6 also has the full Peugeot alarm system with ultrasonic sensors but I do not know whether thus was standard or not in Australia.

Have a look at the trim brochure on this website and it should answer most of your questions. Just remember that the UK rallye mentioned is different to the Aus rallye. The UK rallye is effectively a light weight GTI6 (GTI6 minus aircon, power windows etc.).

http://www.306gti6.com/downloads/downloads.php
    Last edited by Lightning; 26th July 2004 at 10:20 PM.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

1000+ Posts

I'm not defending the XSi, but what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
    Climate control air conditioning.
    All 306's including the lowly (approx) $23 000 306 XR had climate control in Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
    I am almost certain the 6 is lower than the XSI as well.
    My measurements indicated they're exactly the same, and lower than the 306 Rallye and 306 XT I compared the cars to. Admittedly these measurements were taken on 2-3 year old 30-60 000km cars, but it *should* have been quite an accuate representation of how they were when new.

Derek.

Doh. Sorry for the error about the aircon. I stand corrected. Too much time in England for me.

Re. Lowering, I will check it out. My friend has a 5 door 306, same age as mine and she parked it next to mine the other day out the front of the house. I thought mine looked lower. I will check out next time she comes round and let you know what the result is. My 6 is a personal import so maybe mine is different to the 6s sold new in Aus.

Edited to add hers is an XT. I am in error again! Didn't read the post properly. XSI and 6 same height.
    Last edited by Lightning; 26th July 2004 at 10:51 PM.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Lightning: I don't have an alarm, only the factory immobiliser. It's infra-red one so it takes a bit of pointing and shooting to make it work. The receiver is on the interior light panel on the ceiling.

Mr Bern: Thanks for that advice! I will go down and check it out one day. I visit the Strzleckis a fair bit. I do however think that mine is a French built vehicle. Doesn't matter though.

Thread Information